Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: 9.0
Re: What alternate fuels will burn in a diesel engine?

I am the M35 owner... And it will not run on Avgas, at least not very long. There is a warning on the dash not to use avgas.

The engine also had special shaped cylinders. The top has a golf ball sized hole in it, looks like the top 1/4 cut off, to create a bowl. The injectors shoot a stream into the bowl. Most diesels shoot a spray pattern.

I've heard most diesels can run anywhere from 25 to 50% used oil. I run 100% filtered used oil in the M35. It starts harder, and does not like the cold, but the price is right.
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

The old military trucks are not multi fuel... after all, they first started making them for WW1, and the ww2 ones had lots of chevy engines in them.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

I forgot about the chambers in the pistons... I remember seeing that when you had one of them apart to replace the head gasket.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

ludicrous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #34

Year: 1998
Engine: Cat
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch
I am the M35 owner... And it will not run on Avgas, at least not very long. There is a warning on the dash not to use avgas.

I've heard most diesels can run anywhere from 25 to 50% used oil. I run 100% filtered used oil in the M35. It starts harder, and does not like the cold, but the price is right.
Coincidentally, on tonight's episode of Doomsday Preppers on the Nat Geo Channel there was a couple with a Deuce and a Half who run it on WMO. It sounds like they don't filter any more than running it through a simple sock, but a centrifuge was suggested as something they should consider.
That was me on the show!

For the record, we haven't actually run our Deuce on any of the WMO yet, we've just been collecting and filtering it for a time when we might need to. So don't go pouring WMO into your Deuce or Bus based on our implied success. So far I've just used diesel and gasoline in our Deuce, mostly diesel.

And for the record, long after Nat Geo left we also bought a Thomas 40' bus. Looking to create an RV + backup bug out vehicle.
jeremyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Yes John, the old basic diesel engines could run on water once they heated up. Even the old military ones could. The "modern" diesels are so far removed from what originally were built that it is very sad. How accurate the story is I really don't know. But it is a story that I found repeated several places (including on German websites). Many of them having nothing to do with diesel engines. I spent about 4 years researching diesel engines and alternative fuels.

Elliot, you do not know everything.
Hmmm....kinda like the pot calling the kettle black. Millions of people have died and trillions of dollars wasted on war over oil and energy and you have the solution with water. Provide a source for this engine and I'm sure no one will bother you. Unless the oil companies have bought all those engine and they are locked up in some secret warehouse.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote