Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Skoolie

Adventure with California DMV's CDL requirements

First, I posting this because I just can't seem to find out the rules one needs to drive a bus before it converted. Though everyone else seem to have had no problems, knowing Calif like I do, better safe than sorry!

Had long chat with Calif DMV. It wasn't that bad it just seemed I did more running around with my fingers until I got the real information. The info is the same mentioned here which though I thought it sound like a nightmare but once I thought about it, its not a big deal putting in simple stuff. For the full license one needs the vehicle you will be driving (ok, problem here I thought).

A second call yielded the number for DMV Commercial license sector. First person I contacted insisted I would need a school bus certificate to drive it. What?? Anyway, she then mentioned there was an individual there whom had better information and took down my number.

The gent I spoke with was very nice and way more informed. If you located in Calif and want that number, PM me. Once I explained that I wanted to make sure I was all legal when transporting the bus, he told me I'd only need a class b permit to transport. Take the test get your permit then take the driving test once you are back here. I asked him if he was sure this is ALL I need to get said bus going, he assured me it was. Righto!

I'm doing this because the conversion isn't going to happen right away plus to get practice I'd like to drive around locally. Again if something happens where I need to move the bus, I'd like to do so legally.

Next job....the insurance...
pg

----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Another person you can talk too is the highway patrol officer who deals with big trucks. Here in michigan we call him "the weighmaster".

That guy should have all kidns of info for ya.

IT seems unlikely to me that even california would require a COMMERCIAL drivers liscence (CDL) for a NON commercial vehicle.

I live in michigan and have never re-titled my bus as a motorhome. It's still a bus.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Skoolie

I thought so, but in California a c-class license is only good for vehicles under 26,000lbs anything over that requires a CDL. I wouldn't have bothered if I could have found one under 26000 but this isn't the case here.

I brought up the non-commerical status which matters not to them.
Ah well.
----------------
Old 01-29-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
Skoolie

just keeps gitin' better an' better >:(

Not to argue with you but that code is only for already altered vehicles to which this isn't. This is straight from DMV:

Quote:
A commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination used for hire to transport passengers or property or which:

Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more
Is designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers, including the driver
---------------
The old girl is still carrying her seats and will until I get it in Calif. Even though its retired, it still legally a bus until I do otherwise with it.

I'm so frustrated with this crap too-didn't know I needed prove of my SSN which isn't possible because that damn card disappeared YEARS ago and now I need a replacement. more delays! I'm almost ready to commit an illegal act of driving it anyway. ALMOST.
Ain't that desparate. I just keep the people abreast of what is going on and cross my fingers that they don't say "aw forget it!" and relist the bus
----------------
Old 01-29-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
Skoolie

Trying to do that!

I am really! I've been trying to pay them since I won but all this other stuff has come up.

No matter though, since they need to clear the check which takes time, I'll suggest that storage fee to them. Thanks for that idea!

update: since this is a school I won't know a thing until monday so I sent your idea long and will try not to think about anything else (yeah right
----------------
Old 01-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Wanna know what i would do?
I would just drive it home with my proof of insurance in hand.
Is it legal in california to drive a vehicle from the point of purchase to your residence after you buy it? That's the way it works in michigan. You don't need registration to drive a new vehicle home.

Even if it's not 100% legal to drive your non commercial vehicle without a commercial drivers liscense, chances are slim you'd have any trouble. I still think there is almost certianly an exemption for operating non commercial vehicles.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:05 PM   #7
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
What I found in Massachusetts was that it was legal to drive a commercial vehicle (all vehicles over 10,000 lbs in MA get commercial registration) with my regular Class D license if it was used exclusively to transport family, friends and their posessions.

I could have registered my bus as a bus and driven it with my Class D. However, if it was hired out even once, from then on it would need a CDL. The exemption is written into the code that covers CDL and seems to be based on a standard template many states use. The exemption is worded so that it applies to "recreational use" not just vehicles titled as RVs.

I opted to have the vehicle delivered because bus insurance was >$2K per year whereas RV insurance after a title conversion will be closer to $600.

Jake.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SaftLiner
Engine: Cat 3208 Turbo 250HP
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Adventure with California DMV's CDL requirements

I recently advised GMAC that I had retitled my Thomas as a motorhome when I moved from Alabama to Colorado. The agent took all my info, then said they would send an ammended invoice. I was scared that my rates would go up, but they dropped from $125 every 6 months, to $39 every 6 months. Sweet!

Jay
87 SaftLiner