Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Using straight veggie oil?

I think that all of the threads in this forum are talking about using waste veggie oil. Has anyone tried a system using unused veggie oil? It is easier to find....

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
From Journey to Forever:

"The downside is that straight vegetable oil (SVO) is much more viscous (thicker) than conventional diesel fuel or biodiesel, and it doesn't burn the same in the engine -- many studies have found that it can damage engines."

"Along with many others, especially in Europe, we think pre-heating the oil is still not enough to ensure that it will combust properly inside the engine. It needs a complete system, including specially made injector nozzles and glow plugs optimised for veg-oil, such as the professional single-tank SVO kits from Germany."

I did a great deal of research before deciding to take a pass on SVO and build a biodiesel processor. After MUCH research I decided that I did not want to take a chance with my (expensive to replace) diesel engines.

Just my $0.02 . I am sure that you will hear from folks with differing opinions. Before you decide, contact the manufacturer of your engine and ask their advice....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Skoolie

I know a guy who made his bus have 5k gallon capacity of fuel in the tanks. He & his 2 sons drove from Georgia to Alaska on used vegetable oil. Its still up there so that might be a sign. Lol.
He went up to "pan for gold". He dredged out $100k in gold & said he broke even on all the crap he bought for the bus & for dredging.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
I know a guy who made his bus have 5k gallon capacity of fuel in the tanks. He & his 2 sons drove from Georgia to Alaska on used vegetable oil. Its still up there so that might be a sign. Lol.
He went up to "pan for gold". He dredged out $100k in gold & said he broke even on all the crap he bought for the bus & for dredging.
I bet that was some bus! 38,000 lbs of vegetable oil on board! I am impressed.

I used to hang out at the Gold Divers outfit that built & sold dredges and other mining gear and met a number of folks that made their living placer mining. Most of them made enough to eat but they ate way more beans & franks than they did steak & lobster. It is a lot more work than it appears on TV....
Old 09-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Skoolie

He is a welder by trade & the tanks were massive. They hung down past the skirt.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

It is the weight of it that amazes me.

Take a bus with a GRVW of somewhere between 26k-44k lbs an saddle it with 38k lbs of fuel. The must have done some VERY serious power and suspension upgrades.

My last bus, with conversion, was at gross with only 1500lbs of fuel. GRVW was 44k lbs.

Heck, the fuel on that bus weighs more than my current Bluebird will fully loaded. I will be under 30k lbs fully loaded.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
Skoolie

Well, maybe it was 3k gallons. Let me find his build thread & report back.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Skoolie

The tank was 600 gallons. The fuel was 5k lbs. My mistake.