Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Re: Two Birds - Veggie Conversion Thread

PS: I just noticed the hose is rated at 150 degrees farenheit. Technically, this isn't high enough as the buses run up about 30 degrees higher or so. Any problems with lines?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

No WVO thread-but willing to answer questions.
Your engine may like warm veggie-that why you have a FPHE-but you won't need to get your tank that warm. As long as its warm enough to flow forward, that all you need. I have a small water line to heat my pick up. It still will get the tank into the 120-130 range. The hoses are fine after 4 years. (My 7.3 naturally heats the oil-the fuel bowl is in the middle of engine-plus the fuel goes thru the heads.)
Run your engine up to temp-now put your hand on the IP-I bet its pretty warm. How much you think that your IP + FPHE together hold? A quart? The few minutes it takes to burn that quart, it will be plenty warm. Why heat oil you won't be using for hours?
My pick up. The heat hose is coated aluminum-stove hook up gas line from HD.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I like banjo fittings. IMO there is nothing better.

I would not even concern myself with buildup in lines, fittings, ect. If you are getting buildup of anything in your lines, your doing something way wrong, and your going to have much much bigger issues when that crap reaches your injection pump, and injectors.

The centrifuge will clean the oil better than any filter is going to. Pe settling helps a ton. When I get back to using waste oil as fuel, I'm going to set a 1000 gal propane tank on end, paint it black and fill it. The sun will heat the oil, helping it separate the heavy from the light oils, and it will drop the crud and water to the bottom where it can be drained off. My fuel oil will be drained from the middle to the top.

The lower oil will be used as heating fuel.

If one pass in the centrifuge was not enough, give it a second pass. Hell, keep doing it till there is no more crud being removed.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
I would not even concern myself with buildup in lines, fittings, ect. If you are getting buildup of anything in your lines, your doing something way wrong, and your going to have much much bigger issues when that crap reaches your injection pump, and injectors.
Agreed... buildup can point to a lot of problems. Reactivity with metals, Fats in the oil, Polymerization, etc. Build-up = Not good

Old 05-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

That hose is rate for 150 degrees-at200 psi. I've used those hoses on a dyno with 220 degree oil at 80 psi in them no problem.
Whatever got in the system wasn't from 1bad batch-it was over the course of 7 years and 120k miles. As I said, they'll be a learning curve as anyone goes along.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
That hose is rate for 150 degrees-at200 psi. I've used those hoses on a dyno with 220 degree oil at 80 psi in them no problem.
Whatever got in the system wasn't from 1bad batch-it was over the course of 7 years and 120k miles. As I said, they'll be a learning curve as anyone goes along.
What year was your Jetta?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Was/is a 91. Still my daily driver. 375k miles- 175k of those on veg. 45 mpg. Greasecar kit-with added FPHE + Vegtherm electric heater.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

So what I have learned so far from this thread and others, is if you intend to drive big miles on WVO, learn how to take your fuel system completely apart, clean, reassemble. This is every hose, starting at the tank, lift pump, the injection pump, the injection lines, and pay to have the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and tested every 100 to 150,000 miles.

That's right, pull every part of the injection pump that contacts the fuel apart for cleaning.

So to any fellow members that would like to run WVO, Do you realy have time, knowledge, ect to do all this?

Or is it better to stick to what you know at your daily job, and pay for ready made fuel at the pump like 99.99999999% of the population?

I for one like the tear down, and rebuild. It gives me the opportunity to keep the engine in tip top running condition. I also like the confidence / security of knowing my system inside out. This is why I chose a mechanical Cummins, and to build myself a 28,000 pound GVW truck from scratch, using all the best components.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

A little extreme-but some maintanace could prevent having to do that much. I do pull my injectors once every couple of years to ultrasonic clean them (fairly easy on the Jetta-and the cleaner was only like $50) and I'll take hi press. air + blow thru the system once a year-and remove the FBHE once in a while + boil it out. We'll see how that goes long term. On the bus, all I've had to do is boil out the heat exchanger (formerly a Ford oil cooler) the fuel filter screws on to.
I'll bet its easier to keep a bus sytems clean. The fuel moves thru the sytem alot faster at 10 mpg than at 45 mpg.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #20
Skoolie

For us, time is more available than money and we tour 30000+ miles per year doing music events! I've never done anything like this before, but have been researching for months. A fellow Skoolie member who has done conversions on several buses will be helping me install next weekend. This is partly why i didn't just buy a kit too... Just to learn how the system works and functions so we can do roadside repairs if the need arises.