Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International 3800
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 77
Automatically covered for 30days on any vehicle acquired.

I am trying to find insurance to get our new bus from Colorado to New Mexico. I called a few brokers and told them I only need insurance to drive it home and after the conversion I would get RV insurance. None of the companies he works with had anything available for my situation, but he did say that if I currently have an auto policy I am covered for 30 day on any vehicle that is acquired. He said its national law. Can anybody verify?

Vanenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

The insurance I had when I got our bus said 2 weeks....
Old 08-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanenver View Post
I am trying to find insurance to get our new bus from Colorado to New Mexico. I called a few brokers and told them I only need insurance to drive it home and after the conversion I would get RV insurance. None of the companies he works with had anything available for my situation, but he did say that if I currently have an auto policy I am covered for 30 day on any vehicle that is acquired. He said its national law. Can anybody verify?
I was told this once back in the day. Got into a mild fender bender on the way home from picking up my first bus (orlando on a friday downtown in a bus) and was sued to the tune of $4500+...
The insurance co basically said "you don't like it get a lawyer".
Not trying to scare anyone but that's what happened to me.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Eastcoast...seemed to good to be true. Conatacted farm bureau and it looks like they will cover it. Fingers crossed
Old 08-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I'm sure it varies from policy to policy and state to state. But it pays to be prepared. Best of luck to ya, let us know how it goes.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Year: 2001
Chassis: AMTRAN
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 83 pass
It does vary policy to policy and state to state.
My farm bureau agent is working on this for me as well ... happy to cover it without seats. He is working on getting me coverage for the drive home and I am trying to find someone to take the seats out before I pick it up.
outward hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Will you keep me posted on what your agent comes up with?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
Cdl

The big problem is with your drivers license, generally speaking you cannot drive a vehicle that is titled as a "school bus" unless you have a cdl along with a passenger certification.

Even if your insurance says it covers new vehicles driven home you must look at the policy to see if it covers commercial vehicles or just regular passenger vehicles.

And even if it does cover commercial vehicles you are still driving illegally since you dont have a CDL

With that being said I just like most everyone here had to drive a bus home without the proper license.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Bus Geek

The FHP didn't care what license I had in that fender bender.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #10

I have the definitive answer on my insurance dilemma in my state and my county from my insurance company (farm bureau).

A commercial policy will cover a bus. I told the truth - I usually say more than I should - to my agent and his underwriter does not have a problem with insuring it as a "bus" under a commercial policy. It costs $330 for 6 months - liability only. My state is CHEAP for insurance and I have no issues like tickets that bump me into a higher premium bracket. Expect to pay double if the company can find a reason to put you in a less "preferred" tier. Once it is converted it will segue over to my personal auto policy.

Insurance in general is tricky business - they evaluate "risk" by credit score, driving record, "exposure" - ie ferrari verses honda and how many lines of business you have with them. It is an industry that can be relationship driven - they like you better if you insure a home and your cars with them!

ps - I did hold a licence to sell property and casualty (home and auto type) insurance in Florida years ago so have some insights into how it works.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

And in all likelihood the insurance company is not going to care if you have a CDL or not either ... what they are concerned with is that a personal passenger policy is a contract that specifies the types of vehicles covered. My company and my state define a personal passenger vehicle as one that is equipped to transport no more than 9 people.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Farm Bureau turned me down, they said they would be happy to help after the conversion.
They did refer me to a local broker who was able to get me covered for 6 months at $604 through progressive. I'm sure they will probably end up canceling on me, but I plan to cancel on them once the bus is home.

I talked to a few different brokers and was so happy to find one that was will to make it happen for me.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #13

Awesome!! Sorry about the $ though.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

[QUOTE=outward hound;121309]Awesome!! Sorry about the $ though. [/QUOTE

it will only end up costing me around $100 bucks for the fees days I will have it insured and the cancelation fee.

I wish it didn't cost me the $100, but I am happy to have peace of mind as I drive home.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

My policy covers 2 weeks, as for the license I own it I drive it. If it's titled in my name . it's my personal property and not used for Commerce. I've been stopped by the dot, they tell me to get out of their sight.
Jpe123 is offline   Reply With Quote