Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 99
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000 cab over 9 window
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
ANYONE DEAL WITH OHIO / PA DMV?

I just got my first bus, a nine window TC1000 blue bird. its GVWR is 25K lbs, has air brakes, and once set up will have seatbelts for 8 plus a driver. I bought it in PA with a buddy who lives there and we titled it in his name in pa. we are waiting on the official title (as a bus) to get mailed back to him to get plates for it. once we do we will haul it to my welding shop in ohio and i will start building the inside, since we will have a few hundred bucks tied up in pa plates we are going to run it till they expire but then once everything inside is installed (fridge, sink, bunks, table, stove, generator underneath, couch) i want to title it as an RV in ohio... anyone dealt with them? hows it work? suggestions??

GO BUFFALO BILLS!!!!
Brian

Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Re: ANYONE DEAL WITH OHIO / PA DMV?

I'm coming up on that myself pretty soon here in OH... I will keep you posted.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

so we got plates for the bus, it says bus on the plate on the back... registration card says 17 passenger... hope this isnt a problem being you need a CDL to haul more than 16 passengers in pa (where its plated at) you ever run into this?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Bus Nut

In case you still need to know...
Successfully got the bus titled and plated as a motorhome. $285 was a bit steep, but no real hurdles, just signed an affidavit and walked out with the converted title.

adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

title/reg in oregon is like 100 more than that.. try colorado...
alabama has like $25 car lic fees, but large motorhomes pay almost as much as the OTR trucks a year.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowBoxer
In case you still need to know...
Successfully got the bus titled and plated as a motorhome. $285 was a bit steep, but no real hurdles, just signed an affidavit and walked out with the converted title.

so my cohort in pa notarized the title to me and is mailing it here in ohio, i will need a vin verification, and the title in hand to go get a new title? i can walk out that day with an RV title? what was the 285 for? the fee for a new title??

thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Mostly the $285 was taxes. I walked in with a signed over and notarized title, and my vin verification paper. I signed an affidavit saying it is converted. I paid tax and title fees. I walked out with an Ohio RV title.

adjective

Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

I think everything you pay to the DMV is taxes... even for the plates...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 72

I am buying my first bus here in PA and have run into some snags all ready. It's a 72 passenger IH with a Comet body. - 12 rows of seats. I'm told that since I am building a motorhome out o fit I must (without plates or registration) do all the work inside and out meeting all the very specific "needs and must haves and then have it towed to a special inspection place that does "enhanced" inspections and then get state approval to be issued motorhome plates. I like the idea of leaving it plated as a bus while working on it. How did you go about getting it plated that way. It has 12 rows of seats but will only have 4 seats and a drivers seat in it the day I get it. A notary quoted me about $700 for a bus plate!
Thanks
Jim
jkronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I posted but do not see the post so I beg forgiveness if this shows twice. I am buying a 72 passenger IH with a Comet body on it. I talked to a notary and they told me (verified with Penndot) that to change it to an RV I have to do all required renovations and have an "enhanced" inspection ($150) and then submit all the paperwork to get a plate and registration for an RV. I liked the idea of leaving it plated as a bus while working on it but was quoted almost $700 for the plates and of course would have to have CDL. How did you get it plated without that kind of hit? There will only be 4 seats or less and the drivers seat the day I get it. Any info will be appreciated!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

you have to wait until a moderator approves your first posts before you can automatically post a message...
Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

hey jkronmiller,
here is my story, my friend and i bought our bus in pa, 25,000 lb GVWR (no cdl rewuired) got insurance and a registration as a bus and looked into pa to register as a motor home and ran into all the BS youre talking about, pa seems to be a bear to deal with doing a conversion even under 26k lbs... so since i paid 90% of the bus cost and once i had the required stuff inside (stove, fridge, table, sleeping quarters, sink) we transfered the title to me in ohio... i signed an affadavit that i had the stuff inside, got a MH (motor home) title and once i get insurance (this week, i need to show em pics of inside and out) i will get plates and be legal, registered, insured, and legally allowed to drive as a motor home...

its a pain in the butt, and from what i saw in pa i wanted nothing to do with it, luckly ohio was a better option...

i wonder if you know any close trustworthy friends or family in maybe ohio, or a southern state to title it where the laws are less draconian...

GOOD LUCK!!

brian
Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info. I purchased the bus, it's a 98 - 72 passenger Thomas on the IH chassis. Just removed the last seat. PA is a complete mess on this. I wish I still had family in Ohio because that is sure where this would get registered!