Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: me
Engine: Cat 3126
All Insurance companies to drop Skoolies? Possible?

We all know getting insurance isn't like getting insurance on a regular vehicle or standard RV. Seems national general (maybe a few others?) is bout the only insurance company willing to insure us. But this comes with a little catch, you must complete the conversion first. I have no issue with that. Its what i read on AIS that concerns me.

From AIS Insurance website:
With underwriting guidelines being tightened to keep losses in check, insurance companies are avoiding certain types of risk. One of the most well-known risks that most specialty RV insurance providers avoid is the school bus conversion. Very few insurance companies will insure this type of vehicle.

What prevents all companies from soon avoiding certain types of risk because they deem its to risky? Im beginning to feel investing months of labor and thousands of dollars into our skoolie may not be a good idea anymore.
We have been dropped after being told we were "good to go". Ive read it here and its happening with multiple providers. I don't believe there are any grandfather clauses to protect us for coverage. With only a couple of providers left, what if they too decide it's to Risky and drop you?

mdl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15
I worry about this too.
I think its a fairly valid concern.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

terrible

So, is everyone insuring through the national general insurance agency only? That's hard to believe that a school bus conversion is such a risk; I never hear of them being in horrible, catastrophic accidents. Maybe I'm so new to this that I'm not seeing the big risk/cost or pay out for insurance agencies.

Does anyone else have advice or experience on this? I'm still going through with my conversion this coming summer and into next fall....with hopes that the insurance agency (any decent insurance agency) will be there when I need it.

isaruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaruma View Post
So, is everyone insuring through the national general insurance agency only? That's hard to believe that a school bus conversion is such a risk; I never hear of them being in horrible, catastrophic accidents. Maybe I'm so new to this that I'm not seeing the big risk/cost or pay out for insurance agencies.

Does anyone else have advice or experience on this? I'm still going through with my conversion this coming summer and into next fall....with hopes that the insurance agency (any decent insurance agency) will be there when I need it.

My conspiracy theory?...

The RV industry big wigs are lining the pockets of insurance big wigs on the golf coarse... more skoolies = less RV sales... again, just a silly conspiracy theory.

National General seems to be the only provider doing it correctly. They get pictures and make an intelligent decision and make a profit. There are more and more skoolies it seems... for a insurance company to not see the $$ in this would be silly... DONE CORRECTLY THESE ARE 100% SAFE. ITS A SCHOOL BUS. School buses are build and designed to be SAFE. They carry our children. Like i said, Nat. General seems to understand not EVERYONE builds a top heavy bus. They see the pics and see that the conversion weight distribution is correct, AND that you are not going to use the bus as a cargo van instead of a rv(different and often more costly) Their Gain.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Unfortunately, every state's insurance regulations are different. Nat Gen doesn't insure in New Jersey, where I'm located. That means I'll need to talk to an agent about a non-commercial commercial vehicle policy as I get closer towards completion and on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl76 View Post
My conspiracy theory?...

The RV industry big wigs are lining the pockets of insurance big wigs on the golf coarse... more skoolies = less RV sales... again, just a silly conspiracy theory.
Your conspiracy theory probably has some validity. Because that's pretty much how business is done. Of course the next step would be the RV bigwigs lobbying Congress to have the NHTSA ban skoolies all together.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I spoke with a guy from Good Sam and he said that some people are getting denied after investing 20k in their bus. Im seeing people raising roofs on here, i could only image how it will be to insure them.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
Bus Geek

My local ins office has kept me legal for over a year now. They dont care what I do with the bus, they just want my money.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
agreed....

my insurance company happily takes my money.

the construction 4 years i had liability only. ($50/yr)
last year i bumped up to full coverage. (250/month)

my insurance company never questioned or looked.

i bet insurance companies pay way more out on stolen hondas than any claim on a skoolie.

someone will always take your business
Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

may i ask your provider? I need insurance so I can get this baby on the road

and i bet your right on the hondas
Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #10

Maybe this is dumb in some people's eyes, but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm rolling with the thought that someone will be there to take my money and insure it when I get to the point of needing it. This forum seems like an invaluable resource for helping each other out with important issues such as this. Does anyone (other than turf) care to share how much they pay per month for insurance? And turf, did yours go up because of the kind of work you invested into it or was it simply based on the fact that you got more coverage?

Lastly, what kind of coverage does one need before driving it off the lot and taking it across state lines (if needed) to get working on it? For example, as far as insurance goes, what should I consider before I take my checkbook and go buy my first school bus? And will coverage change as improvements are made (as conversion occurs)?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
isaruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:

Lastly, what kind of coverage does one need before driving it off the lot and taking it across state lines (if needed) to get working on it?

I got online Progressive RV insurance through USAA without having to talk to anyone. They dropped me two weeks later and wouldn't have paid any claims if I did crash. It was just a sheet of paper to keep the government happy. I switched to a commercial policy through Progressive after that. I'll be running on the commercial policy throughout the conversion and once I'm done I'll change the title to RV and start hunting for an RV policy.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Does anyone (other than turf) care to share how much they pay per month for insurance?
I pay seventy-something dollars a month for my commercial policy through progressive.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Counting the fees, the three weeks of Progressive RV insurance I had was almost $40. Their quote for liability on the bus as an RV was twenty-something dollars a month.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
I pay seventy-something dollars a month for my commercial policy through progressive.
I pay 60 something but only 10 payments a year.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 3126b CAT
We are paying $90 a month with Foremost insurnace.

Follow along at: www.naturalstatenomads.com
NaturalStateNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I don't understand why insurance company's can be such a$$holes, if you built a skoolie, and have all the systems ie propane lines, elect, etc, and everything is up to codes, all furniture, and appliances installed to legal standards, the bus meets safety standards, now tell me why they will insure a crappy old motor home, and not a conversion that is better built ?
gbstewart
Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Age, sex, driving record, location of vehicle, coverage type & coverage amount all factor in to what we each pay. Asking what we pay isn't worth much without telling all that goes with that determination.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
now tell me why they will insure a crappy old motor home, and not a conversion that is better built ?
gbstewart
because commercially built RVs, as a group, make the company more money and pay out less in claims than amateur built RVs, as a group.

if you don't believe that or like it then open your own insurance company.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
Age, sex, driving record, location of vehicle, coverage type & coverage amount all factor in to what we each pay. Asking what we pay isn't worth much without telling all that goes with that determination.
That's a very important point. Younger is more expensive. Male/single is more expensive. Frequent crashers/speeders are more expensive. Full coverage is more expensive than liability only. $500,000 liability is more expensive than $50,000 liability. Insuring in Louisiana is more expensive than insuring in Iowa. Driving 50,000 miles a year is more expensive than 5,000 miles a year.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Rated Cap: 78
We are in the process of trying to insure our bus in RI now that our conversion is just about complete. We were denied by National General because of the rack on top and we made the mistake of linking to our blog and providing too much information. They were concerned we would be using it for commercial purposes (which we are not- we will be taking it to our business in Nicaragua). I currently am working with a local agent but haven't had success yet. I've learned less information provided is better. Is it easier to get a commercial policy? We are just looking to get out of the US- maybe 6 weeks tops here probably closer to three. Any advice would be appreciated.