Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #41

https://offgridspot.com/do-i-need-a-...e-a-motorhome/

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #42
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
Ok, I get the GVWR vs current vehicle weight.

How does a LEO know what the GVWR of a vehicle is? Do they have to look on a plate attached to the vehicle or is it based on the VIN?
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofred99 View Post
Ok, I get the GVWR vs current vehicle weight.

How does a LEO know what the GVWR of a vehicle is? Do they have to look on a plate attached to the vehicle or is it based on the VIN?

The VIN will have the manufacturer's determined GVWR in the database with it. In the commercial trucking world, your registration will specify how much you've registered it for and I believe is denoted in a computer somewhere - in GA at least, you'll get a tag based on the weight you've registered it for and that is reflected on the plate (I don't know what other states do this, if any).

I've never registered an RV plate in GA so I'm not sure if the weight is reflected or not, but it won't be a commercial plate (I think RV's get the same plates as cars do, though the registration may vary a bit.)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Some states operate mobile DOT checkpoints. They set up wherever they feel like it and wave vehicles in as they choose. If you get pulled in you are going to be dealing with a full-fledged DOT cop, who knows all the rules governing CMV’s and CDL licensing. In this case things may go differently than if you were just pulled over by any random sheriff or municipal cop. I never travel without my Rand McNally truckers Atlas, which shows you where the fixed scales and ports of entry are located. I believe that it is illegal to drive a bus that is over 26,000 pounds GVWR without a CDL, even if you change the color, remove the warning lights, and remove the excess seats as long it is still registered as a bus. On the other hand I have a libertarian philosophy that tells me that if you want to be free you need to act free. So I like to push the envelope. I do so well aware that, as the long history of human civilization informs us, the pursuit of freedom is not without risks.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
Some states operate mobile DOT checkpoints. They set up wherever they feel like it and wave vehicles in as they choose. If you get pulled in you are going to be dealing with a full-fledged DOT cop, who knows all the rules governing CMV’s and CDL licensing. In this case things may go differently than if you were just pulled over by any random sheriff or municipal cop. I never travel without my Rand McNally truckers Atlas, which shows you where the fixed scales and ports of entry are located. I believe that it is illegal to drive a bus that is over 26,000 pounds GVWR without a CDL, even if you change the color, remove the warning lights, and remove the excess seats as long it is still registered as a bus. On the other hand I have a libertarian philosophy that tells me that if you want to be free you need to act free. So I like to push the envelope. I do so well aware that, as the long history of human civilization informs us, the pursuit of freedom is not without risks.
" I believe that it is illegal to drive a bus that is over 26,000 pounds GVWR without a CDL" Not when it's registered as MH or private. It's not about paint, it's about being "not for hire". Air brakes are a different matter. States all are a bit different but all the same you can title it as a private use vehicle and get around the org weight rating.

"if you want to be free you need to act free." AMEN!
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
" I believe that it is illegal to drive a bus that is over 26,000 pounds GVWR without a CDL" Not when it's registered as MH or private. It's not about paint, it's about being "not for hire". Air brakes are a different matter. States all are a bit different but all the same you can title it as a private use vehicle and get around the org weight rating.

"if you want to be free you need to act free." AMEN!
As frustrated as I get with the Californication of Washington I do appreciate how easy it is to get your bus titled and registered as an RV. And as an RV it is exempt from CDL requirements. Even with air brakes.

Unfortunately, if you register it as a private bus CDL requirements still apply.

PS: Quit hatin' on my DD's
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
As frustrated as I get with the Californication of Washington I do appreciate how easy it is to get your bus titled and registered as an RV. And as an RV it is exempt from CDL requirements. Even with air brakes.

Unfortunately, if you register it as a private bus CDL requirements still apply.

PS: Quit hatin' on my DD's
Agreed. I don't hate YOUR DDs, I would just hate owing one for road use blame it LOL. Just messing with ya.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
Agreed. I don't hate YOUR DDs, I would just hate owing one for road use blame it LOL. Just messing with ya.
All in fun

They are some kind of disease. Once they get in your blood they are a lifetime condition.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
All in fun

They are some kind of disease. Once they get in your blood they are a lifetime condition.
That is why I take part on this forum, it's the only one I've ever seen where the majority of the members don't take this stuff personally to heart and have humor about it.

Not sure why people get all bent out of shape about it unless they are still in grade school LOL. Take care bud.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
Some states operate mobile DOT checkpoints. They set up wherever they feel like it and wave vehicles in as they choose. If you get pulled in you are going to be dealing with a full-fledged DOT cop, who knows all the rules governing CMV’s and CDL licensing.
They only have jurisdiction over( and CDL is only required for) **commercial** vehicles.

The whole point of MH / RV type registrations, is such private **non** commercial vehicles are exempt from weight regs, and other CDL considerations.

Even more so IRL than technically, for a change. As soon as it's clear your rig is non-commercial, on your way have a nice day.

Obviously dangerous safety issues are a different story.

And if you're caught engaging in commerce with your huge MH-registered vehicle, all bets are off.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Post MO Missouri info

Newbie here. I'm in the market for a 7-8 window bus so I did a little research on what one would need as far as a license in Missouri, and I figured posting here for someone to find would be beneficial. As of 7/27/2021 the highway patrol office informed me no CDL or special license is required if the bus:

is lower than 26,000 GVWR
has hydraulic brakes
you paint over or cover the "school" portion of the signage

They actually had to consult with a coworker on my question so I'm not sure about the requirements of a full size bus.

Here is the number in case you need it (816)622-0718
Deadbolt0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt0804 View Post
Newbie here. I'm in the market for a 7-8 window bus so I did a little research on what one would need as far as a license in Missouri, and I figured posting here for someone to find would be beneficial. As of 7/27/2021 the highway patrol office informed me no CDL or special license is required if the bus:

is lower than 26,000 GVWR
has hydraulic brakes
you paint over or cover the "school" portion of the signage

They actually had to consult with a coworker on my question so I'm not sure about the requirements of a full size bus.

Here is the number in case you need it (816)622-0718
The only thing that will change due to the size of the bus is the GVWR. The brake system will probably be air operated on a larger bus. Some states require CDL for air brakes, some require only an Air Brake endorsement. Many states drop those requirements on an RV designation.