Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60
AAA dropped a bomb on me today.

When I bought my insurance, I spoke at length with my insurance agent, the Bye Agency, in Grand Ledge, Michigan. He assured me that AAA would cover the converted bus, and even told me that the AAA roadside assistance would apply, as long as I got the "plus RV" on it.
Well, today I tested that, a little. We got a moving truck stuck, and they told me that they would not assist with that. Then, one of us left the keys in, light on. Drained the battery, somehow after only an hour. I have to think the batteries weren't so great to begin with. So, I called, and they said they still wouldn't help, not even a jump start.
So, I questioned further, because I remembered a long time ago, like eight months ago, my agent assured me I would be covered, no matter what type of vehicle I was driving. I asked about a converted motorhome. She laughed and said, nope, not covered in any way.

Grrrr...

So, what's up? Agent straight up lied?

Anyone else run into this?

Way around it?

I have to think that from time to time I may need a little assistance, after all, I paid extra for it.

dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: AAA dropped a bomb on me today.

That stinks. Not as bad as the case of a waitress I once knew. She purchased her own health insurance since the restaurant wasn't about to provide any. She needed medical care, and got socked with a big bill. When she tried to find out why it wasn't covered, she found out she had no policy. The agent was just spending her checks on himself.

It sounds like you should find another roadside service, and offer someone else the choice of a refund of the plus RV surcharge or a fraud case with the PD.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We are considering getting Roadside Assitance thru Sam's Club (Business member) it seems interesting as I understand it, YOU are the insured not your vehicle. Any vehicle you are in will be towed, etc as long as you are in it. Still have to really look into it and ask some questions. Just to make sure it is as I think it is.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=12588
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

I've got the AAA Plus RV coverage, and it has worked very well for me on two occasions. I guess it all depends on what AAA motor club you are dealing with. Both times I got towed, the bill was over $300. I called AAA to report the incident when it happened, and they had no AAA participating commercial tow companies in the area, so I had to hire a tow truck on my own, then mail the receipt to AAA and I was reimbursed 100%. Just some FYI... if you do need your bus towed, make sure the tow truck grabs it from the back. If they grab it from the front and are towing it on the rear wheels, they need to disconnect the drive shaft.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

I used to tow for a living, my wife still does: Regular AAA and AAA-Plus does NOT cover RV's, duallies, commercial trucks, lowered or lifted vehicles. If possible, I would usually tow them anyway if I could. You need AAA's RV coverage, like grnthmb has.

Rather than pull the driveshaft, pulling the axleshafts will also work.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

I have the RV coverage. It says "PLUS RV" right on my card.
They told me on the phone, and I asked several ways, they WILL NOT TOW A CONVERTED BUS, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS REGISTERED AS.
Sounded like Baloney to me, but what do I know. I only know what they tell me.

dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthmb55
If they grab it from the front and are towing it on the rear wheels, they need to disconnect the drive shaft.
If it is an automatic, only one of my buses has had an automatic box.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Some tow jockeys will pull axleshafts instead of the driveshaft.

Many skoolies can simply be lifted from behind...never seen a Conventional or a flat-front FE that couldn't.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: International DT408
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw in my $0.02, I just spoke with a member service rep at AAA for Washington and was told "if it was a yellow school bus at one point and was converted to a motorhome it will not be covered".
Phreqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:23 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
" The agent was just spending her checks on himself. "

At least she should now have every asset the agent had!
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote