Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Skoolie

Big insurance problem and so bummed about it.

My insurance agent wrote an application for insurance to fit what we both described what my skali was. I had insurance and went to get plates. It took some effort to get the Michigan SOS to find what we could call it and put plates on it so it is legal. I did prevail and was very pleased. Insurance for a motorhome at $257 a year and plates for $52 a year. We began taking out seats and discovering how we wanted to use our skali. After camping three times with it, it was evident that we wanted to keep it as open as possible. It already has tinted windows and track seating. Our idea was to throw down a cushion for beds and build cabinets to house tv, stereo, frig, and a microwave. We would use campground facilities for showers and restroom but we would have a portapot for emergencies. All the comforts we wanted would be on the bus and the necessities were addressed. We were in skoolie satisfaction.

A week ago, the insurance company sent us a letter informing us that our bus did not meet their standard so they wrote a policy for a commercial bus that was for $303 per six months. Man! That's $606 a year. More than double our initial endeavor. I quickly called my agent and he said that we should send in pictures of our renovations as this would name it as a proper motor home conversion. We put up curtains, made up beds and had our appliances in plain view. We just got word back to day that they want to see permanent walls, a bathroom, a sink with running water, a permanent stove and a built in frig. I'm doomed. I don't want any of that. It is plain to see in our pictures that we will not carry any number of people in our bus. It would seem like that should limit our liability as well as school buses being the safest vehicles out there. There is the issue of liability to other motorist, but that doesn't make sense that a manufactured motor home would have any less liability there.
At any rate I am going to have to pull my skoolie off the road. I could just insure it for the six months of the summer season but that really p-sses me off because I really wanted to take our skoolie to my Alabama in laws for Christmas.

Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Big insurance problem and so bummed about it.

What insurance company was this? I never had this problem with progressive. If this company isn't happy to take your money, call around and give it to a different company. You are their customer, I wouldn't put up with this kind of service - call someone else.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks Phillbus for your reply. The insurance company is Stat- farm. This agent has really tried to help us as he handles all of our vehicles as well as our home and property. And yes I have enquired around to other insurance agents and companies and all others can not find a company to insure it in any category. Progre--Ive was said to be unable to insure us because of some Michigan new rules. Another agent made pretty much the same call back. I have went to all the reliable insurance agents in the area. Online companies don't seem to produce any results either.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

gmac insurance is more than happy to insure an old school bus you are or have converted to a motorhome. I have progressive now, but used to have gmac.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I had no issues with State Farm, but my bus does have some of the stuff you listed, mostly because that is what I wanted, but also because of the state requirements for RV plates. Try GMAC, but if that doesn't work I guess I would suggest making it work to keep them happy. The mods required really don't need to take up that much space.

Ignore the temporary AC in the window and the propane cylinders used for an outdoor grill. You can see that an RV stove and a sink need not take up that much space. Heck, if you got creative you could build some counterspace that covered both when not in use.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train-train
Progre--Ive was said to be unable to insure us because of some Michigan new rules. Another agent made pretty much the same call back.
Try the Drive insurance from progressive... you have to see a progressive agent, not the national 1-800 number. They insured me (a little over a year ago now) with no problems. Rates were very good, I think around $300/year. Sounds like Jason also has progressive, and we both live in Michigan.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I also have Drive insurance with Progressive. It is $190 a year. They also said that I had to have certain things done within a year or my rate would go up. I have to have a permanent toilet, sink, and a bed in there. I also had to remove the stop sign and paint it which I've done. I don't remember them saying anything about having to have a stove in it. I'm not planning on putting one in my bus. We're just going to have a fridge and microwave in our bus. I should have all my plumbing done this winter sometime.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Skoolie

I am still running into a wall with insurance. My local Progressive agent started all the questions and finally asked outright " is your RV a converted school bus?" We answered yes it is converted. He then bluntly said. We will not insure converted school buses. We mentioned that we have friend in Michigan that have insurance for their bus through Progress Drive. He responded that their agents must have wrote the application to fake it. I am pissed! First, a school bus is the one of the safest vehicals on the road, why won't these insurance companies get on board and support skoolies?

Just so you all know. I am fourty-two years old. I have a current CDL. I have had two minor accidents both of which were determined to be the fault of the other participant. the first one was in college '87'. The second one was in '92'. I have no points and nothing I could even think of to have a insurance company be cautious of me. So what is it.

Pillbus, what do you think of the idea of me insuring my bus with your agent? Is there anything wrong with selling insurance to someone thats not local (I live in Sturgis). I certainly do not want to jepardize anything that you have. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Sounds like you need to stop trying to push the rope. Try GMAC as others have suggested here, if you haven't already.
They insured mine over the phone, not concerned with seeing it, pictures of it or descriptions of it. I told them I wanted to insure my motorhome, gave them the VIN and stuff, she asked if was a converted bus and I said yes and we just kept on going until she asked how I'd like to pay for this. When I hung up I had a policy number and was insured - took aobut 20 minutes.
Cost about $200 a year.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 AM   #10
Skoolie

wtd,

I have contacted GMAC. I was very mindful of what I said. I always said RV or motor home. When defining category I told them ford, then they wanted by who. I am stuck I have to say thomas. They ask if it is a converted school bus. Yes it is. Then. either we can not insure it or we will give you a commercial rate.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Wow, I'm surprised, never heard of anyone having any trouble with GMAC. Don't know what else to suggest.
Maybe another call back to GMAC to talk to another person - maybe like the DMV, you have to keep asking 'til you get to the person that has the answer you want.
I hope you get some luck going your way.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

GMAC was very cool with me even when I told them it was not converted yet.
$250 for a year

you must be saying something they dont like.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Well I let my policy lapse for the winter, so I'm not worried about anything there. I dont know the name of my agent but they're on 28th street in Wyoming, MI 49509 - I'm sure a google search will find it, I'm on the road with jason delivering his bus or I'd look up the phone number & my policy number. I can check when we get home - prob sat. or sunday.

I dont know why you keep running into snags with the insurance, thats a real bummer. Keep trying diffrnet agents/companies, it sounds like your agent might not have run across something like a skoolie before and may not know how to do it. I doubt that every other agent has lied on the appt. to cover our bus's.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

My State Farm insurance agent is Mary Eddy Samuelson in Virginia, MN and she has been very cool with me if all else fails.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
Skoolie

I have talked with coworkers that have family as insurance agents. I guess an agent is licensed to a state. Some agents are licenced for more than one state if their business benefits from border cross over.

I am still running into a wall. I even talked to a local agency that I know for a fact provides insurance to a guy that has had several DUIs, and that agency is willing to provide liability insurance on this guy. Yet, they say they can not give me a policy to cover my school bus as a motor home. Its a funny world when all the facts support you and still no one will find a way to make things right.

Philbus, if you are home now, could you give me your agents info. I am getting absolutely no where in my local area.

As for my blowing off steam, what is it with these agents? I thought that they were in their position to work at finding a policy that fit the circumstances. Something here in Michigan has polluted the process of insuring a converted school bus and it started before I came along. Another agent today told me that they are continuing to service their current converted school bus customers but the agencies have put a stop to issuing new policies. What is happening?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Well....

My agent is fantastic. She is willing to work with me on ANYTHING, has no issue suspending and restarting my coverage on a whim, heck...she even found me a $50 per year policy with NO deductible to cover my newly purchased Snap-On tools. She is awesome, plain and simple. She also gets ALL my business, even if I can save a buck here or there.

I don't understand why agents won't work to make a buck. I really doubt my bus is ever going to cost State Farm any money, but it is making my agent money. Even if it is not directly from the policy, it is just another reason why I get my more expensive policies through her.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train-train
Philbus, if you are home now, could you give me your agents info. I am getting absolutely no where in my local area.
Sure,

My policy number is 428995 38-0
For the vehicle make is says BLUEB and Model is listed as PC2000 (typo, should read TC2000)

My agent is... Stedman Insurance Agency Inc 508 28th St SW, Wyoming, MI (616) 538-9911

I don't remember who I talked to, I got it in March 06, and never renewed it last summer. I remember it being rather simple, no questions asked, and my policy was $300/year.

Hope this helps
Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #18
Skoolie

phillbus914,

You are the man! We have gotten in touch with your agency and we went through all the questions. they seemed a little hesitant about insuring our bus. They said it was no problem if we only wanted basic coverage. Basic coverage was all we were ever looking for from any of the agencies we approached. We are trying to get documents and signatures worked out ( trying to find access to a fax), but it looks like we will secure insurance for $249 a year. Our gratitude and thanks! If we ever meet up we owe you at least a home (or campfire) cooked meal.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #19
Bus Nut

No problem, I'm glad it worked out for ya.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

wow you guys in the us seem to get incredeble insurance rates in bc we pay and pay im sure that my bus will cost about 800 bucks a year here in bc canada we get gouged big time and thats if your bus is converted and reggyed as a motorhome!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote