Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Am I missing something?
HA!! I think the only thing you missed Steve was my wink and smiley at the bottom of that post.

I was just trying to make light of what seems like a simple topic that folks like to complicate (mostly by stating what the rules are where THEY reside and not where the OP resides - or what they think the rules are).

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahibbert View Post
There is no exemption for commercial vehicle . Once you convert this bus to a RV / motor home It is no longer a commercial vehicle . I live in Ohio and it is exactly that way.

re-read the ohio law.. CDL is only required if you are using the vehicle for Commerce or for hire... or as a school / Church...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
HA!! I think the only thing you missed Steve was my wink and smiley at the bottom of that post.

I was just trying to make light of what seems like a simple topic that folks like to complicate (mostly by stating what the rules are where THEY reside and not where the OP resides - or what they think the rules are).
Ok... Just a little slow sometimes
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #24

Does a bus have to be registered as an RV for this to apply?

Will I need a CDL or air brake endorsement?

I'm interested in any Georgia specific info you can provide. I bought a 1986 International S1800. How should I register it, where to get insurance, etc. I just want to take all but about 2 or 4 seats out and use it to haul hay from place to place around town.
I_Love_My_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Bus View Post

I'm interested in any Georgia specific info you can provide. I bought a 1986 International S1800. How should I register it, where to get insurance, etc. I just want to take all but about 2 or 4 seats out and use it to haul hay from place to place around town.
Once seating for 16 is gone it is no longer considered a commercial vehicle. There are some restrictions for over 26k lbs. But if you look on the back of your drivers license you will see it allows you to drive "ALL recreational vehicles", regardless of brake system or weight. Insurance will be based on what it is. Some get a "commercial for private use" policy to cover it while it's being converted. Some insurance companies will not insure it until it is converted using 4 of the 6 requirements to convert. Do a search here, all your questions are being actively discussed in current threads.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:52 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Bus View Post

Since you are planning to use it as a truck to haul stuff (hay) then you would for sure come under CDL requirments. Now having said that farm products do have some exemptions. I would start with looking up code 383 of the code of federal regulations, as this is the federal law concerning CDL. Then check with your state about hauling farm products. You may be able to get a farm use tag, or possible to use it locally without any tags during daylight hours. Here in Virginia a "farm truck" can go 30 miles without any tags. It does have to be marked as such though.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
cdl isnt difficult however you have the air brake test stopping distance calculations and stuff non bad but study ! and parallel parking on drivers test if you can find a short dump truck its recommended for the road test ! its pretty easy really i have tank hazmat doubles triples i need to get a bus endorsement never know when might need a job! for a little extra cash usually you can pick up a fill in position driving school bus or town bus city bus !
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote