Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Mobile Gardens

Has anyone successfully attached a functional garden to the structure of the bus so that it moves with you? What material would be best to build an attached/traveling garden in terms of water and weather and sustainability for the plants? Thank you.

Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

This is the last of 3 videos describing a mobile garden I did for my RV. I think the same set-up could work for a bus as long as you have a towing hitch.

I am currently planning a skoolie conversion and I plan on creating an indoor garden by making an herb bed right into the counter and a hanging tomato plant above it. I'll post videos but that probably won't happen until 2020.

Jason
jasonsulliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Skoolie

Very cool. I was throwing around the idea of building a greenhouse on a trailer. Of course it would need to be aerodynamic to some degree, and very well built to withstand the winds. I was thinking polycarbonate panels like you did, but with steel studs for the framework. This would save on some weight and allow me to get a little more creative with the shapes.

Would be cool to roll up to a farmers market to sell your veggies directly out of the greenhouse. And if you're one of those people who has to fight shadows for sunlight, you could move it once or twice throughout the day to stay in the sun. Obviously not an idea situation, but some people just cant get all day sun where they live.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

start with an inexpensive trailer from HF or Northern tool, it should be light enough to move by hand

I think a back porch is another option, with a small 2 x 3 foot wagon to move pots around with sun required

just a few more ideas
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Skoolie

Moving it around by hand might be tough once you get it loaded with dirt and water it. But perhaps you could put a dolly under the tongue and move it with a quad. Again I'd never want to have to move my garden around daily to chase sun, but some people have limited amounts.