Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Finally got the Skoolie insured today in CO

With failed attempts with other brokers we did a little bit more research and called American Family Insurance

A few tips that I learned, don't just spew out information, try and give direct concise answers. SERIOUSLY refer to your Skoolie as a RV, that is what it is. If you mention bus or conversion people get a little finicky and wont give you coverage. Know the make and the model of your bus. I could be wrong in the model but my bus looks like a Carpenter Coach (I found some photos from Google), so we just told him 1995 Carpenter Coach and VIN. Don't tell them that you want to live in it full-time, they don't like that either. My girlfriend compiled a list of questions that most brokers ask and I will post them later. If they ask to come look at your RV, we pretty much told them we were out of state at the moment on business and needed to get it insured ASAP. They ran our credit and that was lifted.

WE ARE INSURED!!! WOOT!

I wish good luck to anyone who is encountering the same BS hoops we had to encounter.

Cheers

StruggleBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Congratulations!!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Try to find it legitimately first. If you have trouble then maybe use that. Farm Bureau insured us even when we were upfront about being a school bus conversion for full time living. Instead of possibly being denied when filing a claim we planned to register in South Dakota where you can have tags as "non-resident." Then we finally found some in NC.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by StruggleBus View Post
With failed attempts with other brokers we did a little bit more research and called American Family Insurance

A few tips that I learned, don't just spew out information, try and give direct concise answers. SERIOUSLY refer to your Skoolie as a RV, that is what it is. If you mention bus or conversion people get a little finicky and wont give you coverage. Know the make and the model of your bus. I could be wrong in the model but my bus looks like a Carpenter Coach (I found some photos from Google), so we just told him 1995 Carpenter Coach and VIN. Don't tell them that you want to live in it full-time, they don't like that either. My girlfriend compiled a list of questions that most brokers ask and I will post them later. If they ask to come look at your RV, we pretty much told them we were out of state at the moment on business and needed to get it insured ASAP. They ran our credit and that was lifted.

WE ARE INSURED!!! WOOT!

I wish good luck to anyone who is encountering the same BS hoops we had to encounter.

Cheers
Qiestion, how did you get the registeation changed from school.bus to RV ? Can you help us on that please ???
Mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash View Post
Qiestion, how did you get the registeation changed from school.bus to RV ? Can you help us on that please ???
That you have to ask your state Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent), because it involves reclassifying.

This is what the NJ MVC sent me when I asked-
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Special Vehicles Unit
Bus – Motor Home (RV)
Foreign – Bus – Motor Home Page 1 of 3
Foreign Title Unit (R11/09)
General Information
1) Change vehicle type on Comp System : This Procedure will be followed when the MVC-Foreign Title Unit is notified that a bus was converted to a Recreational Vehicle (RV). The regulations concerning Certificate of ownership for used motor vehicles converted into motor homes is 13:21-20.5. This transaction can be handled through the mail or in-person at the MVC central office in Trenton. If approved, this transaction will be handled in 2 steps:
2) Issue a Replacement title on the Agency V3 System
* Motor Home Vehicle Type = 05 Required Modifications
 Remove most seats from the bus : In order for the bus to be converted to an RV, the customer must make the following modifications to the vehicle:
 Remove emergency lights including the side mounted stop sign
 Repaint the exterior of the vehicle (Cannot remain any shade of yellow)
 Install a permanent bed or sleep sofa
 Install a permanent sink or bar sink (Must be in working order)
 Install a permanent stove or microwave
Bus – Motor Home (RV)
Foreign – Bus – Motor Home Page 2 of 3
Foreign Title Unit (R11/09)
Requirements
• :
Original NJ Title
o If the customer wishes to re-sell the vehicle, they must do so after the conversion, as a separate transaction. must be already in customer’s name as a Bus.
• Color photographs
o Exterior photos must completely/clearly show all 4 sides of the vehicle. of the interior and exterior after the conversion.
o Interior photos must completely/ show the bed, stove/microwave and sink.
• Pencil tracing or photograph clearly showing the complete VIN plate
• $60.00 check or money order payable to: NJMVC.
o If cash is received through the mail, immediately notify a supervisor.
No Cash (mail/ dealers)
o $85.00 is required if title is issued with a lien.
• Certified weight slip for the converted motor vehicle.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote