Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: RE Pusher
Engine: 3208T Cat
Rated Cap: 75
CDL Drivers License

I'm a bit confused on what type of license I need to drive my skoolie.

I have a Thomas RE pusher 3208T Cat with a GVWR 36,000.

It seems the Federal DOT requires CLASS A CDL for anything with GVWR over 26,000 lbs. I'm pretty sure this puts most of you guys into that category, however I have yet to find one post on skoolie.net related to this topic.

I will also be pulling a 7x16 enclosed trailer with double axles rated at 5,000 lbs so i'm estimating the assumed GVWR is 10,000. My build out plans will keep the tailer between 5000-7000 lbs.

The DOT consideration says you need CLASS A if pulling a trailer with GVWR over 10,000 lbs. Well, my trailer even though not marked with GVWR i'm assuming is = (not over) 10,000 lbs solely because of the 5,000 lb double axles. On the phone the DOT said = or over 10,000 lbs. but the law clearly says over. Are we splitting hairs? anyway...my actual fully loaded weight will definately be way under 10,000 lbs. I realize from DOT point of view they don't care actual...so it seems.

So based on the conversation with DOT...they go on the mfg GVWR etched into the plate. (trailer has no plate or mfg name on it).

One other thing...the DOT said that if the vechicle was originally designed to carry more than 16 passengers...you need to add that passenger endorsement. Anyone else heard this?

I'm going full time skoolie for 12 months and will be hitting most states if not all in that time frame so I want to be coveraged if i get pulled over.

So sound off...what type of driver license certifications to you have and what issues have you had with any police or DOT weight stations, etc.

mfrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: CDL Drivers License

UPDATE:
I checked a couple of local trailer dealers websites and called one...seems they call them 10,000 lb category but mfg actually rates them GVWR 9,990 lbs to avoid the CLASS A requirement. Nice. Even though I have 5k axles...GWVR is only 9,990 lbs.

So...only question now is...what is required for GVWR 36,000. Seems i'll only need CLASS B with Air brakes.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Bus Nut

this thread has a lot of information about CDL.

Basically, if you intend to use your vehicle for commercial purposes, and it falls into the scope of a commercial vehicle, then you are required to have a CDL.

If your vehicle is for private use only, and not for hire, then you generally don't have to have a CDL. Some states do requires a special license class that is either the CDL or a non commercial equivalent. You will have to check your state's specific laws concerning commercial vehicles and what is exempt from being classified as commercial.

For virginia, as an example, you have to look in the code section dealing with commercial vehicles, and the definition of commercial vehicles, to learn that there are exemptions. Specifically: operation of a vehicle for personal use only, such as a recreational vehicle or truck to move your personal belongings, operation of a fire truck or other emergency vehicle, operation of a farm vehicle that meets the requirements of a farm vehicle, Operation of a vehicle for military purposes while the operator is on active duty carrier.

this link contains a very basic definition of a commercial vehicle, which will pretty much be the same across the country.

I have a thomas rear engine pusher with 3208, GVWR of 33,280. It has air brakes, and currently can sit 4 people including the driver. It is titled and registered as a motorhome. I drive it with the same license class I've had since I turned 16. I'm also 100% legal that way. I carry liability insurance via GMAC, and pay the tax and tag fees each year. I can get in it at any time and go joy riding if I want (assuming my wallet can stand the fuel hit).

When I bought the bus, it was titled as a "housecar" in NC, which is the same as a motorhome. I paid VA for a temporary trip permit, and printed that out and put it in the back window. I drove from NC to GA, spent the weekend, then drove from GA to VA, and the cops never gave it a second look that I noticed.

Here in VA, you could drive that bus (privately registered), towing that trailer (privately registered), and not need a CDL. In fact, the trailer can exceed 10,000 pounds quite easily, and still not need a CDL. Assuming of course, that there was no commerce involved. As soon as commerce is involved, it becomes commercial, which brings in the federal requirements for a CDL.

I hope this helps,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

26,0001 lbs and up straight truck is a class B, anything below this weight, airbrakes or not, does not require a CDL in most states. If its a bus you need a B with passenger, if it has air brakes and is over the 26,000lb mark you also need an air brake endorsement. If you take a B truck and tow a trailer 10k+ lbs than you need an A. If it is registered as an RV you typically dont have to worry about any of this but some states have special non commercial licenses that you would need. Your biggest concern would be how you register it since that will determine what license you need. You cant take your companies dump truck on the weekend to bring dirt to your house without a CDL even though at that moment you are using it privately.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

thanks...good clarification. and when you say 26,001lbs...your referring to actual weight or mfg stated GVWR? I presume mfg stated GVWR.

Marc
Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

GVWR
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #7

CDL based on seats?

I'm looking at shorties, so for me, the number of passengers come into play in regards to a CDL. Is the passenger number based on the number of seats on the bus at the time of purchase? Or based on a manufacturer standard given to the bus?

I ask because I'm wondering if I could avoid an unnecessary CDL by removing a seat or two before driving it home.
laroo0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #8

Me too

So confusing. I am trying to figure out the same.
VBanaszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
In Utah I was told keep the actual weight under 26k, and I'm good with a regular DL. My bus has GVRW of 33 though, and airbrakes.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
TECHNICALLY most of the busses people are driving home from purchase require a CDL to drive.. though yellow school bussesi n full paint rarely attract any attention as they blend ion with all the real yellow school busses so DOT doesnt bother them..

now, if you are talking what you plan to do with your bus on a daily basis.. (ie one of mine is still fully a bus.. no conversion goingto take place).. then the number of passengers comes into play.. and this varies by STATE..

for instance in michigan the CAPACITY of a bus is designated by the PLACARD inside the bus... even if you take all the seats out.. (if you convert the title and registration to motorhome no CDL required)..

in OHIO the CAPACITY of a bus is designated by the FITTED seating.. in other words how many seats do you have.. if your bus has belts they will go on belted capacity.. since you paint it non school colors and remove school equipmemnt you can use ADULT seating capacity as opposed to child.. so in essence each seat can have 1 belt and be 1 person.. thats how I have my RedByrd.. it is belted for 13 + ME. which is in the 15 and under. and its GVWR is less than 26k. so no CDL required or DOT number required as long as im not using it for business..

each state is different.. and most people are technically are driving their busses home illegally right after purchase and before conversion to motorhom.. I havent heard anyone yet going to Jail..

once you convert to a motorhome, then you re-title as a motorhome.. and most states dont require anything more than a standard operators license.. though I think a couple you need some type of RV license if your RV is registered in that state...

check with your home state for its laws.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
What Chris said. Re-title as an RV/motorhome and a standard DL is all you need. The only exception I know of is that in Canada, you need a special certification for air brakes...no matter the size.

Anyone else?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I'll keep my CDL current but with the new regulations requiring your medical card to be tied to your CDL, I don't know how legal it will be. Still pretty cool to see Commercial Driver's License on that plastic card.
Motrukdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
What Chris said. Re-title as an RV/motorhome and a standard DL is all you need. The only exception I know of is that in Canada, you need a special certification for air brakes...no matter the size.

Anyone else?
In Ca under 40ft reg class c ok over 40ft class B endorsement. Mines 38ft with air brakes & when I asked the CHP officer that verified my paper work he said as long as it's under 40 ft I'm ok with normal Class C.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
In North Carolina so far for me?
I am still registered and insured as a bus with a commercial for private use policy.
I only have a standard license up to 26,001 with no endorsements.
A friend of mine has a dump truck business and has to go through the whole air brake rigamerough? He ain't happy about the oversight but for now it's not a problem for me? I am kinda hesitant about talking to my insurance company about changing to rv insurance for fear of them wanting to jack up the price.
14$ a month for liability is fine with me cause I know that I will never recoup the money/time I have invested if/when there is an accident even if I had full coverage? For full coverage you pay for your estimated value which in turn jacks up your monthly insurance and your property tax value.
Keep it low,slow, and as safe as you can.
My bus gets a full DOT inspection every year cause the only garage I can even get to look at it only does Big truck inspections. It cost a little more but the mechanics let me go through it with them and say you need to look at this or for next year I would like to see this taken care of. No fails just take care of this. 15$ for an inspection I would have to take the day off of work for to find someone to do it? Or 55$ to drop it off and get a full DOT when they can and a no fail but you need to look/take care of. And if I have a question? They are more than willing to go put a finger on the part,piece or whatever went on there paperwork.
Worth the little bit of extra money to me and some piece of mind.
Safety wise I like having the inspection done by a garage that knows nothing but big rigs. For me it is a 24-7 service call company that fixes whatever/whenever on the side of the road. So if a mechanic gets an inspection he is allotted an hour to do an inspection. I was there for three of them so the mechanics Reports were clean. I dropped it off for 2016 and I had a mechanics note that said passed but your carrier bearings are starting to dry rot. I questioned that cause I didn't know where the carrier bearing was? But when they showed me I said I always called them a mid-shift bearing? Either way those/they are what supports the drive shaft on its way from the tranny to the rear end.
Good luck
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
It cost a little more but the mechanics let me go through it with them...
Quote:
I was there for three of them so the mechanics Reports were clean.
You have done business with some good mechanics. Most places I know forbid customers from watching them for "insurance purposes." For some reason, that line always comes off like a copout. Yeah, I understand that nobody likes having someone look over their shoulder, but that's my baby in there, and you're a total stranger...
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #16

Quote:
I am kinda hesitant about talking to my insurance company about changing to rv insurance for fear of them wanting to jack up the price.

14$ a month for liability is fine with me cause I know that I will never recoup the money/time I have invested if/when there is an accident even if I had full coverage? For full coverage you pay for your estimated value which in turn jacks up your monthly insurance and your property tax value.
I was just talking to someone who has full coverage on their skoolie, registered as an RV, insured for $30k, only $100/mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
laroo0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Anyone else?
I asked NJ MVC if I needed an air endorsement for a "Class-A RV" with a regular DL, and was told that I did not.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #18
Skoolie

CDL = COMMERCIAL drivers license.
If you're not doing it for money then you should be fine - same applies to teh DOT numbers you see on commercial vehicles - you don't need that either.

BUT you best be registered as an RV just to be on teh safe side.

As to CDL - class A means you pull a trailer in excess of 10,000 lbs. AKA, tractor trailer.
Class B is a vehicle over 26,001 lbs and trailers under 10,000 lbs.
If you have air brakes you need an endorsement for that (aka test).

There are many other endorsements as well - passenger, school bus, hazmat, tanker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrederick View Post
I'm a bit confused on what type of license I need to drive my skoolie.

I have a Thomas RE pusher 3208T Cat with a GVWR 36,000.

It seems the Federal DOT requires CLASS A CDL for anything with GVWR over 26,000 lbs. I'm pretty sure this puts most of you guys into that category, however I have yet to find one post on skoolie.net related to this topic.

I will also be pulling a 7x16 enclosed trailer with double axles rated at 5,000 lbs so i'm estimating the assumed GVWR is 10,000. My build out plans will keep the tailer between 5000-7000 lbs.

The DOT consideration says you need CLASS A if pulling a trailer with GVWR over 10,000 lbs. Well, my trailer even though not marked with GVWR i'm assuming is = (not over) 10,000 lbs solely because of the 5,000 lb double axles. On the phone the DOT said = or over 10,000 lbs. but the law clearly says over. Are we splitting hairs? anyway...my actual fully loaded weight will definately be way under 10,000 lbs. I realize from DOT point of view they don't care actual...so it seems.

So based on the conversation with DOT...they go on the mfg GVWR etched into the plate. (trailer has no plate or mfg name on it).

One other thing...the DOT said that if the vechicle was originally designed to carry more than 16 passengers...you need to add that passenger endorsement. Anyone else heard this?

I'm going full time skoolie for 12 months and will be hitting most states if not all in that time frame so I want to be coveraged if i get pulled over.

So sound off...what type of driver license certifications to you have and what issues have you had with any police or DOT weight stations, etc.
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #19
Skoolie

If you don't drive commercially for 5+ years you make find they'll yank your CDL.
Seems to be the new thing - among many others, like the medical card, showing your birth certificate to renew (really? showed it to get the license..birth certificates don't change...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motrukdriver View Post
I'll keep my CDL current but with the new regulations requiring your medical card to be tied to your CDL, I don't know how legal it will be. Still pretty cool to see Commercial Driver's License on that plastic card.
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote