Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Can I just register my short bus as a van in Ohio?

Just bought my bus. 12 passenger short bus. Title is in New York and says Chevrolet G30 Express Bus. Can I just pull some seats out and tell the BMV that it's a van that was used as a bus, and just register it as a van? I'll feed them the line that it's a 7 passenger van that was used as a handicapped bus in NY. It'll only be 7 passenger when I'm done anyways. Seems like it would be easy enough. Cab is already a van so it's not too big of a stretch.

I don't plan on doing everything to convert it to RV, I'd much rather just get my van plate and be done with it.

Thanks.

Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules083 View Post
Just bought my bus. 12 passenger short bus. Title is in New York and says Chevrolet G30 Express Bus. Can I just pull some seats out and tell the BMV that it's a van that was used as a bus, and just register it as a van? I'll feed them the line that it's a 7 passenger van that was used as a handicapped bus in NY. It'll only be 7 passenger when I'm done anyways. Seems like it would be easy enough. Cab is already a van so it's not too big of a stretch.

I don't plan on doing everything to convert it to RV, I'd much rather just get my van plate and be done with it.

Thanks.
YOu probably don't need to change it from BUS. Its only 12 passengers, and its under the GVWR for a CDL.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have done it both ways.. when I had my first bluebird years ago it was registered as a regular passenger car. . I re-titled it from a bus to a passenegr vehicle as its GVWR was under 26k and it had 7 seats.. finding a DMV that actually knows What to do is the hardest part.. be ure you use one of the real ones and not a hired deputy registrar.. there are a few depending on the city you are in..

my red bus is registered as a bus just because it was easy..has 14 seats and GVWR of 17,500 .. they inspected it said "wow cool bus".. and away i went.. that registration costs more than the other did but no title change was needed.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have done it both ways.. when I had my first bluebird years ago it was registered as a regular passenger car. . I re-titled it from a bus to a passenegr vehicle as its GVWR was under 26k and it had 7 seats.. finding a DMV that actually knows What to do is the hardest part.. be ure you use one of the real ones and not a hired deputy registrar.. there are a few depending on the city you are in..

my red bus is registered as a bus just because it was easy..has 14 seats and GVWR of 17,500 .. they inspected it said "wow cool bus".. and away i went.. that registration costs more than the other did but no title change was needed.

-Christopher
I think you're right about the hard part being finding a DMV that knows what to do.

So you just went in and called it a bus? Seems like once you use the word bus a bunch of red flags would be going off. Since there's no inspection in Ohio I was planning on driving something besides the bus to the BMV, just to not give them an extra reason to shoot it down.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

There's no true inspection but when coming from out of state title you have to have the VIN verified that one on title matches one on vehicle so you have to take it to the title agency but no inspection for the tags.
Christopher
Old 10-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I am in NC but even as a 60 passenger I am still insured and registered as a bus for personal use.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Its easier to insure a bus than a bus-turned-rv for many folks.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Many people pay extra on their premiums to cover for uninsured motorist, so I am calling dibs on being THAT guy.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Many people pay extra on their premiums to cover for uninsured motorist, so I am calling dibs on being THAT guy.

I carry FULL coverage on both of my busses.. Comp, collision, liability, uninsured motorist, even towing assistance.. (declared value on comp / collision).

if one gets totalled for whatever reason I want to be able to just build a new one..

I have kept all my receipts for parts / upgrades / etc..

it works (at least it did).. when my first bluebird was destroyed, the insurance paid out pretty good..

-Christopher
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
My shuttle bus had van on the title. I wanted it changed to Motorhome for insurance and parking privaledges . I just had to sign an afidavid that said it now has a table, toilet, bed and water. I think they called it a Body Change affidavid (spell)..
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
My shuttle bus had van on the title. I wanted it changed to Motorhome for insurance and parking privaledges . I just had to sign an afidavid that said it now has a table, toilet, bed and water. I think they called it a Body Change affidavid (spell)..
you dont even need water in ohio.. its even easier..

all it says is 'a place to sleep, a place to refrigerate or keep food cold, a place to prepare and consume food'

no need to have a toilet, sink, water, etc.

here is the wording from the affadavit in OHIO..

REGISTRATION AS MOTOR HOME
A self-propelled vehicle used for the sole purpose of recreational travel that has no fifth wheel; is constructed with
permanently installed facilities for cold storage, cooking and consuming of food and for sleep; is not used for the
purpose of engaging in business for profit, in intrastate commerce, or for the purpose of commerce as defined in the
federal commercial driver license law;
is not regulated by the Public Utilities Commission under Revised Code chapter
governing certain motor carriers.

now can we say that those rules werent created in Columbus by lawmakers that like to attend Buck-I games?

-Christopher
Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #12
Bus Geek

IDk but seems to me that "Van" is much easier to insure than "converted bus".
Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

all it says is 'a place to sleep, a place to refrigerate or keep food cold, a place to prepare and consume food'

A self-propelled vehicle used for the sole purpose of recreational travel that has no fifth wheel; is constructed with
permanently installed facilities for cold storage, cooking and consuming of food and for sleep; is not used for the
purpose of engaging in business for profit, in intrastate commerce, or for the purpose of commerce as defined in the

now can we say that those rules werent created in Columbus by lawmakers that like to attend Buck-I games?

-Christopher
Process is the same in Oklahoma.

No mention of converted anything. They just change the title based on the affidavit. You have to declare four out of about seven listed changes. There is no inspection of the conversion, but the Tag Agency might want to check that the VIN number is intact, and the same as on the declaration.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
Bus Geek

ohio just inspected my VIN.. on my carpenter it titled and registered as a motorhome and when i got the VIN inspection it was just seats.. all seats.
-Christopher
Old 10-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Thanks Chris, my memory sux. And my spelling.
Quote:

-Christopher
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Well, heading to the BMV tomorrow morning. Getting the VIN inspected at the local dealership so the bus won't be at the BMV for prying eyes.

Hopefully this goes easily.

A few people were talking about insurance, I already have it insured through Geico. Would have gone through progressive but once I mentioned putting a bed in the back I got blackballed. Me and my big mouth.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

That was fun. Drove 30 minutes west, got to the place at 10:20. Was told that, even though they're open until 12, they only do out of state titles until 10. Got directed to a place 45 minutes to the east that's supposed to be open 10-2. Get there, big 'closed for today' sign on the door. Made some calls, by then it was too late to make it to anyplace else. Came home empty handed. 2 hours of driving in a big circle for nothing.