Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Hydraulic brakes are actually pretty darn common on medium duty trucks, a category our buses fall in to. In my northern area, for example, we don't have the kinds of hills that necessitate air brakes. In fact, our frigid cold temperatures and all the corrosion that results from the road salt makes air brakes more expensive to run. The systems cost more, especially with a heated air dryer, alcohol evaporator, etc. While the hydraulic systems do have steel lines to rust out eventually, they cost far less in the long run. I learned this from my old school's bus barn manager. Actually, even here in Duluth, sometimes dubbed "Little San Fransisco" because of the hills, most buses run by the local company have hydraulic brakes. They do, however, have DT466's in almost all of them...even the short ones.

The hydraulic systems on MDT's are similar to your car in that they use hydraulic line pressure to push the shoes out into contact with the drums or the pads into contact with the rotors depending on if you have disc or drum brakes. The difference is in how they are power boosted. While some will have vacuum assist, most use hydraulic power assist...that is...hydraulic over hydraulic. Pressure from the power steering pump is applied to the master cylinder booster when you push the pedal. This helps you get the strength you need. Of course it also somewhat eliminates the "feel" you get from vacuum assisted brakes such as those in your car. In the event of a loss of power steering pressure such as that caused by a blown belt, blown line, or stalled motor, there is usually an electric back up motor as well. Step on the pedal with the engine off and you will hear it start.

The system is nothing exotic. In fact, most 3/4 and 1 ton pickups use this system, minus the backup motor (they're easier to stop). Don't be scared away from hydraulic or air brake systems. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My personal choice is air brakes. I like the stopping power and the fact that I have a very useful air compressor built right in for air tools, tires, etc.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #12
Bus Geek

good point.....my current 72 passenger bus has hydro brakes
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #13
Bus Nut

I don't think that CDL is an issue for a privately owned vehicle, for "personal use" is non-commercial, put the not for hire signs on and change the title to RV and anyone can itdrive with a valid drivers license as long as their is no compensation($) involved.
Checkout the FCCC site, Freightliner Commercial Chassis Corp, owned by Daimler Chrysler they build motorhome and bus chassis. The site has online service manuals for current production stuff but a lot of the information is pertinant to older chassis, for instance, most hydraulic disc brake systems are manufactured by Bendix the anti lock control system is WABCO, automatic trans Allison, engines Cat, Cummins or Mercedes, suspension is Ridewell or Newway, axles AAM, etc. The chassis manufacturers buy components that meet their specs and assemble them into a complete chassis that is sold to the coach/body builders. Ford Gm and Ih do the same thing, I forgot to mention that Freightliner owns Carpenter bus.

Check the bus manufacturers websites for their local dealers and then check the dealer websites for used bus inventories, also don't be bashful call the school districts transportation supervisors and ask what their schedules and proceedures are. Some fleets around here replace half of the busses at once and some replace 10% per year, some locations use contractors like Waste Management to handle transportation.
Get ahold of Greg at floridachurchbus, he can find what you want and he seems to be a reasonable person, I haven't bought from,but we have exchanged Emails.

I hope that you don't think that I am a doomsday forcaster or negative type, but you need to be aware of the possible damage that water can cause in a diesel, the big thing is make sure to use a good water seperator and filter to protect the injectors and pump.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Commercial Driver's License=for commercial purposes

Some states do require an air brake endorsement on your Class D (regular) license. You'll have to find out for sure in your locale. If they do, don't be scared off. The tests are all just information you should know anyway. If you know what you're doing there really isn't any reason to be afraid of the test.

For the record, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming all allow private vehicles like RV's with air brakes as best as I can tell. Even if they didn't....I would hope my Minnesota plates would grant me some immunity being that there isn't an equivalent license available in my state.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #15
Bus Nut

I believe, that's like to assume and we all know what that means, that most liciense issues both vehicle and drivers, are interpreted back to the "state of issue" interpretation of the law. I have a retired cousin that fulltimes with a fifth wheel rig that he pulls a utility trailer behind and has never been hasseled, legal in his home state but not legal in all states.

Another opinion, it sure won't hurt to get a CDL test manual from the license bureau and study it, at least to be familiar with the requirements for driving a large vehicle, Lots of good information to be aware of even if the license isn't necessary to be "legal".
It comes back to the issue of Private personal or Commercial for hire use.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #16
Bus Geek

How short are you looking for? Are you looking for something based on a van chassis or an actual medium duty truck chassis?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #17

Re: WVO Filtering On The Go

This thread is ancient, but I felt the need to share these videos here rather than on a similar thread. Great discussions all around.

I plan on filtering on the go. By "on the go," I mean "while traveling" -- I figure it would be best to stop for a day and carry out the filtering+dewatering process on a new batch before taking off. I'll have a large tank to store clean, dry WVO situated underneath the bus, and most likely, a derivative of the following system at the back near the emergency exit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-wlGmOnfOLg

Here is another system that I would consider for home purification:

I'm in search of simple and elegant. If you have one, bring it on!
Find your nearest biofuel source on Dieselist (currently in development)!
Pinedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: WVO Filtering On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinedale
This thread is ancient, but I felt the need to share these videos here rather than on a similar thread. Great discussions all around.

I plan on filtering on the go. By "on the go," I mean "while traveling" -- I figure it would be best to stop for a day and carry out the filtering+dewatering process on a new batch before taking off. I'll have a large tank to store clean, dry WVO situated underneath the bus, and most likely, a derivative of the following system at the back near the emergency exit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-wlGmOnfOLg

Here is another system that I would consider for home purification:

I'm in search of simple and elegant. If you have one, bring it on!
I like the first guy's idea of putting a cone on the bottom of the barrel to be more efficient in collecting water, but I'm not sure I would trust this setup to remove enough water after only one day of settling. You would also have to be able to dedicate 1500 watts of power continuously to the process for whatever time you will take. The other setup with the guy boiling the oil, well, that seems like a lot of energy to put into a process that will happen on its own over time. Seems like using all that propane for heat sort of cuts into the savings of using WVO. Unfortunately I do not have any affordable alternatives to suggest for on-the-go processing.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote