Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Is anyone running on WVO? How do you like it?

I'm one of those guys who care about the quality of the air I breath (sorry). But more than anything, I want my bus! The thing is, I stand back and look at the atmosphere over Phoenix or Dallas or Houston or L.A. or scores of other cities, and I can't bring myself to buy a big, fuel-consuming luxury that would contribute to the problem. The solution, I thought, would be a WVO system (besides, I'm not a rich guy that could afford the price of diesel on a long trip). As you may have read on some of my recent posts, I have found a schoolie that has a WVO system installed. Now, as I get nearer to my purchase, I am discovering all the multitude of problems WVO drivers are having. With all this in mind, are any of you running on WVO and what are your opinions/suggestions on the subject? And what about 50/50 oil/diesel?
Appreciate all comments. Thanks.

greyguzziart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
For what it's worth...I have run B100 (100% veggie-based diesel) in my IHC DT360 w/o problems. Smells great too. There is a dealer in Flagstaff (Mountain Biofuel).

The guy who owns it (Mt Biofuel) burns waste veggie oil in his diesel Isuzu Trooper. It's his "company" vehicle...which to me is quite an endorsement of the veggie oil approach.

IMO burning WVO is very do-able, but the industry and science of it is still somewhat young (relatively speaking) and so there seem to be lots of horror stories. From what I read (and admittedly I haven't looked into it for a while) the main issues have stemmed from filtration and preheating of the oil. But people do use it, successfully, and there's no reason why you can't as well.

Again, just IMO.

Good luck
Sean
Old 12-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
For what it's worth, the city of Duluth runs B10 in their entire fleet of 30, 35, and 40 foot Gilligs without issue. Most are powered by Cummins ISM motors while a few have ISL's and C9 Cat's. I know it's not SVO, but if the city is willing to put several millions of dollars worth of machines on the line in this climate, I think it says a whole lot about the possibilites for us small timers.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
Bus Geek

i don't burn much wvo in the winter. I do all my own gathering and filtering. Veggie oil at the restaurant is usually in an outdoor container. Once the temps drop below freezing the oil turns solid and i lack to desire to scoop solid pieces of oil with a shovel.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Here's a website that answers a large number of questions about converting WVO into ready to use biodiesel without engine or fuel system modifications.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

IMHO anyone using WVO, or even SVO, should consider building their own small scale biodiesel processor at some point in the future if it's at all possible. But that's just me!

Larry
Old 02-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I sucked WVO out of 55 gallon drum and it was less than 10F out. It took about 40 minutes instead of 5 and wasn't much fun. Haven't converted the bus yet.

Lots of info here http://www.frybrid.com