Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
Running a fuel oil/diesel boat heater off WVO/biodiesel??

Since i'm becoming enamored with the "diesel everything" option for simplicity instead of having propane too, is there any reason I cant run a diesel or fuel oil or kerosene style heater off WVO or biodiesel? Has anyone researched this? It would seem if I could find sources to get vehicle fuel for almost-free why not use it for space heating water heating and maybe even cooking too? (if they make diesel hot plates or ranges, i'd think someone would have to)

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Running a fuel oil/diesel boat heater off WVO/biodiesel??

yes there is.

the temperature at which a liquid gives off enough vapor to ignite at sea level is the flash point. diesel fuel's flashp point is somewhere just above 100 degrees...wvo has a flash point 3 times that of diesel fuel. what does this mean when burning wvo in appliances meant for diesel? IT means that in most cases you have to heat your oil to around 300 degrees to get it to burn properly. Why you may ask does wvo work in a diesel engine without being heated to high temperatures? It's because of compression. The compression creates enough heat to ignite the wvo inside the cylinders.