Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Canadian but keep Skoolie registered in USA

I've done a ton of research about how to import a bus from the USA, plus all the issues with importing, registering in British Columbia, insurance, etc. While it's not impossible, the hoops to jump through are incredible.

But let's say I bought a bus in Washington State and could get it registered and insured there, but I want to bring it into Canada (I'm Canadian) and do the conversion and use it in Canada (and then head to USA during cold winters). Does anyone know any issues about a Canadian registering a US vehicle and keeping it registered in the US but it spends a lot of time in Canada? I'm not really sure how it will be viewed by Canada Border Services when I drive my big vehicle (still yellow) and spend the next few months converting in Canada and traveling in Canada -- but it is Washington registered and continues to be registered there.

I can find buses that are already imported and British Columbia registered but they often are not as "nice" as the ones I can find in the US.

Thanks

pauldonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Welcome to the forum !
I would want to do the same as you if I could figure out how.
The border keeps track of your crossings and vehicle crossings.
If and when some border agent gets to looking at your crossing records, they will take action.
What that might be, I do not know.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

I know (I think I know) that if I brought the bus into Canada and didn't say anything to the Canada Border Service that it will be staying, or getting transferred, they should admit it as a visiting vehicle. But I have heard in the past issues with Canadians bringing a US registered rental car into Canada (and vice versa) and so rental car companies used to try and get rental cars that are going one way to be from the other country. But not sure how they treat it today in today's modern world where everything is tracked and reported.

Bye-the-bye, I've been a stalker on this forum for at least a year, only just registered a user so I could comment on another thread, and this is my first NEW thread. I'm so thankful for this skoolie resource.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

I found this posting by someone (name is in quote I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzfreeedom View Post
Hi Janet, It means that they cannot be imported on a permanent basis. There is no problem for a US citizen to drive a US plated bus into Canada - say for a vacation etc. But the bus may NOT stay in Canada. In other words it cannot be sold to a Canadian who intends to re-plate and insure it in Canada.
Nor can a Canadian buy the bus in the US and drive it into Canada because it is illegal for a Canadian to drive a US plated vehicle into Canada unless you are IMPORTING IT. And as I have said conversion buses are NOT permitted to be imported into Canada unfortunately!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I saw somebody do something very similar a few years ago. They formed a New Mexico corporation (why NM? I don't know). He registered the bus at the mailing address of the corporation and called himself a part time employee that drove the bus in the US.

I know that he did take the bus, temporarily, into Canada a few times and he did have some rough spots doing it.

I have taken converted buses, 5th wheel trailers, passenger vehicles and smaller commercial vehicles in & out of Canada a number of times. As a rule, I avoid the process if I can. The folks at the border generally give me the impression that they would prefer that I stay home....

If you are set on the idea, I would look into forming a corporation in NM, NV or SD. I don't know which is the "popular" one right now but there is plenty of info out there.

https://www.myllc.com/which-state-to-form-llc.aspx
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Ok: disclaimer - I never said this and its not legal advice. Purely the hypothetical ramblings of a mental patient who is off his meds.

I'd form a Wyoming company and register it with the secretary of state. Why? Because the officers of a Wyoming company are NOT PUBLIC RECORD. Cost? $150 and you can do it on-line. Trivial. Then I'd make the bus an asset of that company, register it and insure it in the name of the company and hire you as an employee.

Talk to a canadian attorney about getting the Canadian version of a DBA. Register the DBA using the Wyoming company as the general partner. Now you have a Wyoming-based company with legit business interests in Canada. All nice and legal. Assets of the Wyoming parent company can go cross-border the same as any other asset on a temporary basis. No, they can not remain there, but this gets you around the obstacle and is basically legit.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #7

I can't speak of BC public insurance, because I live in Ontario. But importing ANY motor vehicles from US into Canada is piece of cake. I am looking to import a shorty E450 Blue Bird from Utah. All I need is a letter from Ford and Blue Bird stating that there's no outstanding recalls on the bus.

If registering the bus in the US is possible, I would do it because of insurance, as insurance cost in any provinces in Canada are insanely high IF you can get it at all!

Tags
border, canada, crossing the border