Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista Shortie
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: A Man and His Dog
Pulling WVO System From My Bus

I bought a bus that has a WVO system installed, and I'm looking to remove it - How much work should I expect? It's in a 1994 7.3IDI, and I will be home-basing in an area that rarely gets above freezing in the winter.

Is there a market for used WVO systems? I'll probably keep the tank as a greywater tank.

If you think this is an awful idea and I should keep the system, convince me?

BernieMtnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The only folks I have ever chatted with WVO systems were either super Green and convinced themselves they were saving the planet...or had tried it and found it to be way too much of a hassle. Might be OK if you lived near a source and didn't travel much, but I have heard more DISenchantment than positive feedback. Maybe someone else here knows otherwise but it never interested me.

As for pulling it and going back to a standard fuel delivery system, it sounds like a fair amount of work, but certainly doable.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The only folks I have ever chatted with WVO systems were either super Green and convinced themselves they were saving the planet...or had tried it and found it to be way too much of a hassle. Might be OK if you lived near a source and didn't travel much, but I have heard more DISenchantment than positive feedback. Maybe someone else here knows otherwise but it never interested me.

As for pulling it and going back to a standard fuel delivery system, it sounds like a fair amount of work, but certainly doable.
I'm thinking that the upkeep will be a lot of work for the benefit that it will provide. The diesel system needs some love, so I think with the overhaul I can pull it out at the same time.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
There's a good chance that you could just leave the tank and use it for additional diesel...
Old 10-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Yea why go to the trouble of pulling all the stuff out when it's perfectly usable as a reserve fuel system? Just take the stuff that's WVO specific out, and replace the filters with fresh fuel filters.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
When the greasecar forum was really active years back, the regulars had a well used saying--"greasing-it ain't for everybody." Ok your call. Taking everything off is fairly easy. If there is a seperate tank, that system runs seperately from the stock fuel system. Do some hose tracing-you have diesel inlet hose + a return hose. They will each have a solenoid inline. When there is no power to them, they default to flowing diesel. Look for the in+ out line on the pump--and back to the tank. Bypass the solenoids + the fuel system is back to stock. And any water lines are just tied into the heater hoses. Take out any Tee's + thats corrected.
I know alot of people in your area-but the only grease guys I can think of are down in Randolph.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
When the greasecar forum was really active years back, the regulars had a well used saying--"greasing-it ain't for everybody." Ok your call. Taking everything off is fairly easy. If there is a seperate tank, that system runs seperately from the stock fuel system. Do some hose tracing-you have diesel inlet hose + a return hose. They will each have a solenoid inline. When there is no power to them, they default to flowing diesel. Look for the in+ out line on the pump--and back to the tank. Bypass the solenoids + the fuel system is back to stock. And any water lines are just tied into the heater hoses. Take out any Tee's + thats corrected.
I know alot of people in your area-but the only grease guys I can think of are down in Randolph.
I don't think it's for me. I tinkered and traced today, and it seems to be a relatively simple system without the wvo.

If you know someone who might want a pre-turbo Ford 6.9/7.3 wvo system (minus the tank), let me know! I'll probably pull it off tomorrow or early this week. Randolph isn't too far.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
There's a good chance that you could just leave the tank and use it for additional diesel...
I'll leave the tank, but use it for grey water. Its downhill and already installed.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Yea why go to the trouble of pulling all the stuff out when it's perfectly usable as a reserve fuel system? Just take the stuff that's WVO specific out, and replace the filters with fresh fuel filters.
I'm all for redundancy, but having 75+ gallons of diesel on board seems excessive for my intentions.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
If your not using it for grease just yank it out. Your always messing with them. Heating diesel is a pain in itself. The only benefit is just using it as a unheated system and having a extra tank. If your range or want isn't that far just take it out. Its a love for teh system that keeps them alive that why you see so many WVo systems not running any more. They lost there love for them after about the 100th time they failed them some how.

I can tell you when your at the fuel pump the guy that does not mind buying the diesel at all is a ex fryer buyer.

Craigslist the whole thing after its out. some one that has never used a system before is always ready to create the perfect system. Dont get in the way of there dream.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
If your not using it for grease just yank it out. Your always messing with them. Heating diesel is a pain in itself. The only benefit is just using it as a unheated system and having a extra tank. If your range or want isn't that far just take it out. Its a love for teh system that keeps them alive that why you see so many WVo systems not running any more. They lost there love for them after about the 100th time they failed them some how.

I can tell you when your at the fuel pump the guy that does not mind buying the diesel at all is a ex fryer buyer.

Craigslist the whole thing after its out. some one that has never used a system before is always ready to create the perfect system. Dont get in the way of there dream.
I appreciate the feedback! I'll gonna pull it tomorrow and leave the tank.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:00 AM   #12

I'm one with a crazy dream of wvo. I would be interested in taking a look before you take it out and possibly take it off your hands. If the bus is in vt
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I'm one with a crazy dream of wvo. I would be interested in taking a look before you take it out and possibly take it off your hands. If the bus is in vt
I've pulled most of it out- it seems pretty simple. I have the expensive pieces, it just won't include the fuel tank or coolant lines/connections. I do have all of the valves and coolant-fuel combo, as well as the wiring and filter and filter heater coil.

I'm in Burlington, so if you would like to get together, send me a DM!

Old 03-09-2017, 07:07 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: T444E
Did this ever find a home?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
simonsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, wvo