Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450 #Vanlife
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 25
Driving bus back home from purchase site...insurance, tag, not possible...

Do most attempt to insure this as a bus to get it home? I find it likely that will be an uphill battle, requiring commercial insurance, class b license, etc. Plus, then you've insured something that will sit for a substantial amount of time upon arrival.

I'm assuming many just jump on the highway and go for the gold?? Some loophole methods people have discovered?

I'm all ears...errr eyes...

RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi,

Good questions.

I got the trip permit and drove it where i parked it. My plan is to take a little time to see if i will even be traveling before i go through with all the title and insurance stuff.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
Two Progressive customer service agents informed me that I have a 30 day grace period on adding a new vehicle to my policy. Talk to your insurance company for sure.
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Not to be argumentative with mightymainermite, but I'd not just take that advice as assurance that you'd actually be insured if by the odd coincidence you are involved in an accident on the maiden trip home. The reason is that while consumer personal vehicle insurance policies can afford blanket coverage in a newly purchased car, rental car or what-have-you, the key variable is that it's a car. Now maybe Progressive is, well, more progressive than my experience with other insurers but like when I called my State Farm agent they said that blanket coverage does not extend to commercial vehicles, which includes a bus, a large rental truck, or the like. Now I will say that when I talked to AIS and got my 'commercial vehicle of personal use' policy it was being underwritten by Progressive Commercial so it is entirely possible that Progressive has a more laid back attitude towards what their blanket policy will cover.

Regarding commercial driver's license endorsement, well we've debated this one to death here on the forum. If you do get pulled over on the trip home and you know how to talk to LEOs then chances are good you'll have no trouble. The important thing to remember is that it is a commercial vehicle by all accounts but if you have your bill of sale made out to you as a private individual and not sold to your DBA, and that temporary insurance card is for a commercial vehicle for personal use, then at least it demonstrates that you took all the right steps to getting your bus-to-rv home legally and are not just trying to operate a commercial vehicle without the proper credentials. I'd also go a step further and tape signs in one window each side and rear that reads IN TRANSIT, NOT FOR HIRE just to be safe.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:29 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I ended up with Progressive Commercial; all I needed was a VIN. And a temp tag, all I needed was insurance and a bill of sale. Had both done in under an hour. YMMV.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Skoolie

Temp Tags are a state to state variable. Not all states issue them. So, getting a temp isn't a given. It does appear that Kentucky issues them, but it's going to have to be something I do POST pickup, as once I get to KY I won't have transportation to move about freely.

As with the policy I stated earlier, it's unfortunate to insure something for a day, as a commercial vehicle, only to get it home to have it sit for 4-6 months during conversion.

Most of my reading here, it essentially seems like Progressive is the only insurer that consistently will do the bus policy. I just hate to initiate a policy that costs a substantial amount, only to utilize it for one day...9 hours essentially.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
Temp Tags are a state to state variable. Not all states issue them. So, getting a temp isn't a given. It does appear that Kentucky issues them, but it's going to have to be something I do POST pickup, as once I get to KY I won't have transportation to move about freely.

As with the policy I stated earlier, it's unfortunate to insure something for a day, as a commercial vehicle, only to get it home to have it sit for 4-6 months during conversion.

Most of my reading here, it essentially seems like Progressive is the only insurer that consistently will do the bus policy. I just hate to initiate a policy that costs a substantial amount, only to utilize it for one day...9 hours essentially.
call your ciurremnt insurer and explain exactly what you are doing and see iof they will cover you for the single event. I dont know about your home state but I know in OHIO.. that if you Register a vehicle with any type of tag on it that it MUST be insured regardless of whether you actually drive it or not.. the state can send you a letter that says "show your proof" and you must comply or you will lose your driver license and be required to carry SR-21 for 5 years on all your vehicles.. when you get a temp tag that vehicle is registered in the state you pick it up from.. so that state governments rules apply when it comes to insurance as far as driving it or not..

to me it was well wiorth the $500 to pay for full coverage progressive commercial in case something went wrong.. you can also get state minimums and liability only and my guess even cancel it after a month or so.. (whatever your state rukles are as far as insurance).. some states if you own a vehicle it must have insurnace.. some its if its tagged.. each one is different..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

See my thread. Kentucky only issues temp tags in ONE office in the ENTIRE state. In Frankfort.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Mid Bus, Inc Ohio
Chassis: GMC Savanna 3500
Engine: 5.7 Vortec, GMC
Rated Cap: 22
I had an Allstate agent/notary public issue a 30 day PA tag to get my bus back to VA. All I showed him was my driver's license and my current insurance coverage on my van.
Paid $50 and was on my way down I 81....
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Not to be argumentative with mightymainermite, but I'd not just take that advice as assurance that you'd actually be insured if by the odd coincidence you are involved in an accident on the maiden trip home. The reason is that while consumer personal vehicle insurance policies can afford blanket coverage in a newly purchased car, rental car or what-have-you, the key variable is that it's a car. Now maybe Progressive is, well, more progressive than my experience with other insurers but like when I called my State Farm agent they said that blanket coverage does not extend to commercial vehicles, which includes a bus, a large rental truck, or the like. Now I will say that when I talked to AIS and got my 'commercial vehicle of personal use' policy it was being underwritten by Progressive Commercial so it is entirely possible that Progressive has a more laid back attitude towards what their blanket policy will cover.

Regarding commercial driver's license endorsement, well we've debated this one to death here on the forum. If you do get pulled over on the trip home and you know how to talk to LEOs then chances are good you'll have no trouble. The important thing to remember is that it is a commercial vehicle by all accounts but if you have your bill of sale made out to you as a private individual and not sold to your DBA, and that temporary insurance card is for a commercial vehicle for personal use, then at least it demonstrates that you took all the right steps to getting your bus-to-rv home legally and are not just trying to operate a commercial vehicle without the proper credentials. I'd also go a step further and tape signs in one window each side and rear that reads IN TRANSIT, NOT FOR HIRE just to be safe.
Sorry Jake, I was just sharing what happened with my case; in my laziness I probably should have left a disclaimer with my statement
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Bus Geek

When I got my first bus back in 03 I thought I'd be covered for the ride home.
Got in a fender bender and found out the hard way I WASN'T.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post
Sorry Jake, I was just sharing what happened with my case; in my laziness I probably should have left a disclaimer with my statement
No worries as I think we all understand we only speak from personal experience and there's no real Authority with many of these answers. I simply did not want to be perceived as being argumentative.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if you bought an rv off of ebay and had to travel to get it, your primary insurance should have blanket coverage for a week or 2 from the date of the bill of sale. commons sense prevails unless you twist the sheets up yourself.

its an "rv". it might be a "soon to be rv". going commercial just means you said the word "bus" to the wrong person.

unless your drunk or in an accident, a chat with the authorities to explain your situation is just foolhardy.

you wont get a ticket for speeding in a skoolie.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
if you bought an rv off of ebay and had to travel to get it, your primary insurance should have blanket coverage for a week or 2 from the date of the bill of sale. commons sense prevails unless you twist the sheets up yourself.

its an "rv". it might be a "soon to be rv". going commercial just means you said the word "bus" to the wrong person.

unless your drunk or in an accident, a chat with the authorities to explain your situation is just foolhardy.

The VIN says "bus". Then they ask "was this a school bus?"
Old 06-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
See my thread. Kentucky only issues temp tags in ONE office in the ENTIRE state. In Frankfort.
lol...all the more reason that option is OUT...
Old 06-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post

I agree with you here...I mean, it is often people only find the problem if you hand them enough info to do so. That said, the VIN will certainly reveal a "bus", so I'd think I'd respond...not since I've owned it, what a prior owner did with it isnt' for me to say...I bought a motorhome. Each employee of a company is different though...just gotta use every tactic there is.

As a guy who's fought my own cases in various levels of court, against several different tiers of govt, and won repeatedly, I don't offer information...it's on them to gather it. I don't expect to be pulled over speeding for certain, but a lack of registration could initiate a stop. Also, god forbid a situation like EastCoastCB had...bendin up the bus...that ain't good...
Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
I agree with you here...I mean, it is often people only find the problem if you hand them enough info to do so. That said, the VIN will certainly reveal a "bus", so I'd think I'd respond...not since I've owned it, what a prior owner did with it isnt' for me to say...I bought a motorhome. Each employee of a company is different though...just gotta use every tactic there is.

As a guy who's fought my own cases in various levels of court, against several different tiers of govt, and won repeatedly, I don't offer information...it's on them to gather it. I don't expect to be pulled over speeding for certain, but a lack of registration could initiate a stop. Also, god forbid a situation like EastCoastCB had...bendin up the bus...that ain't good...
My bus didn't even get a ding, but the "collectible" 1980's LandCruiser ended up with a damaged fender. The guy insisted on it being done with NOS parts and after a lawsuit I paid out nearly 5 grand. Stupid Toyota wasn't even worth that amount.
Insurance is a joke. I only buy it to be legal.

FWIW no one uses temp tags in KY and I came home with my proof of valid insurance and the title. 800 miles home.
Had a buddy follow me back in my car.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Or maybe wire the dough, have the seller mail you the title, and retitle it in your name in your home state and make your way to pick it up with new tags in hand. In VA (telling you this to illustrate the possibility, not because it's applicable per se) you can title it in your name with no trouble at all: the trick is getting insurance on it if it is a 'bus for private use'.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Or maybe wire the dough, have the seller mail you the title, and retitle it in your name in your home state and make your way to pick it up with new tags in hand. In VA (telling you this to illustrate the possibility, not because it's applicable per se) you can title it in your name with no trouble at all: the trick is getting insurance on it if it is a 'bus for private use'.
THat would be the best way to go. When I bought my bus they simply wouldn't send my title in the mail. They were too afraid it would get lost.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
THat would be the best way to go. When I bought my bus they simply wouldn't send my title in the mail. They were too afraid it would get lost.
There are ways to deal with that: you can get a duplicate for five ten bucks if the original is lost. I don't want to talk about how I know this.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote