Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Yes, all those non-commercial add-ons completely vary by state.

And none (should) involve any special med checks, drug tests, bigger fines etc.

I want to know about hauling a flatbed with an empty 20' conex for personal use. Bet you keep getting pulled over by the DOT guys

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I guess I'm not aware that there are states requiring CDL licenses for non-commercial private owned RVs. What's really convoluted about Indiana is that a transporter who delivers RVs for a living needs a CDL but then the final customer does not! It's not about the vehicle, its about whether you're earning a living by driving it.
I believe drivers delivering new buses to the district from the manufacturer are not required to be CDL licensed.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #23

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Rated Cap: 84
How hard is it to get VT RV registration?
TinyA8755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #24
Bus Geek

easy peasy http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html
Old 10-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #25
Skoolie

As a Former Law Enforcement Officer I'll say this 99% of all Cops do Not want to worry with a school bus, former Bus Or RV drivers or campers.

If it appears SAFE and appears to be operated in SAFE manner it is not hurting any one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I’ve seen a couple instances on here of bus yard managers refusing to release a bus to someone without a class B so make sure this isn’t the case before you show up
If me once I have the Title/Bill of sale, YOU are NOW the owner. I'd inform them to open the gate....Its Not theirs to hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
There are about 8 states including where I reside that requires a class B non-CDL license if the GVWR exceeds 26K lbs (regardless if it is registered as an RV). Always check your state statutes.
Your home state is the only one that matters. No State can impose its license requirements on those from out of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I believe drivers delivering new buses to the district from the manufacturer are not required to be CDL licensed.
You would be incorrect on that one. Driving a Bus and getting a paycheck to do so IS the definition of commercial.
Drivers who drive New motorhomes fall under the same CDL law *
*(IF they are over 26K GVWR)
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Your home state is the only one that matters. No State can impose its license requirements on those from out of state
And any nomad,

as long as they don't stay "too long" or otherwise establish residency in another,

can relatively easily establish their legal domicile in whichever state they choose.

Just be aware of increasing deployment of automated license plate readers, face recognition, of course cellphone geolocation tracking etc

and keep your nose clean otherwise.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
As a Former Law Enforcement Officer I'll say this 99% of all Cops do Not want to worry with a school bus, former Bus Or RV drivers or campers.

If it appears SAFE and appears to be operated in SAFE manner it is not hurting any one.

If me once I have the Title/Bill of sale, YOU are NOW the owner. I'd inform them to open the gate....Its Not theirs to hold.

Your home state is the only one that matters. No State can impose its license requirements on those from out of state.

You would be incorrect on that one. Driving a Bus and getting a paycheck to do so IS the definition of commercial.
That's correct. I was offered a job delivering Jayco campers a few years back. Turned it down cause it required a cdl.
Gotta do the logs and all that!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
That's fine and good, but... the sale is executed by means of a contract. The sales contract can give the seller the right to hold the vehicle until an acceptable driver appears to remove the vehicle from seller's premises. If the buyer agrees to those terms of sale then he has no legal standing to pitch a fit and say "but I own it, you can't hold it!" The buyer would have given the seller explicit permission to do exactly that.

Another way it can be accomplished is that the seller refuses to accept the money and complete the sale until an acceptable driver is present. No sale is made, no title is transferred, and the would-be buyer owns nothing but his money until the seller agrees to complete the sale.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

Oh yes they are! And anything except transporter companies, you'd better have your passenger endorsement too (if 16+ passengers) (there is a specific exemption for driveaway-towaway companies not requiring the passenger endorsement, but by the same coin, you cannot have *ANY* passengers at all using that exemption, not even family or co-workers).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:

However, it *IS* their liability if they let an unqualified driver loose with a vehicle they shouldn't be driving - see my expansion on this next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
That's fine and good, but... the sale is executed by means of a contract. The sales contract can give the seller the right to hold the vehicle until an acceptable driver appears to remove the vehicle from seller's premises. If the buyer agrees to those terms of sale then he has no legal standing to pitch a fit and say "but I own it, you can't hold it!" The buyer would have given the seller explicit permission to do exactly that.

Another way it can be accomplished is that the seller refuses to accept the money and complete the sale until an acceptable driver is present. No sale is made, no title is transferred, and the would-be buyer owns nothing but his money until the seller agrees to complete the sale.

An excellent point and to expand on that, consider a large company buys commercial vehicles - Ryder, Penske, whoever. The clerks at the desk may not even be CDL qualified to drive some of the trucks, as such, they send CDL drivers to pick up said trucks. If a dealership (or the rental/leasing company, for that matter) lets someone unqualified depart with a vehicle and there's a problem later, you can bet some lawyers are going to scrutinize this in court. Ryder or Penske (or a dealer) will be happy to take my money, but I better have a license or qualified driver to drive it. Otherwise, they have every right to hold the vehicle. If I call the cops and say they are holding my vehicle, they will tell the cop a qualified driver must be in it. The cops will likely check my license and (if I'm legal to drive) tell them to let me leave with it or (if I'm not legal, this includes not meeting whatever insurance rules they may have) they will tell me to find another driver.

Reverse the roles here, would *YOU* want to be on the hook if I bought a bus from you and ended up killing someone with it because I didn't know what I was doing?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's correct. I was offered a job delivering Jayco campers a few years back. Turned it down cause it required a cdl.
Gotta do the logs and all that!
I was looking at the RV transports websites yesterday. They claim that a CDL is not required for smaller rigs. They recommend a CDL to give you a broader range of hauls.

I don't have any first hand experience with this. I am simply passing on what I read yesterday on multiple sites. I am contemplating doing some RV deliveries to help fund the traveling kitty.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I think we're also getting a little convoluted about what's CDL and what's DOT operating authority. A smaller travel trailer wouldn't be CDL but getting paid to deliver it would probably require an operating authority. I think all those RV goes way companies in N. Indiana recruit drivers as independent contractors but they so drive under the fleet's DOT authority. Hence the magnetic decal in the sides of the truck. Even though the driver may not be CDL-A,B,C he/she is still driving commercially and needs to stay up on the requirements as such. That means things like weigh stations and so forth that an end user will be exempt once they own that same rig. Infuriating, isn't it?!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:32 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Hello, my bus shows on the ID plate GVWR 34000, is registered as Motor Home, I guess it means that I can not drive it with a class C License correct?
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:

Amen! Anything over 26k and your being paid to drive means commercial use even if it's not being used to transport anyone.

I bought mine in VA and drove it 6+ hours home to TN, a trooper followed me 12+ miles before going on his way.... Didn't have any tags or nothing on the bus, I thought he was going to pull me over but he never did.
I've driven trucks over what my license would allow and it's always been my experience that if you just drive like you have a brain and experience the LEOs will let you alone. I use to have a big Isuzu flat bed I ran all over from IN to TN to GA not even any plate, hauling cars (I was a hot shot) and also no CDL, air brakes and all and was never once pulled over or bothered, did this for almost 3 years, just obeyed the laws and didn't get in hurry. Though I did keep a "not for hire" sign on the cab, I wasn't for hire technically, I was already hired not looking to be hired is how I saw it LOL.

Nice to hear a LEO confirm my own thoughts on the matter.
Prob also helps if the person doesn't make their bus look like a hippy wagon worth looking inside also I betcha eh?
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Can the GVWR be change after the bus is gutted? or is it something manufacturer assigns?

J:
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post
Can the GVWR be change after the bus is gutted? or is it something manufacturer assigns?

J:
What you can drive is dependent on what state you are licensed in. Until you get into commercial driving.

If you are registered as an RV that's not commercial. In Ga I am allowed to drive any RV. But some states have different rules.

The gvwr rating is what the bus can legally weigh completely full. Not the weight of the empty bus. That can't be changed.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Weight enforcement stuff generally applies to commercial vehicles only.

As long as your rig looks and acts safe out there, really it's just you as the private owner that is legally responsible, basically becomes a civil matter, and your insurance company may be off the hook.

AFAIK only the USA takes that approach among developed countries.

LEO will pull you over if you're being a completely obvious fool thoughClick image for larger version

Name:	towing_overloaded.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	38992
Old 11-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post

J:

Usually this is *PERMANENTLY* determined by the manufacturer, or in some cases the final builder (think along the lines of trucks with lift-able axles installed).

What can be changed fairly easily is the *Registered* weight (not the same thing!) Basically, I can have a vehicle capable of legally carrying X pounds, and since road taxes are calculated based on weight (the idea being that heavy trucks put more wear-and-tear on the roads than lighter ones), heavier trucks pay more taxes. So if I register for a lower weight, I'll save money on taxes, but woe to the driver getting caught running over that weight (even if it's otherwise legal. Permits for the heavier weight can often be bought if it's a once-in-a-while thing).

For our purposes here, you will probably be dealing with the registered weight and many builds probably won't exceed 26K pounds.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #39

Insurance problems, I just bought my mini turtle top and when I went to insurance it with State Farm they would not insurance it if I registered it as a motor home so I put regular plates on it. So what happens when I finish converting it and I get stopped and the see it’s a motorhome with standard plates ?
jimancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #40
Bus Geek

MH rego is for the owner's advantage, state & LEO don't care