Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Get a bill of sale,title in hand.
Take a thick piece of white paper and sharpie IN TRANSIT on it and drive the thing home.
Use the main roads and not the backroad's.
That way every little Podunk town sheriff/cop don't get a chance because there bored.
I can say that cause I grew up in the middle of nowhere and know they get bored everybody knows everybody body they just call the parents instead of the cops.
So the cop is bored begging for something.
But your heading to NY.
Do you have a place to park and work on it?

Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
no such thing as a temporary permit like we have in Canada?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Same in Texas. For something like 10 (?) bucks (been a while since I needed one), you can get a thirty day "Transit" tag for just about anything.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
You don't need a CDL to drive a bus unless you're transporting passengers (16+).
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #45
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
We do temporary tags but NY DMV requires it to have insurance, which is freaking expensive as hell.
the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
You don't need a CDL to drive a bus unless you're transporting passengers (16+).
Hmmmm.

Last I checked, in Washington, you are required to have a CDL to drive a vehicle equipped to carry 15+ passengers. Even when you have no passengers on board.

Regulations vary by state.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7exp View Post
Welp I just called Progressive and they said they don't have a product for me. However I did go on Liberty Mutual and got a quote for $621 a month...maybe I should just go with that and then cancel it, thoughts?

You need to call "Progressive Commercial". Do *NOT* call the personal vehicle division. Tell them you need a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy. You do *NOT* need a $600+/month policy. You are *NOT* using this vehicle in commerce. You are not using it as a revenue producing vehicle. You should not be paying more than $100/month for coverage (and even that's a bit high on the spectrum).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:29 PM   #48
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
You need to call "Progressive Commercial". Do *NOT* call the personal vehicle division. Tell them you need a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy. You do *NOT* need a $600+/month policy. You are *NOT* using this vehicle in commerce. You are not using it as a revenue producing vehicle. You should not be paying more than $100/month for coverage (and even that's a bit high on the spectrum).
That's what I did the first time and they said they didn't have a policy for me even though I asked for that specific thing. They asked me what I would use it for and I said it was for moving stuff. Then again, the agent kept changing the story every few seconds so I hung up on him. I'll call again tomorrow. what exactly should I say?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #49
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Take a thick piece of white paper and sharpie IN TRANSIT on it and drive the thing home.
That way every little Podunk town sheriff/cop don't get a chance because there bored.
I can say that cause I grew up in the middle of nowhere and know they get bored everybody knows everybody body they just call the parents instead of the cops.
But your heading to NY.
Yes, a great place. It's just a matter of registration and insurance which is pissing me off
Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 PM   #50
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
But your heading to NY.
Also, isn't this illegal?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
That's what I did the first time and they said they didn't have a policy for me even though I asked for that specific thing. They asked me what I would use it for and I said it was for moving stuff. Then again, the agent kept changing the story every few seconds so I hung up on him. I'll call again tomorrow. what exactly should I say?

Like Brad said, I called Progressive Commercial 888 806 9598 and used the magic words "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use". Worked like a charm. Call again and see if you get a different agent maybe? Don't offer information that they don't ask for, don't chat with them, just make it a business call and answer the questions that they ask and you shouldn't have to hang up without having insurance.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Also worse comes to worse, I may have to tow my bus to my house. Regular buses may be invisible on the road but mine is a 60 foot vehicle, and that's going to be a problem.
�� Did I miss something? 60' long? Did you buy an articulated bus? Pictures please!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Our policy through State Farm (still in 'application' mode) is $130/6 months or $26/month. Not sure what's holding up the process, but our account shows it's covered. One thing I did learn from our agent is, the bus will not count towards a multi-car discount. We have our Fiat and a suspended policy for a vehicle we are selling. Once the suspended policy goes away, even though we'll have two vehicles, the discount won't apply.
Just checked and our bus policy is out of 'application' mode and it now listed as Commercial with the vehicle as a 2003 International. Looks like all is good!
Old 02-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #54
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
�� Did I miss something? 60' long? Did you buy an articulated bus? Pictures please!
Did I forget to mention it's a 60 foot articulated bus? My bad lol, shes a beauty and I would really love to get her on the road so I can work on her. Does this change the insurance scheme of things?
Old 02-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Did I forget to mention it's a 60 foot articulated bus? My bad lol, shes a beauty and I would really love to get her on the road so I can work on her. Does this change the insurance scheme of things?
That may change a lot of things.....

Things vary by state....

I was curious what it would take to register something like that. I checked and found that the max legal length for a single vehicle is 45'. If you are a transit authority there is an exception and can run the articulated buses.

I tried to get creative and register the front as a motor vehicle and the back as a trailer. No luck.....

I would suggest that you verify that you can register it and drive it in the places you want to go before getting too invested.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I assume that unless the bus is an Prevost H5-60 that the bus in question is a transit bus that is not only 60' long but 102" wide.

You may find that it will be a bit of a problem getting it licensed and insured.

Legally about the only places you can drive the 60' buses is on the Interstate. Most states, counties, and cities restrict the use of artic's to transit agencies or commercial bus companies.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #57
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I assume that unless the bus is an Prevost H5-60 that the bus in question is a transit bus that is not only 60' long but 102" wide.

You may find that it will be a bit of a problem getting it licensed and insured.

Legally about the only places you can drive the 60' buses is on the Interstate. Most states, counties, and cities restrict the use of artic's to transit agencies or commercial bus companies.
But it's not impossible?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
You probably need a CDL to drive it. Each state has limitations on vehicles for non-CDL. As an example, CA max motor home length is 45’ and that’s with a non-commercial class B.

If you don’t have a commercial license for this thing, you are likely not going to be able to insure it. And if you are able to insure it, you would probably only be able to insure it as a commercial for personal use vehicle. Once you convert it, no one will insure it - probably.

I doubt you will ever be able to register it as an RV.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
But it's not impossible?
Sounds like it's possible if you're a transit agency
Old 02-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
Here's a breakdown of all the license requirements for vehicles. Looks like you would be good to drive it in NY with an endorsement for the weight.

Don't know any specifics about length here.

RV Driver's License Requirements