Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Easy title adjustment to RV in Oregon

I bought my bus on 4/20/18. In Oregon you have 30 days to go to DMV and register and file for a title. As seen in my build thread I just finished my floor. Oregon rule state, "To qualify for motor home registration, the vehicle must be designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation (permanent sleeping and cooking
facilities)."

I took my chances harnessed my inner charm and went to the DMV yesterday with all my paperwork and got registered and titled as a motor home. $261 for 2 years for a 28 foot motor home. $93 title transfer fee and $24 for the plates. $378 out the door.

Reading al these threads I was actually worried about the process. If I were to need an inspection I would have just registered it as a bus for the time being until I completed (at least meet the requirements) the build then change the title. I am glad it is over, now to concentrate on my build.

Another good note is that I bought a camper (as seen in my build thread) to cannibalize and use bits for Skoolie Doo. I do not need to do anything with the title or plate from the camper. no fees, no certificate of destruction or anything. The camper no longer exists.

next step is insurance. I have a quote from progressive and I am going to buy it today. Can't remember the price, but I will post follow up soon. I hope I don't get a letter from underwriters later saying that they won't insure me.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Old 05-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Easy title adjustment to RV in Oregon

That's very good news since it sounds like I'm finally going to be getting a bus soon. Now I'm very curious to hear what insurance is going to cost you. Thanks, and I hope your project goes smoothly.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
That's very good news since it sounds like I'm finally going to be getting a bus soon. Now I'm very curious to hear what insurance is going to cost you. Thanks, and I hope your project goes smoothly.
I thought I was almost done buying thru personal progressive, but the last page stated that I must certify that it is not a converted school bus....

I got a quote online via progressive commercial and am going to buy it soon. it is about $450 on the year for me.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks for the quick response. I was wondering if something like that might happen. You could maybe check out prudential. My friend has his bus insured through them, but as far as I know they think it's a tool truck, which it sort of is. I prefer to do things as legally as possible, so I will try state farm, which is my regular insurance company, and see what they have to say.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I was wondering if something like that might happen. You could maybe check out prudential. My friend has his bus insured through them, but as far as I know they think it's a tool truck, which it sort of is. I prefer to do things as legally as possible, so I will try state farm, which is my regular insurance company, and see what they have to say.
LOL, just got home from Mother's day festivities and logged on. Yeah, I have all my insurance through progressive so I was trying to keep it easy. perhaps when I call I can get some bundling discount or something. need Flo to hook me up

Old 05-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Yeah, I'm hoping state farm will say yes. That would be the simplest and probably the cheapest for me too.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Hello again, I'm wondering if your bus has air brakes and you have any idea what kind of hoops the Oregon DMV will want me to jump through before I can drive it legally. I hope they're not going to tell me I need a CDL.

I used to have an air brake endorsement for a while in another jurisdiction, but it lapsed years ago during a move when it became too much hassle to keep it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:31 PM   #9

Hi there! First time skoolie here and this post answered my biggest question! What needs to be inside to make it registered as an RV. I do see, however, that you did not need an inspection. Did they ask you for pictures or just take your word on it?
Thanks!
Daybreak
Daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:13 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

RV change

My DMV in Florence Oregon told me to bring it in when I titled it so they could look inside for upgrades. Have not bought bus yet, looking.
NotAClue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Hello again, I'm wondering if your bus has air brakes and you have any idea what kind of hoops the Oregon DMV will want me to jump through before I can drive it legally. I hope they're not going to tell me I need a CDL.

I used to have an air brake endorsement for a while in another jurisdiction, but it lapsed years ago during a move when it became too much hassle to keep it.
Thanks in advance.
I have hydraulic breaks...

Old 06-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
Hi there! First time skoolie here and this post answered my biggest question! What needs to be inside to make it registered as an RV. I do see, however, that you did not need an inspection. Did they ask you for pictures or just take your word on it?
Thanks!
Daybreak

Told them it has a bed and cooking unit. took me for my word

Old 06-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAClue View Post
My DMV in Florence Oregon told me to bring it in when I titled it so they could look inside for upgrades. Have not bought bus yet, looking.
Each office or even employee might do something different. I guess I was lucky. just having a PIA time trying to get insurance now. ugh

Old 06-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
Thanks!
Daybreak
There's discrepancy on the list of 6, but 4 of the 6 need to be installed in the bus to consider it an RV.
1) Food prep area with cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
2) Sleeping provisions
3)Gas or Electric refrigerator
4)Toilet facilities
5)Heat/AC with power other than the engine.
6)Potable water supply
7) Self contained

Requirements vary by state, but most allow 4 of the above list as a minimum to consider it an RV.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #15

Oregon DMV

I bought 40 ft Setra coach stripped all bit 4 rows of seats put kitchen counter with stove and sink (one piece from wrecked trailer) borrowed day bed and since it already had toilet room with sink it met all three requirements for RV insurance was progressive difficult but doable has air brakes no special requirement in oregon
mmeteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #16

what DVM did you use to register in Oregon
i have a 40 Ft skoolie

Looking for equipment
will my camp stove work, on a small budget.
wanted to find the code for the requirments for Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
I bought my bus on 4/20/18. In Oregon you have 30 days to go to DMV and register and file for a title. As seen in my build thread I just finished my floor. Oregon rule state, "To qualify for motor home registration, the vehicle must be designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation (permanent sleeping and cooking
facilities)."

I took my chances harnessed my inner charm and went to the DMV yesterday with all my paperwork and got registered and titled as a motor home. $261 for 2 years for a 28 foot motor home. $93 title transfer fee and $24 for the plates. $378 out the door.
what DMV did you use for Oregon

Reading al these threads I was actually worried about the process. If I were to need an inspection I would have just registered it as a bus for the time being until I completed (at least meet the requirements) the build then change the title. I am glad it is over, now to concentrate on my build.

Another good note is that I bought a camper (as seen in my build thread) to cannibalize and use bits for Skoolie Doo. I do not need to do anything with the title or plate from the camper. no fees, no certificate of destruction or anything. The camper no longer exists.

next step is insurance. I have a quote from progressive and I am going to buy it today. Can't remember the price, but I will post follow up soon. I hope I don't get a letter from underwriters later saying that they won't insure me.
Oregon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
You've awakened a thread that had one post a year ago and was four years old at that point. You're best to open a new message thread.
We're in Oregon and will look for your new thread.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:57 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I have posted before about title and registration as an RV in Oregon but I think this will help.

I took my "new Crown" to DMV to register it in Oregon. All but the driver's seat was already removed.

I installed a 3 burner cook stove on top of a bathroom vanity with a countertop installed on it.

I constructed and installed a queen sized bed in the rear with a mattress installed.

The DMV person measured the length, found it was 39 feet long. He inspected the inside of the bus, looked at the cookstove/vanity and the bed. He approved the modifications and registered/titled the bus.

I have been with State Farm since the mid 70s and they insured the bus.

I had the insurance before I picked up the bus in Salinas Ca.

I purchased a trip permit from the Oregon DMV to drive it home.

Back when I registered the "old Crown", I did the same thing at the Cali DMV.

Cooking facilities and sleeping facilities were required in California.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Remember in Oregon that you are going to need more than a standard drivers license if you're not converted to recreational vehicle:

Your rig is more than 26,000 GVWR
Your rig has air brakes

If you have your bus converted to an RV (on the title/registration) then it doesn't matter the GVWR or that it has air brakes.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon, registration, skoolie doo, title