Old 06-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
When I got my first bus back in 03 I thought I'd be covered for the ride home.
Got in a fender bender and found out the hard way I WASN'T.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post
Sorry Jake, I was just sharing what happened with my case; in my laziness I probably should have left a disclaimer with my statement
No worries as I think we all understand we only speak from personal experience and there's no real Authority with many of these answers. I simply did not want to be perceived as being argumentative.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
if you bought an rv off of ebay and had to travel to get it, your primary insurance should have blanket coverage for a week or 2 from the date of the bill of sale. commons sense prevails unless you twist the sheets up yourself.

its an "rv". it might be a "soon to be rv". going commercial just means you said the word "bus" to the wrong person.

unless your drunk or in an accident, a chat with the authorities to explain your situation is just foolhardy.

you wont get a ticket for speeding in a skoolie.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
if you bought an rv off of ebay and had to travel to get it, your primary insurance should have blanket coverage for a week or 2 from the date of the bill of sale. commons sense prevails unless you twist the sheets up yourself.

its an "rv". it might be a "soon to be rv". going commercial just means you said the word "bus" to the wrong person.

unless your drunk or in an accident, a chat with the authorities to explain your situation is just foolhardy.

The VIN says "bus". Then they ask "was this a school bus?"
Old 06-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SafTLiner
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
See my thread. Kentucky only issues temp tags in ONE office in the ENTIRE state. In Frankfort.
lol...all the more reason that option is OUT...
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SafTLiner
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post

I agree with you here...I mean, it is often people only find the problem if you hand them enough info to do so. That said, the VIN will certainly reveal a "bus", so I'd think I'd respond...not since I've owned it, what a prior owner did with it isnt' for me to say...I bought a motorhome. Each employee of a company is different though...just gotta use every tactic there is.

As a guy who's fought my own cases in various levels of court, against several different tiers of govt, and won repeatedly, I don't offer information...it's on them to gather it. I don't expect to be pulled over speeding for certain, but a lack of registration could initiate a stop. Also, god forbid a situation like EastCoastCB had...bendin up the bus...that ain't good...
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
I agree with you here...I mean, it is often people only find the problem if you hand them enough info to do so. That said, the VIN will certainly reveal a "bus", so I'd think I'd respond...not since I've owned it, what a prior owner did with it isnt' for me to say...I bought a motorhome. Each employee of a company is different though...just gotta use every tactic there is.

As a guy who's fought my own cases in various levels of court, against several different tiers of govt, and won repeatedly, I don't offer information...it's on them to gather it. I don't expect to be pulled over speeding for certain, but a lack of registration could initiate a stop. Also, god forbid a situation like EastCoastCB had...bendin up the bus...that ain't good...
My bus didn't even get a ding, but the "collectible" 1980's LandCruiser ended up with a damaged fender. The guy insisted on it being done with NOS parts and after a lawsuit I paid out nearly 5 grand. Stupid Toyota wasn't even worth that amount.
Insurance is a joke. I only buy it to be legal.

FWIW no one uses temp tags in KY and I came home with my proof of valid insurance and the title. 800 miles home.
Had a buddy follow me back in my car.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Or maybe wire the dough, have the seller mail you the title, and retitle it in your name in your home state and make your way to pick it up with new tags in hand. In VA (telling you this to illustrate the possibility, not because it's applicable per se) you can title it in your name with no trouble at all: the trick is getting insurance on it if it is a 'bus for private use'.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Or maybe wire the dough, have the seller mail you the title, and retitle it in your name in your home state and make your way to pick it up with new tags in hand. In VA (telling you this to illustrate the possibility, not because it's applicable per se) you can title it in your name with no trouble at all: the trick is getting insurance on it if it is a 'bus for private use'.
THat would be the best way to go. When I bought my bus they simply wouldn't send my title in the mail. They were too afraid it would get lost.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
THat would be the best way to go. When I bought my bus they simply wouldn't send my title in the mail. They were too afraid it would get lost.
There are ways to deal with that: you can get a duplicate for five ten bucks if the original is lost. I don't want to talk about how I know this.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote