Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Skoolie

Where should I put my Veggie tank?

I have a Thomas shorty and I have purchased a Frybrid system. For the past year, while awaiting delivery, I imagined I would have a tank built that would fit beside the battery box and before the rear wheel. Now that I am under there, I wonder if it might be better to put the tank inside the bus.

There are reasons to do either way, I thought maybe you guys could help me talk through it and one way may be better than the other.

Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: Where should I put my Veggie tank?

Tanks inside the bus are good for where I live (Colorado) because it helps with keeping the veg warmer and all the components are safely inside. We have tons of corrosive mag-chloride spread on our roads during the winter which is like 8mos sometimes. However in the summer you definitely feel a little extra heat from the tank( mines 60gl). It is actually kind of nice on the cooler nights because we stop and the radiant heat keeps us kinda toasty. Inside also doesn't require welding or extra securing so as not to drop veg all over the highway. Mines built into some sweet cabinetry that is invisible to an un-skooled eye. It also helps with shortening the length of fuel line run. Mine only goes about 6ft. Hope this helps RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Skoolie

Good points Recycler. Did you run your hoses down through the floor or though the side and front panels? I am in Michigan so running in the winter may be good with an indoor tank. In the summer time runs, how much heat do you produce and is it unbearable when running long distances?
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

I ran them through the floor and kept them tight on the frame and out of sight as much as possible. I thought about the side-walls but then thought better when I considered ever having a leak orwhen and if I ever wanted to replace them.(veg will break down the rubber over long periods from what I've heard but, I haven't noticed any degeneration in two yrs). I have put 1000 miles on her in 100 degree temps and have been comfortable. I have a friend who mounted his behind the driver seat and says he gets pretty hot. This is probably because the driver window will suck air out, not in. Not sure why exactly, something with aerodynamics and creating some sort of vacuum I suppose. I also have some sweet fans for the driver seat that help. My tank is mounted on the opposite side so that probably helps as well. If one got real crazy they could maybe enclose it and install an exhaust fan. We also have pretty dry heat out here so...? Good luck let me know if I can help. RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I have a tank that I bought to mount between the frame rails behind the rear axle, that I've never used & I'm sick of lookin at. It holds 90 gallons... let me know if you want more info.