Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Blue Bird School
Engine: Detroit 8.2T Turbo Diesel
Check it out!!!

So I am back form under the radar and I think I am finally going to be able to get my bus on the road this weekend. We had it running two weeks ago. Looks like as is left is an oil change and new coolant. What does everyone recommend for insurrance? Also do you all have CDL class c's? Should be a great weekend if all goes as planned. Thank you so much for your time and any information you can provide, really, very appreciated.

KL
Attached Images

SKIBUSENTRPNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Check it out!!!

GMAC and State Farm are the two common skoolie-friendly insurance companies. I would estimate that 95% of us have our insurance through one or the other.

Most of us do not have commercial driver's licenses. They aren't required in most states for a recreational vehicle. Many states do have non-commercial Class A, B, and C licenses so check to see what is required. I can tell you this though. Commercial licenses are for commercial vehicle which something titled as a recreational vehicle is not unless you have more than 15 people, driver included. You will have to investigate for your specific locale and desired use.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

what if it hauls more than 15 as it its a school bus with all the seats still in it? I'll check the regulations and probably need to have it converted to a rv title first as it's a farm title now. Thanks for the info. I'll price quote those.

kl
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Did I recall you were planning to have paying passengers? Sharing actual costs excepted, if you have even one paying passenger here you would need a Class E license (commercial passenger car license, a.k.a. taxi or limo driver's license). Once you go over the magic number, it's a CDL with passenger endorsement. regardless of the vehicle itself.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Did I recall you were planning to have paying passengers? Sharing actual costs excepted, if you have even one paying passenger here you would need a Class E license (commercial passenger car license, a.k.a. taxi or limo driver's license). Once you go over the magic number, it's a CDL with passenger endorsement. regardless of the vehicle itself.
That will all vary by state with the one common aspect being that it will require a commercial driver's license of some sort. In Minnesota he would need a Class C to haul more than 15 people in a vehicle weighing less than 26,001 lbs. If it was registered at more than 26,001 (as a bus very well might be) he would need a Class B with passenger endorsement.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I would just ask for gas money, but not like a limo service or anything. Cept the bus hauls more than 15 but I wouldn't take more than that if I was able to not get my CDL in Washington. Thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins

Dont claim to take money from anyone... State Farms would consider it a business unless you are actually trying to run a business .... General Liability Binder/Commercial Auto Policy/Proof of Legal Business....

With state farms for example... I pay $40 per month for 4x2 B Series Bus with only 8 seats... would not cover me if all seats were left original... 8 original seats...
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I have dealt exclusively with State Farm for over 18 years, but they wanted nothing to do with my bus conversion, I called GMAC and had a done deal inside of 20 minutes. One note about GMAC, the agents can't write the policy, you have to call GMAC directly... 800-325-1190...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
...Do YOU trust Congress to run ANYTHING???
Oh yes, implicitly, EVERYTHING!

(...I implicitly trust them to run EVERYTHING into the ground, LOL!!!)
Old 05-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Bus Geek

G OVERNMENT
M otors
A cceptance
C orporation

lol

"Government Motors" was the front page of the newspaper here the other day....

i live in the great state of michigan. it sure is exciting living in a place that until a few years ago had a very high standard of living, and now has double digit unemployment figures. Oakland county (suburb of detroit) was the 2nd wealthiest county in america. The bad economy sucks for a lot of people, but has actually been good for me so far. I bought a $150K house for $34 thousand dollars and so far i still have a job..... and a bus.