Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #1

any problems in arkansas on bus-rv title

am saving for a bus and wanted to make sure i would be able to tag it and insure it, looked thru the forum and found no items with arkansas and looked on ark. web site and cant find any info at all.....thanks in advance....

fireman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: any problems in arkansas on bus-rv title

I spent some time looking through Title 27 - Transportation in the Arkansas Code.

Quote:
27-14-207. Definitions.
(1) “Bus” means every motor vehicle designed for carrying more than ten (10) passengers and used for the transportation of persons and every motor vehicle, other than a taxicab, designed and used for the transportation of persons for compensation;
(5) “Motor home” means a motor vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters, built onto an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis. The vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life-support systems;
(7) “School bus” means every motor vehicle owned by a public or governmental agency and operated for the transportation of children to or from school or privately owned and operated for compensation for the transportation of children to or from school;

27-14-213. Specially constructed and reconstructed vehicles.
(b) “Reconstructed vehicle” means every vehicle of a type required to be registered under this chapter materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition, or substitution of essential parts, new or used.

27-14-214. Essential parts.
“Essential parts” means all integral and body parts of a vehicle of a type required to be registered under this chapter, the removal, alteration, or substitution of which would tend to conceal the identity of the vehicle or substantially alter its appearance, model, type, or mode of operation.

Subchapter 7 — Registration and Certificates of Title
27-14-707. Application for specially constructed, reconstructed, or foreign vehicles.
(a) (1) In the event the vehicle to be registered is a specially constructed, reconstructed, or foreign vehicle, that fact shall be stated in the application.
Sounds like a skoolie isn't a "school bus" anymore once it isn't owned and used by someone transporting children, it's not a "bus" if it's not operated for compensation, but it isn't a "motor home' until it has "permanently installed independent life-support systems." I guess it would be a truck while it's in limbo.

The law makes it sound sound like you can go to a Dept. of Finance & Administration office and get a "motor home" title once it's converted, if you note that it is a "reconstructed vehicle" on the title application, since the type and mode of operation have changed. It might or might not be just that easy. You would have to confirm ahead of time whether "reconstructed vehicle" is designed to describe a vehicle converted to a new purpose, or a salvage wreck rebuilt with replacement body parts. The law gives the agency lots of authority to create rules to fulfill its mission.

I don't know if the DFA would charge you $30 as a Class 3 pleasure vehicle over 4501 pounds, or $39-$1350 as a Class 2-7 truck based on gross weight.

I strongly suggest going to a rural office instead of a big city, whenever possible. They always seem to be able to spend more time with each customer, and seem to have the ability to separate non-standard legitimate requests from B.S. Big city clerks probably have heard too much B.S. They look at the line behind you, and the manager behind them, and say "No. Next."

Good Luck.

(p.s. My after-school job for two years in high school was to drive to the DMV in the city every day, and stand in line in place of the customers of the local insurance agency. I quickly learned which clerks to line up for, and which to avoid.)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
I spent some time looking through Title 27 - Transportation in the Arkansas Code.

Sounds like a skoolie isn't a "school bus" anymore once it isn't owned and used by someone transporting children, it's not a "bus" if it's not operated for compensation, but it isn't a "motor home' until it has "permanently installed independent life-support systems." I guess it would be a truck while it's in limbo.

The law makes it sound sound like you can go to a Dept. of Finance & Administration office and get a "motor home" title once it's converted, if you note that it is a "reconstructed vehicle" on the title application, since the type and mode of operation have changed. It might or might not be just that easy. You would have to confirm ahead of time whether "reconstructed vehicle" is designed to describe a vehicle converted to a new purpose, or a salvage wreck rebuilt with replacement body parts. The law gives the agency lots of authority to create rules to fulfill its mission.

I don't know if the DFA would charge you $30 as a Class 3 pleasure vehicle over 4501 pounds, or $39-$1350 as a Class 2-7 truck based on gross weight.

I strongly suggest going to a rural office instead of a big city, whenever possible. They always seem to be able to spend more time with each customer, and seem to have the ability to separate non-standard legitimate requests from B.S. Big city clerks probably have heard too much B.S. They look at the line behind you, and the manager behind them, and say "No. Next."

Good Luck.

(p.s. My after-school job for two years in high school was to drive to the DMV in the city every day, and stand in line in place of the customers of the local insurance agency. I quickly learned which clerks to line up for, and which to avoid.)
Just wondering if anyone went through with their registration in Arkansas. Would like to get my bus registered soon.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
My Arkansas title says Body type MH. Meaning motor home. I have a V10 E450 shuttle bus not a school bus that I bought in Illinois. I got RV insurance possibly because my guy is cool. Everywhere I went I told them it was an RV. Same thing when I went to get my tags and showed them my RV insurance. No questions asked.
That's how I would go about it.
If you already have a vehicle or two and maybe some homeowners insurance with a company and are in good standing they probably want to help you out. That's my experience anyway.
I would not say to any insurance company that you're doing a self conversion.
When speaking to your insurance company say " I took all the seats out and threw a bed in the back. It's a recreational vehicle I'm going to use for camping in the summer."
Make it sound like you're hardly going to drive it. They'll assume little risk and you get cheaper insurance.
Good luck to you.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
My Arkansas title says Body type MH. Meaning motor home. I have a V10 E450 shuttle bus not a school bus that I bought in Illinois. I got RV insurance possibly because my guy is cool. Everywhere I went I told them it was an RV. Same thing when I went to get my tags and showed them my RV insurance. No questions asked.
That's how I would go about it.
If you already have a vehicle or two and maybe some homeowners insurance with a company and are in good standing they probably want to help you out. That's my experience anyway.
I would not say to any insurance company that you're doing a self conversion.
When speaking to your insurance company say " I took all the seats out and threw a bed in the back. It's a recreational vehicle I'm going to use for camping in the summer."
Make it sound like you're hardly going to drive it. They'll assume little risk and you get cheaper insurance.
Good luck to you.
If you don't mind asking, were you asked to show pictures of a completed bus or just word of mouth. I have Geico but haven't called them yet.
Thanks

Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I didn't notice this is a nine year old thred you gave new life. haha
Old 08-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I wasn't asked.
I really believe this will only work smoothly if you go see someone in person.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
I wasn't asked.
I really believe this will only work smoothly if you go see someone in person.
I like to search old threads and resurrect them. It help a other find information if and when they search. Thanks again. Will report my experience.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
I like to search old threads and resurrect them. It help a other find information if and when they search. Thanks again. Will report my experience.

I see... Kinda like Jesus... When are you coming back?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
I see... Kinda like Jesus... When are you coming back?
No man knoweth!

Old 05-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Ford B800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
AR Bus Conversion - How to Title?

I found A.C.A. 27-15-4001 which describes "buses converted to or equipped as campers" & says you can get special plates from the DMV for $13/year. But it doesn't mention how the vehicle is titled. It also requires use "solely as a camper" but nowhere defines what that actually means.

Serengeti-- how did you get your AR skoolie titled?
d4nd3lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
Bus Nut

If you have a cool insurance guy and tell them it's a RV/camper you'll be using on a few vacations a year then your insurance card will say MH. Then you bring that to the DMV and reiterate and your title will come back as MH. Simple as that. I have done it twice now

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Old 05-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #13

Wow, thanks for the rapid response!

Thomas1985, so we buy it, then we get insurance on it-- how long did you wait before you got insurance on it? I know we have 30 days from date of purchase to get it titled/re-titled in AR, but no one could reasonably complete a conversion that quickly--- I'm guessing the insurance agent didn't ask too many questions? Did you need to show any photos of the conversion or, as I've read in some posts here for other states, have an electrical outlet installed or any other changes? I can't find any specific guidance in AR state law other than a motor home needs to have "permanently installed independent life-enhancement systems" -- whatever that means.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4nd3lion View Post
Wow, thanks for the rapid response!

Thomas1985, so we buy it, then we get insurance on it-- how long did you wait before you got insurance on it? I know we have 30 days from date of purchase to get it titled/re-titled in AR, but no one could reasonably complete a conversion that quickly--- I'm guessing the insurance agent didn't ask too many questions? Did you need to show any photos of the conversion or, as I've read in some posts here for other states, have an electrical outlet installed or any other changes? I can't find any specific guidance in AR state law other than a motor home needs to have "permanently installed independent life-enhancement systems" -- whatever that means.
You will need insurance if you plan on driving it home. My insurance (State Farm) automatically insures me, under my existing policy, for 7 days on any vehicle i buy. Check with yours to see what they cover.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
Bus Nut

No I've never been asked for any pictures. If you have any homeowner's insurance or any other cars with people it's always easier to add something new. If you're looking for a brand new insurance agent I would go in person and speak with people because it's more personable than calling on the phone. Small towns might even be more friendly.
The goal is to emphasize it something you're not using very often. It's a camper or RV. You're not interested in paying your regular monthly car payment for something you're not using very often. Phrase it however works but don't be nervous you're the one shopping around for the best quote.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #16

Where to Buy Insurance

@Thomas1985, who do you have insurance through?

I just called AIS (https://www.aisinsurance.com/product...ersion.aspx#t3) & was told they "don't have a market in Arkansas."

I have car insurance with Progressive. I tried their online quote tool, which gave me a $125 quote but there's a one-liner that disqualifies us--

"I confirm that the recreational vehicle(s) listed on this quote:
  • Is not used for any commercial or business activity.
  • Is not used at or commuting to and from a work site.
  • Is not a converted school, passenger, or transit bus."
Farm Bureau turned us down, too.

Please let me know what company you have insurance with and what magic words you used to get insurance on your skoolie(s) in Arkansas!

Thanks!!
Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #17
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
I hate to resurrect this thread, but Arkansas was just great to register my (now) motor home. I was about to go through the Vermont process and didn't due to my (now) motor home being over 15 years old.

After calling the state DMV and going from one group to the next, then getting transferred back to the original information group, I called the local revenue office.

"Hi, I've just bought a school bus and want the registration converted to state 'Motor Home'".

"Ok, we don't get too many of those, but here's what you need. Write up a statement to describe your changes and sign/date it".

"Does it need to be notarized?".

"No".

"Pictures of the conversion?".

"No".

"See you shortly!".

I included VIN, year and manufacturer, along with the changes, signed and dated. About an hour later, I now have a motor home.

Also a heart felt thank you to the person in our revenue office.
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
sounds like the process in Florida.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote