Old 08-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #11
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
Originally Posted by hoser
How about burning the oil to heat your home too ?
IT can be done, and there are those who do it. The biggest problem is that at atmospheric pressure diesel fuel (HHO) gives off enough vapor to ignite at about 120 degrees. This is the flash point. IT may vary a few degrees, but it's always above 100. (due to much higher shipping costs. Fuels that have an VP below 100 are considered flamable, while those above 100 degrees are only considered combustable.)

Veggie oil needs to be around or even above 300 degrees to ignite. If you atomize veggie into a spray and try to ignite it at room temperature, which esentually is what a fuel oil boiler does, nothing will happen. The trick is finding an efficient method to heat the oil above 300 degrees. One more thing just to add to the complexity to the equationis that the standard fuel oil boiler pump can't handle liquids much over 100 degrees. There are not very many inches from the pump to the nozzle in which to increase the temperature of the liquid by 200 degrees.

Veggie works in a diesel engine due to the extremely high compression. The temperature at which a liquid will ignite decreases as the pressure increases.
I am thinking more on the lines of this not a regular oil burner. ... h/me5.html
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote