Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
dt466 two tank questions

Have not been able to locate a fuel pump so i am assuming there is an injector pump that pulls fuel to engine. Need to know if i need to install an aux. fuel pump and if so would a suitable location be just prior to the port selector and stock fuel filters? Any and all tips are needed as to whether im on the right track thanks

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: dt466 two tank questions

Your Bosch injection pump has an integrated lift pump. The general concensus is that you will not need an aux. fuel pump if the tank is mounted above the level of the injector pump as gravity will feed it. However, there is no reason not to have a small pump. The veggie oil, even if it is thinned and warmed, will have a viscosity far greater than that of diesel. The aux. pump will help alleviate any strain and will not be damaging so long as you don't run a high pressure pump...but you probably wouldn't because of cost. An aux. pump will also make priming far FAR easier and you will have to prime it at some point.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

If your tank is higher than the ip, you prob can get away with not having an aux pump. I've had very poor luck getting veggie oil in a tank under the bus to flow into the injector pump without a pump.

while you're playing with fuel lines, you should put a pump, or at least a priming bulb on the diesel fuel line. This one is more important than the veggie line to me. when running veggie, you WILL run out of fuel from time to time. It can be a major project priming the stock fuel system once air is introduced into the system. The difference between a having a diesel pump and not having one are this.....

you're cruising along on veggie and the engine dies....you could be out of fuel, have plugged veggie filter, or any other veggie problem. if you have electric valve to switch between veggie/diesel, and you have a 12 volt electric pump on the diesel fuel line, you simple flip a couple of switches, turn the key and she'll fire right up while you're still rolling. Conversely, if you don't have a pump on the diesel side......you have to stop the bus, or if you don't have enough speed park in the middle of the street. Get out, open the hood, run around to the drivers side, stand between the tire and the frame rail, pump the little hand pump on the side of the injector pump approximately 15 thousand times, then run around and try to start the engine.....then come back and pump the little hand pump again, then run back and try to sthart the engine: repeat...

i have had very good luck with a middle of the road idea, which is one of these, available from wal-mart here in michigan. simple, effective, no wires, and moves way more fuel than the hand pump on the side of the injector pump. you can squeese the primer bulb till it gets kidn of hard, then pump the stock hand pump about 10 or 15 times, then start the engine, and pump the primer bulb a few more times till she starts running smoothly.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Skoolie

I have the electric port switch and also the aux. pump so sounds like the gameplan is sound for the intallation. Even though my tank is somewhat higher than the IP I think the flow needs a pump since it will be coming through a centrifuge filter after the tank which has all hoses fed from the top. thanks for the input
ten days till oregon coast trip
Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycler
ten days till oregon coast trip
good luck man!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Hey recycler'

I am located in central Oregon right off of Hwy 97 near Bend. I don't know what route you are taking and I am a couple hours from the coast but you are free to contact me (post here, or e-mail) if you want/need a place to park for a few days or a spot to work on your bus.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Skoolie

Thanks for the offer Abbot not quite sure as to the time-frame and route but I'll keep you in mind when enroute. Got another question on the dt466. I am seeing two hard pipe plumbed valves coming off the engine one just to the right of the drivers foot and the other in engine compartment on door side. I think that these will be my tap-in points for plumbing ease. Anything sound wrong? I'm also double-checking my pump so what kind of pressures am I dealing with or more importantly what kind of pressure makes my stock pumps happy?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
Skoolie

To my understanding adding an inline pump cannot hurt anything unless you have a gear driven diaphragm lift pump. If the diaphragm ruptures it's possible to push veggie into the crankcase. That's the way it is on my '89 5.9 12v 1st gen.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Which pump are you guys using for an Aux pump, my boss has bought a $700 pump filter combo for his truck, way too much for my present finances .

If you put it on the injector pump side of the flow switch does it need to run all the time or just to prime? I was thinking it would go between the heated tank and and the filters, but that does help a bit for priming if you have to switch to diesel.
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Skoolie

DT466 question does anyone know if the bosch ip has a diaphragm? I just dont want my aux pump to rupture it. almost done with installation, just afew more fittings and the priming can begin any last minute suggestions skoolie universe?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Skoolie

I have bulb from napa that is installed about a foot from the tank since it only pushes fluid once primed. It doesnt have much intake pressure on its own so placing it close to the tank in an easy to reach location is key. I primed mine with about four squeezes of the bulb, prime stock pump, crank, and repeat once more and the sputters turned into smooth flow. This was without bleeding the air, just pushing it through by cranking. This really did not take too much cranking and was surprisingly easy.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #12

Year: 1979
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66

I too have an International DT466 (circa 1979) about to take on a new veggie tank and have been trying to find what pump works best in this case. I don't know all the aspects to look out for (for example, the possible gear driven diaphragm lift pump).

I just want the appropriate flow rate, psi, and moxie to move veggie...my non-knowledge worries me. Any suggestions for an aux pump that fits the bill?

Much thanks!
Sketchbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Skoolie

My dt466 is an 86 so i'm not sure the pumps would be the same but would guess it is. My system took a fass auxillary fuel pump that self regulated the pressure of the flow rate at around 16/17. If your not confident just ask a good diesel mechanic how much pressure you need to maintain for your ip. Agood way is to find the local school bus yard and go ask. In my experience they have been very happy to shed light in the dark areas of my inexpertise. You might also try asking a tech through e-mail at one of the bigger veggie oil conversion companies for their intrest is to help. As far as i am aware there is some sort of spring that regulates the pressure. Good luck and let me know if i can help in any way my system has 4000 miles on it and has been flawless from day one. I love it and trust it to go anywhere in just about any weather. We live at 10,000 ft above sea-level in the rockies so 5 to 10 below zero and beyond is in normal operational range.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #14

Year: 1979
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66

The dark areas of inexpertise. Tell me about it. I'm scared to death about the first time I flip the switch to veggie on my system.

Speaking of the system, at it's heart is Frybrid's kit, which has (hopefully) well-placed confidence. The FASS pumps have been very appealing lately, and thanks for the hot lead. My question is where did you locate it in the chain of components? I've heard that they don't pull as much as push, so they would need to be before the filters and centrifuge. If that were the case, the poor pump wouldn't be dealing with the nice hot refined oil.

If you stuck it near the end of the chain, next to the IP, has it been able to draw enough?
Sketchbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
Skoolie

well, my pump is located after tank and heated filter only about a foot away, with about two feet between it and my fuel selector switch. The fuel line then continues for about 6 feet until it reaches the ip. All of this has the coolant hoses wrapped tightly around it except for maybe 10 inches of line. My tank also has an aluminum coolant line in the bottom which brings my wvo to around 100 degrees in about a halfmile to a mile of drive-time. Since i have a 12 volt heated filter on my tank the pump sucks nice hot wvo from start to finish. So to be clear it rolls like this -coolant heated tank..to heated filter..to fass pump..toport selector.. to ip. My lines also loop over my tranny and i assume this is keeping them warm from the outside as well. As for the fear associated with making the jump from petroleum to wvo, I drove mine around until hot and then parked it in the yard maintained about a 10,000 rpm revved idle(the big red button)and switched it over. After about a minute it sputtered and black exhaust changed to white. I now know that when I'm cruising down the highway there is enough suck to pull it through smooth enough that I can't even detect it other than a odor change. Mine is also wired so all I have to do is start engine, flick heated filter swtch, drive a mile and flick port switch. Everything is fairly concealed under body-work except for the tank and filter which are built into a trunk shaped cabinet (complete with huge ominous dog to deter any curiosity). Unless you were skooled in the art of veg skoolie you wouldn't know what was up. Making the jump to veg is the greatest feeling next to the feeling you get whenever you pass a gasoline slavery pump and aren't given the opportunity to take part in an impulse buy at the station. Good luck and lets hear how it goes yo!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #16
Skoolie

There are many different types of pumps and they are usually specific to be pullers or pushers, also the filters are designed in the same way some are pushers and some are pullers. Waddup J
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
Skoolie

sorry its off topic but did you ever get anywhere with that diesel (veg) motorcycle idea i read you were thinking on? On a nother note I've been cruising for a vw rabbit truck. some pretty good deals out there yo!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
Skoolie

Yeah anyone looking to install an aux pump make sure you know if your stock lift pump is 12v or gear driven. If it's gear driven you have the risk of pushing veggie into your crankcase oil. If it's 12v then yes a FASS pump is a good way to go to insure good pressure at the IP. It's always a good idea to place pressure and vacuum gauges in your system to know if what's goin on. Either pump failure or filter clogging.