Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Re: A money saving invasion of privacy?

Quote:
macgyver wrote:
Jammer for U.S. GPS Systems on eBay.... GPS Jammer (click)

-Mac

Any knowlege of this? As in "does it work"?

Smitty
It should. According to the ad, it transmits a 1/10 watt signal that overrides the weak satellite signal, so that the GPS can't hear raw information.
Note the range is less than 50 feet. That would be enough to foil a unit in your car, but others would be temporarily affected, unless they are flowing with you in traffic. Some movie theaters reportedly have similar devices on cell phone bands to prevent interruptions to the entertainment. It's all illegal, AFAIK.

BTW, Prison wardens are asking the FCC for legal cellphone jammers to stop inmates form using smuggled phones. There's a lot of debate, because there would be 'collateral damage.'

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
...There will come a day when I just say no more, and go rogue. If they ever try to chip me, I'm heading for the hills. "I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive...."
You aren't alone there, brother, that's one reason I'm already off the grid. Our gov's been trying to back door RFID for a couple years now, and as it becomes more "acceptable" to our nation's sheople, they will come running to get theirs.

Yeah, the guns are fine, but my cross-bows don't give away my position as quickly, heh, heh! I've always been glad I studied more than just my particular MOS while I was in the USMC. SERE schools and more were a big help in (more or less) securely going off-grid. J.J. Luna has been a big help in covering tracks, too: http://www.howtobeinvisible.com/
Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver
I have that book.

Also have one of the LLC's mentioned in it.

;)

-Mac
Yep, & mail drop to boot!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
...Many cities are installing video cameras on street corners, you think they're put there just to be unmanned?...
The video cameras are usually installed in high crime areas to catch CRIMINALS... who would have a problem with that??? I'd say the criminals would... but I'd gladly trade a little privacy for safety.(the cameras are in public keep in mind)

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

So what are you doing that's so different from the rest of us that's not accepting it??? I doubt there's little any one person can do so I'm interested to know.
If everyone thought that way, there would be nothing ever done and we would all be willingly led to our demise at the end of our "useful" lives.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver
All I can say is that if/when we're required to have GPS units in our vehicles to track us for "tax purposes"... I'll be one of the first to defeat it with a skyshield over the antenna or other jamming device to invalidate any data it collects.

Perhaps if it comes to that, I'll invent such a device that tricks the device into believing it's following a particular route at specific times of the day to make it LOOK like you're going somewhere, but nowhere the distance you're really going, and definitely not where you're really going. Maybe make it think the vehicle is traveling at the outer edges of the atmosphere across continents at Mach 4. Wouldn't that be a hoot.... XD

-Mac
Mac......Kind of a tinfoil hat for the bus.......I dig it! Seriously, there are a lot of smart people out there. Electronics can be defeated, by-passed or fed incorrect info.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Quote:
Originally Posted by case
...There will come a day when I just say no more, and go rogue. If they ever try to chip me, I'm heading for the hills. "I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive...."
You aren't alone there, brother, that's one reason I'm already off the grid. Our gov's been trying to back door RFID for a couple years now, and as it becomes more "acceptable" to our nation's sheople, they will come running to get theirs.

Yeah, the guns are fine, but my cross-bows don't give away my position as quickly, heh, heh! I've always been glad I studied more than just my particular MOS while I was in the USMC. SERE schools and more were a big help in (more or less) securely going off-grid. J.J. Luna has been a big help in covering tracks, too: http://www.howtobeinvisible.com/
Hoo-Rah and Semper Fi my brother. Thank you
Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
Hoo-Rah and Semper Fi my brother. Thank you
Thank you, Papabear!

Thank all of you who serve, have served, and you who support those who have served and still serve! I salute you!

The people I've met and things I've learned from it I wouldn't trade for anything in this world. I consider it an honor and a privilege to have served and defended those things I believe our country SHOULD be standing for, and I will STILL defend them to the death, be it overtly or covertly.

Many have lost their lives to protect what I hold dear. Some were my personal friends. I'll not let their deaths have been in vain!

NEVER FORGET THEM OR THEIR FAMILIES!

Semper Fi and Godspeed, Warriors!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
Bus Nut

I like the idea of Ident Chips. I just believe that they should have a 6inch read range.

In the San Fransisco bay area, we have Fastrak for paying of bridge tolls. Some wiseass came up with the idea to put up readers all over the bay to allow them to see how traffic was flowing, and to advise alternate routes during congestion. It got mutated into these guys pointing out people to the cops for speeding. As it turns out, if you put the Fastrak devise into an Anti-static Harddrive bag and fold over the opening, your Fastrak cant be read by the readers... ^.^

Can you do something like that for the GPS?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote