Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #1

Question Buying OUT-OF-STATE - what goes into transporting it? Insurance, etc.

Hi all,

I am very new to all of this, but am currently looking into purchasing a skoolie out of state (Arizona) and bringing it back to Colorado where I am currently residing (although I don't have a permanent address here, yet... I'm looking into places to park it for a long period of time and any advice on this would also help).

I was wondering what goes into this regarding registration and insurance, especially since I am not planning on moving the vehicle for an indefinite period of time once it is back and parked in Colorado. I just plan to live out of it on my off-time from work.

Can anyone give me a basic step by step on what to expect? Is there a way to get insurance just for the time I am transporting it from Arizona to Colorado? Am I better off looking into getting it transported for me, to avoid the insurance process, if I am not planning on driving the vehicle for an extended period of time after that?

FYI: The bus is almost fully converted (toilet, shower, kitchen sink & cabinets, seating area, etc.)

I would appreciate any and all help on this... or just a push in the right direction in terms of resources to look into on this subject.

Thanks so much!!

oceanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
here is a thread on the topic:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/co...ce-9091-3.html

good luck
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Arizona requires sellers to collect state sales tax on vehicles even when purchased to be immediately taken out of state (if your home state charges a sales tax at time of vehicle registration as Utah does, it may reduce the registration-time tax charge by the amount already paid in AZ). If you're buying from an auction, a dealer, or other business-like seller, you'll probably find you have to pay that.

The way around it is to have the vehicle transported by a "common carrier" -- picked up at the seller's location and carried directly out of state. If you went this route the money you'd have spent on sales tax might cover a lot of the transport fee instead, which implicitly pays for hidden things you'd have had to pay such as insurance, fuel, temporary registration/transport permit, and your time.

It may also be possible that transport is so expensive that the only economically viable option is to do what you have to do to drive it home yourself.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Ditto what 'family wagon' said. I once purchased a motorhome in AZ and it cost me twice as much in sales tax than my home state would have charged. I learned my lesson.

It's probably worth pricing out the insurance. You may find that it is so inexpensive that keeping it active is worth it. Otherwise; I would think purchasing it, driving it home, and then putting a "hold" on it for a period of time would be one option. If it is still titled as a bus/commercial vehicle, Progressive Commercial is one place to try. The key phrase seems to be "commercial vehicle for private use." If titled as an RV/motorhome, insurance may be easier to find.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, colorado, insurance, out-of-state, registration