Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Skoolie

Bus Insurance Poll

My insurance agent has spent 3 days trying to hook me up with insurance for my "bus".

When I first called I asked for "RV" insurance since I am going to convert it into a "RV" one question lead to another and the word "bus" came up even tho all the seats have been removed and I have no plans on hauling any more passengers than I normally haul in my other RV they still say its a "bus" I keep telling them its a "Chevy C60 chassis" and could now me classified as a delivery truck since its empty inside like a delivery truck.

Any how WHO are you guys using for insurance on your BUS and how much they charging you I think its time to find another insurance company.... I have never filed a claim with these people but if they pay claims as hard as they are making it for me to get insurance I am not sure I want to do business with them any more.

FYI I have a perfect driving record, never filed a claim or had any accidents, no tickets in 19 years heck I havent even been pulled over in 12 years...

Maybe this post can be turned into a future data base for bus insurance?

Thanks in advance

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Insurance a difficult subject

Insurance is not the same for all. The most important information about insurance is, all agents want to sell insurance, insurance is not a get rich vocation, any agent wants to sell all your insurance needs and agents do not want to become your best friend. Since a long time ago, all my insurance comes from a single agent. He is not always the lowest and he is also not always the highest. Agents want all your insurance business. With my agent I have car insurance, pickup truck insurance, health, home, life and bus. I meet with this once a year and review any changes. The packages on insurance yield the best coverage. My company has a few odd requirements. I must take my glass replacement to their choises, and I pay any road service and later get an adjustment refund. My agent has written me a temporary policy to go get a new bus/car. Most city bus folks will not release a bus without proof of insurance. I have only liability insurance coverage. My insurance company is Farm Bureau which has offices in all states.
Surprisingly insurance sellers/agents are human too, and are just trying to feed a family. Nope, never was an agent. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

GMAC seems to be the most friendly when it comes to insuring bus conversions. They were a bit more pricy than progressive. I think GMAC was about $800 per year.

I use progressive (1800progressive, or http://www.progressive.com) and i didn't tell them it was a bus conversion.....i simply stated it is a 36 foot motorhome on an international S1800 chassis (or whatever my chassis is).

Costs me $375 per year. I believe michigan to be a rather expensive insurance state, so you can prob find it cheaper if you live in another state.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Skoolie

Thanks for the reply, I have ALL my insurance with this agent, 2 pickup trucks 2 motor homes, 1 car 1 surburban my house...

NOW I have my "bus" insured with GMAC 134.00 for 6 months, when the wife gets home we will talk about moving ALL our insurance over to GMAC..

FYI I did business with the other company for at least 10 years I only switched agents about 10 years ago because the agent died, I had ALL my insurace with him for about 15 years.

My coverage at this point is just liability 100k/300k I will increase coverage when the conversion is done and the value increases.

Thanks again for the reply how about others, your company and the cost at this point I only purchased insurance for 6 months so can switch to another in the future.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
GMAC seems to be the most friendly when it comes to insuring bus conversions. They were a bit more pricy than progressive. I think GMAC was about $800 per year.

I use progressive (1800progressive, or http://www.progressive.com) and i didn't tell them it was a bus conversion.....i simply stated it is a 36 foot motorhome on an international S1800 chassis (or whatever my chassis is).

Costs me $375 per year. I believe michigan to be a rather expensive insurance state, so you can prob find it cheaper if you live in another state.
Be careful one thing I did find out in all this is the insurance company can tell by the VIN number what it was in the past they can search the history and find out it was titled as a bus in the past, the current title means nothing, guy also said he could write a policy but when it came time to file a claim they might not pay if they want to play the catch 22 card on you, this is one of the reasons I am having so much problems getting it insured I am doing it by full disclosure, GMAC how ever didnt care it was a bus and said they do them all the time...

Thanks for the reply.... I will be checking with progressive in the future.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I have had the same insurance agent my whole life. She is a private State Farm affiliated insurer (sp?) that is just fantastic. MY whole family uses her.

Every other vehicle in the family aside, I have my 1993 Toyota, '84 toyota parts truck (sans front axle now ), my 1985 toyota parts truck, and now the bus. Needless to say I get a multiline discount.

She said it was no big deal and that the company had done them before. It just wasn't frequently enough that should could shoot a quote at me initially. After a week I got a call from her....

~$200 per year with emergency roadside assistance and $25,000/$50,000 liability, enough to get across any state. I don't see any reason to put full coverage on the bus.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I use State Farm and happen to have my statement right here, I pay $11.28 / mo. for full coverage. I have 7 vehicles insured through them so I get a little discount but its probably not that much.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
You probably aren't an unmarried 21 year old male either

I get a discount on my auto insurnace for being accident and ticket free (Steer Clear is the name of the program I believe) after I did a course at home and a little test. It was well worth the time investment. Also, if I were still in school this semester I'd be eligible for the Good Student Discount, another nice chunk of change. The rest is just based on actuarials which is nice because when I turned 21, my insurance dropped $600/year.

That said...I guess actuarials don't play into account with RV insurance and other similar things. A 16 year old will be charged the same amount as a 60 year old. Kinda cool!
Old 03-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I also have insurance through progressive it runs $382/year & I explained that it was an old school bus which I converted into a motor home myself. GMAC offered the same coverage for double that.

I only have PLPD, which in the no fault state of Michigan is completely worthless; unless I'm in an accident & can collect up $500.00 - only if it is the other person’s fault.

To add roadside assistance I would have to have full coverage, which was something like $1,000/year.... yeah I don’t think so.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Progressive quoted me $1500 per year. I think I talked to the wrong person there.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Progressive quoted me $1500 per year. I think I talked to the wrong person there.
I was told that you have to talk to an independent progressive agent in your area. I guess you cant get it directly from progressive since its not a professional conversion. The progressive rep I talked to searched (by zip code) & gave me the # of the closest agent.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
Bus Geek

That would make sense. I just called the 1-800 number and was bounced around from person to person until I ended up in their commercial department. It doesn't really matter anyway because I never had intentions of going with them anyway. I planned on going with my State Farm agent anyway, but I was curious for some comparison