Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Anyone from Utah please help!

I am in southern UT and buying a bus from NV on Friday. What is the best way to get legal UT? the people at DMV were of no help at all. I have to store my bus in storage but the bus has to be registered and insured to do so. I have read the VT method but is it really necessary here? I will be converting by removing the bus from storage, doing some converting and taking it back for nights due to my HOA. Anyone with insight from this area would be much appreciated.

Warever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I believe in Utah you can get a temp tag on line for $6, that should get you home registration wise. I have State Farm insurance on my other stuff. They cover me in any vehicle I buy for 7 days, check with your carrier. Normally you could leave it unregistered and uninsured while you build it out, too bad the storage has you by the short ones. You may need to purchase a "commercial for personal use" policy while you build.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
During construction, look into a "compensation only" policy. State Farm allows this.. can't drive it on the policy but covers it in case of fire, flood, theft, etc..

I think it was ~$15 or so a month to cover our short bus.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Yeah ok but my real concern is really how to register in Utah because from what the DMV told me the title and registration is done at the same time. I need it to be legal to drive frequently DURING the conversion process. So I understand that most have it registered as an RV with it still being titled as a bus. But I am confused as to how others were able to do this in Utah with such ease.... I'm about to drop some carpet bolt down a counter w/ a sink that has a foot pump to pull h20 from a 5 gallon jug, slap in a counter top stove with a 5 gallon propane tank right next to it, throw in a quick built bed frame, and a portable toilet. Maybe a small fridge with a small generator. I think that covers all the requirements except the heat and a/c. Has anyone pulled something like this off?
Warever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
I live in Utah too

I got the title switched over to my name until I can register it as an RV. Utah needs pictures of the conversion and a weight slip after the build. But the title can be transferred over first.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
During construction, look into a "compensation only" policy. State Farm allows this.. can't drive it on the policy but covers it in case of fire, flood, theft, etc..

I think it was ~$15 or so a month to cover our short bus.
I found this out by accident........

I had intended to suspend coverage on the short bus but miscommuncated what I wanted and wound up with comp only.

Before I could straighten it out a tree fell on the short bus. State Farm covered the damage.

A fortunate miscommunication.....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, utah