Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
My bet is you are returning diesel to the veg tank.
Here is a common plumbing map-manual valves or soleinoids work the same way-3 way switches. I'm guessing you have them working in the wrong order.
GreaseCarsystem.jpg Photo by FossilFool | Photobucket

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, sdwarf. I don't think the plumbing is wrong because everything is still in the configuration it was in when I purchased the vehicle, back when everything worked correctly. Do you think I might have confused the switches when I put the batteries back in? Perhaps I connected the switches for the valves and heaters to the positive battery terminal instead of the negative one or vice versa? What would that do?

I'll go research wiring diagrams, now, because I have no idea how the wiring for a vehicle like this is supposed to work, and I know I'll need to fix something on it one of these days. Please point me in the right direction if you know of helpful guides for that.

I got back to work this eve. Remember last thing I did was open up the diesel side of the fuel system to try to see if any return was making it, so I knew I'd have air in the lines. I primed the engine, primed the fuel filter, turned the key (to charge the pump), repeated those things and started the bus. It ran for a little while before dying out. I unscrewed the return line between the diesel filter and the tank and there didn't appear to be any fuel in it, even though the filter itself was at high pressure after working the pump for a while. The bus didn't run for very long, but it definitely ran long enough that it should have filled the return line with diesel fuel.

I ordered a new filter from napa, because now I think that the old filter has gotten so gummed up that it has prevented fuel from returning to the diesel tank. I can't tell by looking inside it, but there was some sediment and discoloration (probably iron oxide) in the water catch beneath it.

What do you all think? Could my original symptoms have been caused by something as simple as a dusty fuel filter? Do you think that all of that excess fuel that's missing from my diesel tank could have pushed its way into my veg tank regardless of which way the return switch was pointing? Do you think I'll need to replace the contraption that the filter screws into as well? What is that even called?

I'm in a bit of a hurry because the neighbors need it to move so their cable guy can get to the house and I've had quite enough to do with code enforcement already. I'll be back to work tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Plan_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, and if you're confused about what filter I'm talking about, it's a wix filter 533755, going to be a napa filter number 3755. It's located between the diesel tank and, erm, I think the return valve (I can't quite see but what else could it be?). It only has two hoses, not like the Mercedes diagram that blends the supply and return fuel. I think the guy that built the rig wanted to keep the oil and diesel as separate as possible. Guess he didn't consider operator error would be a factor

Thanks again
Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
You probably have 2 solenoids-a feed and return. When on veg, both should be activated. When purging, just the return should be. Check to make sure both power up when you throw the switches.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks sdwarf. The valves are getting power, and they seem to be working. I switched the return valve to the up position so that I could watch all the bubbles marching out of my fuel system into my veg tank for a while today. When I switched it off the bubbles stopped.

It was hairy for ~10 minutes once I got it started, even after half an hour of priming the injectors and the new diesel filter over and over again but I got it to run smooth after that. No telling if my fuel consumption problem is behind me or not. I'm not about to crack open my fuel lines again until I know what I'm doing.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Doesn't look too extraordinary to me, this is the inside of the fuel filter I replaced. what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (289.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan_B View Post
Doesn't look too extraordinary to me, this is the inside of the fuel filter I replaced. what do you think?

I presume you cut that open? That thing is FILTHY!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Yes I cut it open. I'm not sorry I replaced it, but it doesn't look bad enough that it would be blocking fuel flow completely.

I think--and this is v embarrassing--that I got the supply and return hoses mixed up when I was trying to test fuel flow last month.

If this bus has any problems at all, I'm its biggest one!

I'm going to try to map out what I think is happening in my fuel system and post for y'all's input. Would this thread be an appropriate place for that or should I start a new thread?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Diagram attached

Edit: by valve I mean solenoid valve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (239.5 KB, 5 views)