Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Diesel to Biodiesel and back again?

One piece of information I've been trying to suss out and not having any luck with other online resources so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone knows for sure.

Everything I've read about Biodiesel (not waste veg-oil) is that it's 'essentially' interchangeable with regular diesel fuel, there's no conversion necessary, which is great.

BUT, what I want to know is, can you fill up with either Diesel or Bio depending on availability? Say I'm down to my last few gallons of Bio, and there isn't another Bio station nearby - can I just fill it with regular Diesel and keep driving? Like, is there a problem mixing them in the same tank, or do you need to somehow run the tank dry before switching from one to the other?

It seems like you should be able to if they're truly interchangeable, but I can't find any confirmation on it.
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I've driven interchangeably on both. Biodiesel is readily available in the midwestern states but not so much in, say, south Florida. Truckers mix and match whatever is available at whatever truck stops they use.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
It is my understanding that the base oil and method used for brewing the biodiesel can have an effect on the energy available in the biodeisel,. However, the effect is not enough to be concerned about for most applications. Besides, one can not tell what was used to make the biodiesel sold at the pump. Note: I have no personal experience with biodiesel unless it is already at the pump.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I've driven interchangeably on both. Biodiesel is readily available in the midwestern states but not so much in, say, south Florida. Truckers mix and match whatever is available at whatever truck stops they use.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping! No reason not to at least aim for Biodiesel stations then!
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

That's my understanding too. Mix as needed.

I am finding www.biodiesel.org to be a great resource finding biodiesel filling stations. I'll be driving my newly purchased bus up from NM shortly on biodiesel!
Kate.