Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Cheapest insurance NY

Hi all,

I am living in NY out in the suburbs. I am having a real time finding affordable insurance for my almost completed conversion. There are 2 accidents on my record in the past 3 years -- 1 at fault and 1 not at fault. That being said, the rates I'm being quoted are before I even tell them that.

- AIS quoted me at 2500/yr for an RV policy.
- Progressive Commercial (for personal use) said they don't insure my area and referred me to a mom n pop outfit who told me they probably won't beat 2500/yr.
- National General flat out denied me based on my one single accident (no injuries, damage was under $1500) and then tried to "bring down the risk" by selling me a home insurance policy.

The best rate I found up until now was GMAC at $1718/yr. That's accurate with my driving history fully accounted for. I am still thinking it's high.

Am I naive to think I'll find a policy for under a thousand a year? I read all the NY threads and other than outright lying about my location I think I'm SOL.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
First you need to go to an independent insurance agent, not an insurance company. The insurance agents are not always aware of the policies for private use policies. Let them search through about 40-60 insurance companies that you never heard of for you.

Your driving record is certainly going to make an impact on insurance cost. Also if you've owned it for basically a year and didn't maintain insurance on the vehicle it may be affecting the acceptability of the bus.

Most of us have had problems with insurance at one time or another. There's a lot of threads on here concerning insurance, including in NY. Fellow NYers should chip in when they find your thread.

Good luck.