Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Almost There

Home Made "In-Tank" heater for WVO

Winter IS here! So I just wanted to share something I made for heating WVO in-tank.

Basically cost about $35 dollars. Its made out of flexable metal gas line I purchased at the hardware store. As well as some brass fittings to connect to the coolant lines I have running to the tank. A little hardwork (Ok most of the hardwork was getting the damn fuel tank out! Its a 60gallon size tank, and was covered in layers and layers of dirt).

The only things I found equivalant to what I wanted cost about $200 bucks! Yikes!

The coolant lines (copper tubing I purchased at the hardware store as well as the compression style fittings) also run next to the fuel lines which has the benefit of heating the fuel lines.

Im considering insulating the copper lines next to the fuel lines. You think that hardware 'expanding foam' stuff would work?

P.S. make sure you use thread sealant when connecting this stuff together. I found that out the hard way after I already put the gas tank back in, started her up and realize that it was leaking coolant out of the fittings

ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Bus Geek

insulating with spray foam would work excellent but seems like it could be a lot of hassle.

i think that just wrapping the fuel lines and coolant lines together with about any sort of material (except something with a lowe melting point) works quite well also.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Not trying to bring you down but I would not trust those flex lines. I have had lots of them break on old furnaces. I don't know if it is the vibration from the furnace for all those years but they do crack.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
What type of flex lines are those? The stainless steel Gas-Tite and similar types of flex hose have held up for a long time as long as they were run correctly in the settings I've seen, but there are also cheaper, non-code approved flex lines that don't seem to do so well.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Skoolie

I'd tape down those compression-fitting nuts so they don't loosen up from vibration.
And the flex tube is a nice idea, but remember they are for 3-5 PSI gas lines, and those lines only move when you pull out the stove (VERY infrequent!).

See if the Grainger or McMaster-Carr catalog has something better in a braided stainless steel line. Guaranteed to not fail due to vibration, that's what they're made for.