Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
How many microns for veggie oil?

I am interested in converting my engine over to veggie oil and am researching the project. I am an aircraft mechanic for a living and where I work, we do week long inspections on the E-3 AWACS every 6 months. Every time a jet comes in, we change all of the fuel filters on the engines. They are about 4 inches tall, and as big around as a coffee can. They get changed every 6 months and they are like brand spanking new when we change them. Then we just throw them away... They filter down to 30 microns. I could easily make something to use them to filter heated veggie oil. Is 30 microns small enough to put oil in my veggie tank at least? How many microns do I need to be down to before it goes into my engine? How many microns does a typical diesel fuel filter, filter down to? Thanks for any info!

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Most people filter to 5 microns. Some fanatics even go as small as 1-2 microns. Either way, the factory fuel filters at best will do about 10 microns. I would assume the difference between these and jets might have to do with the mirror surfaces within the injecter pump versus the "looser" tolerances within a jet engine, but that is simply speculation. It is important to realize that microns ratings are done differently. I would lean to the conservative side and go to atleast 5 microns if you are using the typical water filter trick or filter bags.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
Bus Nut

5 microns and you want most of the water out. 500 PPM is the standard for biodiesel so you will want to be close to that.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Almost There

Well it really depends on how paranoid you wanna be about it.

I have two filters in my bus, both of which are washable Metal Mesh. The first is a 30micron filter, and the second is a 10micron filter. I also filter before putting into the tank.

Alot of the times I filter on the go, I also dont have alot of money to keep buying all these filterbags and disposable filters and such. PLUS YOU CREATE WASTE, when you do it that way.

My filter system has been working good, although its possible I dont get all the water out. However, I do tend to use fuel that is pretty good, and am rather selective.
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote