Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #1

Vegie oil fuel

I have ben reading some of the discussion about using vegie oil for fuel. Although i have not read everything, i have become curious about this topic.

How would you go about modifying an engine to run on this fuel ?

Could the engine be modified to run as duel fuel (diesel / vegie) switch able ?

How would you process the fuel ?

what about fuel storage in cold weather ?

Does anyone know of web links (vegie fuel info)

Old 08-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Aleanis Send a message via Yahoo to Aleanis
Veggie oil

I'm only 13, but spend a lot of time online. There is a sight called http://www.greasecar.com that offers a conversion kit that comes with everything you need to filter the oil and run your engine from it. Also there is a switch that allows you to alternate from diesel to veggie. The kit cost $800 + $45 for shipping. I think that it's designed more for small cars, but they can custom make bigger tanks and components for you.

Nick (mailto:Aleanis@sbcglobal.net)
Aleanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Bus Geek

there is no engine modification required to run veggie. There is just plumbing involved. Any non-computer controlled (any older diesel) will run just fine on veggie oil if the veggie oil is heated up first. heating is done utilizing engine coolant flowing through a heater core inside the veggie oil tank. Some injector pumps are better suited for WVO than others. Bosch inline pumps are among the best, rotory pumps like you find on most pick-up trucks are not really suitable for running wvo (depending on who you talk too)

There are valves that allow the driver to utilize either veggie or diesel at any time.

any more questions?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:05 PM   #4

Is it possible to change a rotary pump and put in a Bosch so that you can run veggie oil?
Brent uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

that's not a feasable option. You'd be better off purchasing an engine with the correct pump.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:29 PM   #6

so what is the arguments for and against rotary pumps? Is it possible and inefficient or just bad for the engine?
Brent uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I'm not a diesel mechanic, from what i've read, here is the biggest difference between the two differenty types of injector pumps:

Bosch Inline pumps tend to be lubricated with pressurized engine oil from the engine oil pump and have an excellent reputation with WVO.

Rotory pumps are lubricated with diesel fuel, or in our case WVO (waste veggie oil). There is great discussion as to why they fail prematurely on wvo, mostly becuase veggie oil is a good lubricant. Diesel fuel is more of a solvent. From what i understand, there are some small lubrication passeges inside the rotory pump and even at 180 degrees F the veggie oil is just too thick to pass through the lubrication passages causing the pump to heat up and fail.

An engine with a rotory pump will run on wvo. Do some more research and you'll find examples of people who run WVO in engines with rotory pumps and have had no problems. Others claim that purchasing a new injector pump ever couple of years is far cheaper than purchasing diesel fuel.

Don't let anybody tell you that you CANT do something, just be prepared to accept the risks.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Veggie fuel in a DT360

Has anyone used wvo in any international diesels? I'm still looking for a bus that fits my budget, or lack thereof, so before I buy the possibility of using veggie fuel may affect the final purchase.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:01 PM   #9

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 72
The site for info is http://www.veggievan.com They sell an excellent book that explains everything.I converted my VW golf with a rotary pump and ran on waste veg oil for over a year,until the suspension failed!
All the bugs are easy to work out over time.I biult my tank and all the plumbing from readily available materials.And yes the oil is free,a whole year of buying almost no diesel fuel.
The oil is disgusting to work with though.I left steel 20 litre barrels at my
participating restaurants,when they were full I heated the oil up with a coleman stove and puored it through a straining medium.Very messy and time consuming.
I would like to convert a school bus but it would take forever to fill the tank and once you are on the road getting to a restaurant at the exact time they empty the fryers is a long shot.In that case you run on regular fuel.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Detroit Diesel
Send a message via AIM to bewofthe
when we converted our bus. we have a two fuel system. we use a seperate fuel filter (heated) and a holley pump to pump the oil. we switch over just before the injection lift pump, and also use a bypass valve to recirculate the oil as you DO NOT want the veggie oil to circulate back to your tank. as was stated before computer op diesel might be difficult, and apparently turbo chargers are bad to.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Vegie oil fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvc2000
Does anyone know of web links (vegie fuel info)
yeah, sure do. this is one of the best wvo (waste vegetable oil) sites on the web: http://www.goodgrease.com/

also, check out this one: http://www.windrift.us/dreamerbiofuels/

he's got really informative and easy to follow guides as well as lots of other good stuff.

have you figured out if your bus can run on straight vegetable oil? it would depend on the type of diesel engine you have. i think that the indirect injection engines are best for running wvo or svo, but don't quote me.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #12

hello new to the forum i dont know if many of you have seen this but
http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/index.asp this system gets rid of all the stuff you dont need in the fuel ie the grud and jelling. I first saw this on trucks they were running this stuff through a newer dodge. this system has swaded me to do a skoolie. the jelling prob would be a issue here in chi town during the winters and on that site is an additive to stop that

for 70c to 1.00 a gal for clean fuel i say thats a dam good deal in my book
Bigwink is offline   Reply With Quote