Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Driving Questions

Important related info for my questions.
I live in NY state, I'm fairly certain under no circumstances could I drive my bus home once bought without a cdl...

My questions are this...
1. Does anyone know if there is a line where though from what I can find you only need a cdl b to drive school buses perhaps some maybe because of size you need the step up cdl a??

2. How have you handled the license differences? Did you just get a license to drive the bus as is prior to any conversions etc? Is this perhaps the least hassle to just be dual licensed?

2b. I've come across info that says once converted if below certain requirements you can drive them with a regular license does this apply in NY? So would it be less hassle to not drive till after conversions?

3. perhaps this information is legally written up somewhere? Could someone direct me where to find it for my state?

GalaxieCosmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
All of your questions are actively being discussed. Use the search bar above to ask those specific questions and it will direct you to the related threads. Just start reading everything here you can. You are misinformed on most of your questions right now. Start by asking "Do I need a CDL to drive my Skoolie?"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
All of your questions are actively being discussed. Use the search bar above to ask those specific questions and it will direct you to the related threads. Just start reading everything here you can. You are misinformed on most of your questions right now. Start by asking "Do I need a CDL to drive my Skoolie?"
I haven't been finding much in way of answers via the search bar hence opening this thread. As much as that might seem redundant...

Plus most of the info I had found didnt apply specifically to the state of New York. In which to drive a school bus you do have to have at least a cdl b. (Perhaps not after conversion but idk hence the questions)

So for my state at least my questions I feel are valid. And I wasnt finding answers searching I'll continue to search as I have been but seeing as I'm talking state specifically I thought it might be helpful for my fellow New Yorkers as well as myself to ask and possibly discuss.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Most of this is Federally regulated. I used the search bar and asked "Do I need a CDL to drive my school bus i NY?"
Brought up a whole list of threads here on the subject. Try starting here:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/ne...e-13209-2.html
Old 06-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Short answer: yes, you do need a CDL to drive a school bus. But you're not driving a school bus: you're driving what USED to be a school bus, for COMPLETELY NON-COMMERCIAL uses. Non-commercial=no CDL required.

That said, if you have more than fourteen (possibly fifteen) seats you need a CDL regardless of "commercial" or "personal use, such as recreation", so be sure to rip out enough to satisfy that clause.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks DappleCreek for the responce,
I'm just finding confusion in trying to find how these things apply in the jerk state of NY with all their ridiculous rules and money making ventures...

Plus this
"Completely non commercial"
Part makes me concerned...

Do you know does it make a difference if I plan to put a "home based" business in the back???
I.e. if I had a home massage office in my house theirs regulations. But idk if my massage practice on my bus affects this.

Shifting through all the "fine print" and trying to find specifics for here isn't proving easy or simple.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
If you use the bus to make money, then a cdl and possibly more would apply i believe, but that won't be until your done. Won't need it until your actually using it to make money
Old 06-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
If you live in NY, as I do, just drive it home. I drove mine home all the way from Maryland. No plates, registration, or insurance. The cops are not exactly looking to pull over school buses. Do it overnight and you're even better off. On a side not, I drove through all the EZ Passes too. You won't have any issues if you don't hit anything.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
as the massage business is not while driving or even driving related, I would see no reason for cdl for that. This is something I would say as little as possible to the state, and just call the bus a motorhome/RV once remodeled. Use your home address for the massage business.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
as the massage business is not while driving or even driving related, I would see no reason for cdl for that. This is something I would say as little as possible to the state, and just call the bus a motorhome/RV once remodeled. Use your home address for the massage business.
What about my snocone business, my food vending truck. My t-sirts sales support truck? None of those are doing business while driving.

A vehicle may be considered a commercial vehicle if it:
  • Belongs to a company or corporation
  • Is used for business, but is in an individual's name, such as a sole proprietor
  • Is a leased vehicle and in the name of the financial institution that owns it
  • Exceeds a certain weight or class and therefore, is "classified" as commercial even though it may not be commercially used or commercially owned. A weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more is always consider commercial[2]
  • Is used to haul any hazardous material
A vehicle can be used for a business, if not exclusively, and remain privately licensed, depending on the amount of time used for business.

So according to this, yes you do........ depending on the amount of time doing business in it. Who decides that?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
If you live in NY, as I do, just drive it home. I drove mine home all the way from Maryland. No plates, registration, or insurance. The cops are not exactly looking to pull over school buses. Do it overnight and you're even better off. On a side not, I drove through all the EZ Passes too. You won't have any issues if you don't hit anything.
Stellar advice.

Drive without proper license

Drive without proper registration

Drive without insurance.

Sound like a great bit of advice.

If you should be so unfortunate as to "hit something " it will be a life changing experience.

Myself, I am not quite that adventurous.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Stellar advice.

Drive without proper license

Drive without proper registration

Drive without insurance.

Sound like a great bit of advice.

If you should be so unfortunate as to "hit something " it will be a life changing experience.

Myself, I am not quite that adventurous.
And they wonder why we have problems insuring these thing.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I'm a very by the book person because I prefer safe than sorry. Plus I will be filing taxes for my business and eventually plan to be full time living / working on my bus so the whole home address thing doesn't work. Plus I'm sure there are regulations for a home office business I just haven't gotten into that info yet as I'm still obtaining my license to practice.

These are all things that make it necessary for me to research and ask these questions this far in advance of buying and starting my skoolie project. I am grateful for all the input and will continue to search for the answers. I'll def update with the info I find as I sort it out.

I've read a lot of times the DMV issues House on Wheels registrations so I'm going to look more into that and see if that makes a difference in my plans.

Thank you all so much for the help
Old 06-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxieCosmix View Post
I'm a very by the book person because I prefer safe than sorry. Plus I will be filing taxes for my business and eventually plan to be full time living / working on my bus so the whole home address thing doesn't work. Plus I'm sure there are regulations for a home office business I just haven't gotten into that info yet as I'm still obtaining my license to practice.

These are all things that make it necessary for me to research and ask these questions this far in advance of buying and starting my skoolie project. I am grateful for all the input and will continue to search for the answers. I'll def update with the info I find as I sort it out.

I've read a lot of times the DMV issues House on Wheels registrations so I'm going to look more into that and see if that makes a difference in my plans.

Thank you all so much for the help
Ask them the difference between an RV, MH. or HoW
Old 06-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

"depending on the amount of time doing business in it" that does leave a big loophole.

Must also say that snowcones/ice cream/food trucks are very visable, massage well not really.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Ok, if full time then yes a very differant story.

By the way there is a really nice dentist office in the book "Tiny Homes on the Move" made from a skoolie.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
In texas you can get a temp tag to drive it home so you would only need insurance. Does NY have something like a like?
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
I'm sure most states have the 'trip permit' good for a few days to get your vehicle home (or through their state on your way home).

Insurance MIGHT be covered under your existing policy - but call your insurance person to make sure. I bought a policy the day before I bought the bus, myself (just needed the VIN and a credit card).

Sure, the state is over-intrusive. But that's the environment, and if I play by the rules I get happier outcomes than if I don't. Or at least I get to sleep better.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #19
Bus Geek

State of Ga. allows you to drive on the Bill Of Sale for 30 days as long as you have appropriate insurance. State Farm insures me in ANY new/used vehicle under my existing auto policy. So in Ga. I need nothing extra to purchase and get her home.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
"depending on the amount of time doing business in it" that does leave a big loophole.

Must also say that snowcones/ice cream/food trucks are very visable, massage well not really.

I can see where that would be the assumption, however I actually plan to be very visible. The types of massage work I plan to do I can actually do expos often outside of my day to day massage work (for example a massage outside where everyone can watch, its great advertising) plus i will be getting dual licensed as a yoga instructor so that will be a dual purpose for the studio on the bus.

also I was thinking of painting/ decal-in my bus with my business logos I dont know if you've seen it but theres a photography business Finny Hill Photography (I believe is the name) that is like what I mean at least advertising wise. I'll find the link to the video I watched and post it.