Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

Bringing a bus to MA

I've been looking to buy a school bus to convert for a while... finally I find one that fits what I want, and at a good price, not too far away in Connecticut. And then I discovered the nightmare of bringing an unregistered vehicle to MA. The RMV won't issues temp. plates, and I can't get it registered/insured as an RV before I buy it as its still in full school bus configuration (signs and all). Not only does MA not issue temp plates, but they specifically state that a Massachusetts resident can't use out of state temp plates to transport a vehicle. They will however accept the plates if the operator is a resident of the state which the plates are from. So, aside from getting a tow (which I imagine would cost north of 1k for the 130 mile trip) there seems to be no legal way of doing it. My only other idea is to have the current owner go to the DMV, get 10 day commercial plates, stick them on, and take the risk of driving it back. If temporary plates are legal in MA for CT drivers, they can't pull over every one they see to check (can they??).

Has anyone successfully brought an unconverted bus into the bay state?

Any tips?? This is looking to be a real headache...

jpells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Bringing a bus to MA

If it's still registered in CT, have the previous owner bring it over before cancelling the plates and insurance. If it's off the road, maybe your idea of having him drive on CT temp plates would work.

Another thought is MA "repair" plates. I expect MA still issues them to garages. Similar to car dealer plates, a repair plate could go on any vehicle. I don't know if there is a mileage limit from the garage like on a farm plate, but you might make friends with a local mechanic and offer a generous amount of bucks to go drive the bus back for you on his plates. I wouldn't mess with dealer plates, they are usually not valid unless the dealer has ownership of the vehicle.

Ah, for the good old days. When I was a kid, instead of temporary plates, MA allowed you to take the plates off of your old vehicle and put them on your new one. All you needed to carry was your old registration plus a bill of sale from the previous owner, which at the time might have been handwritten on a piece of paper. Now you have titles and all kinds of things to protect you from theft and make money for the Commonwealth.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice redbear.

Fortunately, I was able to get a friend who lives in NH to get temp plates and drive it into MA. She made the 3 hour trip fine at highway speed. Now to go through the nightmare of insuring and registering it in MA!!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #4

Speaking of registering it, I don't plan on doing enough to it for it to really be considered an RV (removing some seats, a table, bed, etc), and considering it's under commercial weight in MA (26,000 lbs, limit is 26,001!!!) and has hydraulic brakes instead of air... could I register it as a car once enough seats are removed and the school bus markings are covered? Anyone ever try this?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Did you every figure this out? We are looking into converting a short bus into a camper (no plumbing or electrical) and would love to know how to transport and register in MA.
newbiefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

We drove ours 50 miles home (in Michigan) with no plates and no insurance. Apparently, that's legal here if you're just moving the vehicle home. Not saying I'd recommend that in your state but it worked for us. Another skoolie member drove theirs nearly coast to coast the same way.

In your place I think I would bring along a valid plate from one of your vehicles and use that one for the trip home. It's only a problem if you get pulled over. If the DMV wants to know how you got it home just say the previous owner drove it up then took his plates with him.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

Awesome, thanks so much!
newbiefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72

Sorry I missed this. I drove from Maryland to MA with no plates no insurance. 30k lbs and air brakes.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

When I was a kid, before cars had titles, your old plates on a vehicle you just bought plus a handwritten bill of sale from the previous owner served as legal temp plates in MA. Just another example of how life was much simpler (and easier to cheat).
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 65

I have a bus thats registered as an RV in Florida, and I just moved to Massachusetts, could somebody who has already made the move tell me about the process?

Thanks!
coolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Food for thought….

I know there are a lot of transporting services….. usually dealers…. but they can have it insured under a dealer policy and probably tagged as such just to get it there.

I think this would be cheaper than a tow but maybe harder to find someone who can do this….

Just a thought.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 65

So I have valid tags on the bus right now and can drive it into Massachusetts, I was wondering more about registration, vehicle inspections etc., as they probably differ vastly in Massachusetts vs. Florida which was very relaxed about the whole process. If anybody has already registered a bus in MA, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
coolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:04 AM   #13

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Chassis: Freightliner (FS-65)
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbus View Post
So I have valid tags on the bus right now and can drive it into Massachusetts, I was wondering more about registration, vehicle inspections etc., as they probably differ vastly in Massachusetts vs. Florida which was very relaxed about the whole process. If anybody has already registered a bus in MA, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
This is an old thread - but in case it's still helpful to someone (the entire registration / mass-a-ma-chusetts thing was a stressful part for me) - I recently was able to register a 25,500 pound 6 window Saf-T-Liner (Freightliner FS65) here as a generic commercial vehicle. The key was hydraulic service brakes (air parking brake was ok) and being under CDL 26,001. The other condition that made the person at the DMV very happy was "removal of all traffic control devices." It also must not say school, or childrens, or multimega amber alert anywhere on the vehicle.

As far as achieving the RV (or "autohome") status - I wanted to try that, but they came back with a list of things the bus would have to have. I think it was a 6 out of 8 type of situation. I wish I had asked for a copy but at that point I just wanted to get out of there with plates before they changed their mind.

Some of the other little caveats - in general commercial registration is expensive here. Anything over 10,000 lbs is automatically commercial in the 'Commonwealth'.
Registration is a flat fee and then by weight something like $20 per thousand pounds. They also hit you with a rather steep "new commercial" plate fee.
Lastly unlike passenger plates you pay for a year (maybe there is a half year option too), but if you get your bus in November, you are essentially paying for at least 1/2 of the year that's almost over. In January you get to pay again. There is a general Massachusetts theme going on here in case you haven't noti$ed yet.

Anyway I hope that's helpful. Still looking for a good mechanic and a solid parking situation out here in the Pioneer Valley. Best luck. In general it's ok here once you get used to the unique paperwork flavorings.
cleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaves View Post
This is an old thread - but in case it's still helpful to someone (the entire registration / mass-a-ma-chusetts thing was a stressful part for me) - I recently was able to register a 25,500 pound 6 window Saf-T-Liner (Freightliner FS65) here as a generic commercial vehicle. The key was hydraulic service brakes (air parking brake was ok) and being under CDL 26,001. The other condition that made the person at the DMV very happy was "removal of all traffic control devices." It also must not say school, or childrens, or multimega amber alert anywhere on the vehicle.

As far as achieving the RV (or "autohome") status - I wanted to try that, but they came back with a list of things the bus would have to have. I think it was a 6 out of 8 type of situation. I wish I had asked for a copy but at that point I just wanted to get out of there with plates before they changed their mind.

Some of the other little caveats - in general commercial registration is expensive here. Anything over 10,000 lbs is automatically commercial in the 'Commonwealth'.
Registration is a flat fee and then by weight something like $20 per thousand pounds. They also hit you with a rather steep "new commercial" plate fee.
Lastly unlike passenger plates you pay for a year (maybe there is a half year option too), but if you get your bus in November, you are essentially paying for at least 1/2 of the year that's almost over. In January you get to pay again. There is a general Massachusetts theme going on here in case you haven't noti$ed yet.

Anyway I hope that's helpful. Still looking for a good mechanic and a solid parking situation out here in the Pioneer Valley. Best luck. In general it's ok here once you get used to the unique paperwork flavorings.
Hi,

I just purchased a 35 foot IC school bus to convert into an RV. I'm also in the pioneer valley. i need to register and insure it. Who do you use for insurance, and have you been able to title yours as an auto home?
Little Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote