Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
Bring Her Home (Tips For The Maiden Voyage)

So, I have mostly been seeking out buses that happen to be out of state. I am wondering what tidbits one should keep in mind when bringing home the new addition. For example...

...if the bus still has all of its seats (more than 16 of them), do you need a CDL?

...is there a such a thing as temporary insurance for someone who is just transporting a vehicle?

...where temporary tags are concerned, should they be from your state of residence?

...is there a particular set to tools that may be smart to have with you?

...anything else that those of you with more experience would share with folks going to retrieve a bus for the first time?

As always, I can't think you all enough for your time and insight. Happy Friday!
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
Ask your insurance agent.

if you have an auto policy with someone, there is typically a temporary coverage extended to a newly purchased vehicle.

Here in Colorado, you have 2 weeks from the date on the bill of sale, to get it home, covered by your primary auto insurance.

the recent bill of sale should satisfy any police officer as to lack of registration.

take tools for changing a battery or fuel filters. pliers, metric and sae socket set, big ass channel locks.

don't stop at weigh stations unless it says "rv's included". there is no need to explain your situation to anyone. your are converting the bus into an RV, so think like an RV, act like an RV. its going to be an rv as soon as you get home and register it.

good luck and enjoy the trip!!
Old 04-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
Ask your insurance agent.

if you have an auto policy with someone, there is typically a temporary coverage extended to a newly purchased vehicle.

Here in Colorado, you have 2 weeks from the date on the bill of sale, to get it home, covered by your primary auto insurance.

the recent bill of sale should satisfy any police officer as to lack of registration.

take tools for changing a battery or fuel filters. pliers, metric and sae socket set, big ass channel locks.

don't stop at weigh stations unless it says "rv's included". there is no need to explain your situation to anyone. your are converting the bus into an RV, so think like an RV, act like an RV. its going to be an rv as soon as you get home and register it.

good luck and enjoy the trip!!
Thanks! Looking into that temporary policy extension now... any idea about CDL requirements?
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You will need to check NC codes, but VA codes say you don't need a CDL if you're operating a vehicle purely for personal reasons such as recreation. Look under driver's license definitions and such rather than the CDL sections of your code: this is an exception which isn't handy or quoted if you're poking around the CDL parts (like the CDL handbook they give you).

I plan on spraying or putting black duct tape over the lights and signage, removing the stopsign, and neatly lettering, "Personal Use RV - not for hire" just under the driver's window.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
That's true, although the length of time seems to vary by state. Here in Oregon you have 30 days from the date of purchase to get it officially insured with your current agent, provided you have one. Until then your insurance card for your current/previous auto policy will usually suffice with a current recently dated bill of sale.

There's no two ways about it. You have to look it up for your state, or you can take someone's word for it.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Although there are some who ARE knowledgeable about the requirements for licensing, i.e., CDL, the ULTIMATE authority is your state's DMV/MVD/State Police.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I think the "ULTIMATE" would stand out better in red.

I still have to laugh when someone asks, because they get so many different answers for the next couple days, then they have to go to the DMV and find out anyway. Even in the same state interpretation of the rules seems to vary between individuals.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I think the "ULTIMATE" would stand out better in red.

I still have to laugh when someone asks, because they get so many different answers for the next couple days, then they have to go to the DMV and find out anyway. Even in the same state interpretation of the rules seems to vary between individuals.
That's the truth! I got a 'gotta have a CDL' from the local DMV, and was corrected by reading the law and calling the state DMV.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Bus Geek

It's the only way. Half of are wrong about our own states. We call it a loose interpretation.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
CDL - commercial driver's license. Regulated by the federal DOT. Not needed for privately owned vehicles. No matter what anyone tells you, if you are not hauling something/ someone for compensation, you are not required to have it.

You can buy a brand new Peterbuilt and as long as not for hire, private vehicle is identified with a regular plate, again, no CDL is required. (Ask the retired truck drivers on here. They can tell you.)

HOWEVER, check with your state on air brake endorsement if you buy a skoolie with air brakes. Some states do require that.

Tags
insurance, interstate, license, out of state, transport