Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Effect of DUI on insurance qualifications?

Greetings Skoolie members!

I would very much like to be a member of the skoolie club when my license is available again Feb 2010, but I fear that the DUI I received in Sep 2007 may hinder my chances of getting insurance. It was a no-accident incident. Does anyone have any experience with trying to get insurance post-DUI? They can be sure I learned my lesson - I never want to go through that hassle again!

What I mean to ask is - will the DUI automatically disqualify me from getting insurance as opposed to just having to pay double or triple what a person with a clean record would have to pay. I will "move" residence-wise anywhere in the continental US if it makes it easier. I am back and forth between PA / NY right now, and they both have terrible laws. From browsing this site, it seems MI is a bus-friendly state.

-m

mouse059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Effect of DUI on insurance qualifications?

New York, and probably every state with mandatory liability insurance, has an "assigned risk pool." For every so many policies they write in the state, the insurance companies have to pull a name out of the risk pool hat and issue a policy regardless. I think the State sets the risk pool premiums, so no matter what company gets your name, the rates are the same (high). When I first moved to New York, I spent some time in the pool because at that time Massachusetts wouldn't share driving histories.

You probably can only get liability, not protection against damage, but that will get you plates. Whether the companies have to take a bus, or only cars, I can't guess. Talk to an insurance agent for the exact details. You will need one to put your name into the hat when the time comes, anyway.

Whatever you do, don't hide the past. If they find out after you have an accident, they can cancel the policy retroactively based on false statements, and deny all claims.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I can relay information my agent shared with me. Recreational vehicles are mostly immune to the major factors that affect cost on other vehicle insurances. The reason is pretty simple. Insurance rates are based on actuarial data showing risk and the needs of the company to maintain a certain amount of income from premiums based on those statistics to remain profitable while being competitive. The truth of the matter is that people just don't get into accidents in their recreational vehicles so the rates are low. I was unable to get any of my discounts (multicar, good student, Steer Clear, etc), nor will my rate change with age or marital status because it already was as low as it could be and the risk factors of a young, unmarried male driver just didn't play into the equation. What I'm saying is that I'm hoping you will get lucky and you won't feel it on your RV insurance.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all for the encouraging replies!

I'll follow up when I'm all paid off on my fines and closer to license reinstatement.

-m
mouse059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

My bus insurance went up $40/yr due to a non-moving window tint ticket I had about 6 months ago. It was from my front strip being below the asi line on the windshield, no big deal. Its a scam, less competition and consolidation are creating big problems in the USA.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote