Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

https://youtu.be/4p2WMFgTcSw

This is the photographer and their skoolie.

I'd like to do something similar with logos on my bus

Old 06-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
1.2 Drivers Who Must Obtain a CDL

A CDL must be obtained by the driver of any of the following vehicles:
  • Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

So I have not found that a business use vehicle needs a CDL. Unless it meets the above criteria.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Do you do any Reiki? or other healing modality? I do have an old travel trailer similer to an Airstream set up for this. So far have only used it here at home, but it is road ready , and have thought about taking it to expos and such. Will carry a massage table in our bus, however that is more for personal use, family and friends. I wish you luck with the business.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Ask your state's DMV/MVD or whatever name they may use. This forum is NOT the definitive answer. And scale your vehicle after you've stripped the seats.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Part 383 of the Code of Federal Regulations is the federal law concerning CDL requirements. It is a long read, but may well be worth it.

Just a few notes from it: the definition of a commercial motor vehicle is,
" Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property."

So being "used to transport" does not convey used for business as in the example already given of ice cream truck, food service truck that food is served from. A food truck delivering food to the grocery store is transporting, not feeding people. See the difference? So I see the massage business as not material to CDL.

It also clearly states a school bus driver must have a cdl, even if just to test drive as a mechanic would, or transport it anywhere even without passengers. It is the ability to carry more then 15 passengers plus driver that puts it in the category of needing a CDL.

Recreational vehicles are exempt, so it would appear only after converting are we really in compliance. Although removing the seats so it could not carry more than 15 plus driver might be ok.

Ok. I am not a lawyer so have a look and see.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Part 383 of the Code of Federal Regulations is the federal law concerning CDL requirements. It is a long read, but may well be worth it.

Just a few notes from it: the definition of a commercial motor vehicle is,
" Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property."

So being "used to transport" does not convey used for business as in the example already given of ice cream truck, food service truck that food is served from. A food truck delivering food to the grocery store is transporting, not feeding people. See the difference? So I see the massage business as not material to CDL.

It also clearly states a school bus driver must have a cdl, even if just to test drive as a mechanic would, or transport it anywhere even without passengers. It is the ability to carry more then 15 passengers plus driver that puts it in the category of needing a CDL.

Recreational vehicles are exempt, so it would appear only after converting are we really in compliance. Although removing the seats so it could not carry more than 15 plus driver might be ok.

Ok. I am not a lawyer so have a look and see.
Yes, the seating capacity makes it a commercial vehicle, that's why the first thing we do is remove the seats, no longer meeting the requirements of a commercial vehicle. That's the easy part for driving it. As far as insuring it is where you have the most scrutiny on whether it meets the requirements of an RV or not. It's the insurance company in the long run that will care most if you are CDL or not, not the state.
What does it say you can drive with your standard license?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

it does not say what you can drive with a standard license. That would be by each state I believe. This is Federal law I looked up for CDL.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Do you do any Reiki? or other healing modality? I do have an old travel trailer similer to an Airstream set up for this. So far have only used it here at home, but it is road ready , and have thought about taking it to expos and such. Will carry a massage table in our bus, however that is more for personal use, family and friends. I wish you luck with the business.
I have not yet reached the part of my schooling for this but I am going to be learning the basics of this. Currently studying Energy Palpation which I believe is similar. Just finished my basics of reflexology and beginning polarity therapy.

Thank you so much for the help and especially for the direction of where to start looking. I'll certainly be looking up and reading into some of that document you mentioned.
GalaxieCosmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Ask your state's DMV/MVD or whatever name they may use. This forum is NOT the definitive answer. And scale your vehicle after you've stripped the seats.
Absolutely I will be as I move closer to buying my bus I will be getting the absolute bottom lines on all these things. Though it's been very helpful to get input from people here fellow New York state residents or not.

I honestly might just take the time after I've purchased my bus to pull the seats up and pile them in the back so that I'm below the standard of passengers before I drive it home. May just be the least hassle.
GalaxieCosmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
it does not say what you can drive with a standard license. That would be by each state I believe. This is Federal law I looked up for CDL.
It should have a classification on what you can drive printed on the back of your license saying what type vehicles you can drive. What does yours say?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Stellar advice.

Drive without proper license

Drive without proper registration

Drive without insurance.

Sound like a great bit of advice.

If you should be so unfortunate as to "hit something " it will be a life changing experience.

Myself, I am not quite that adventurous.
This topic has been discussed to death. Insurance generally covers new purchases for 30 days. I called .... mine did. Everything else is a non-issue. Name one single forum member that has been penalized for any of the points you raised WHILE ON THE INITAL DRIVE HOME. If you can't cite a single example let's move on and stop peacocking.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Driving without insurance is a big problem if you get pulled over or something happens... I'm in New York, here's what I did:

Bought bus in Indiana, insured it through a ny progressive commercial broker as a bus... drove in car to ny and registered it... when I did so I told them it was white and had less than 15 seats (no photos necessary) and I changed the gvwr to 26,000 so I didn't have to worry about cdl.

When I got home I ditched the $$$$ insurance and began the conversion... at this point I'll likely just do the Vermont RV plates thing and up the gvwr again if I think it needs it.

Drove back to Indiana and put ny plates on the bus and drove it home.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Driving Questions: CDL

Call your state highway patrol.
According to my state highway patrol in NC; I do not need a CDL as my 35' long RV is not used as a commercial vehicle to carry passengers.
My RV is a converted school bus.
I do have seatbelts in the chair and couch.
JocelynDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CSFE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 25
Bus conversion Maine

When I purchased my bus I had to get commercial insurance to drive it home. I had a Class A license. I removed enough seats and took them home in a different vehicle so I could drive it. I purchased a transport plate for $13 and the the town clerk gave me a free 5 day pass for an uninspected vehicle. The plate was good for 10 days.
The state calls my bus an RV because we can sleep, cook and go to the bathroom. The insurance companies say no way. Because I converted it. They say ONLY a certified RV conversion will be acceptable. Sooo, I buy commercial for non-commercial insurance for private use and tell them it is just a bus. Dumb huh?!