Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Some people call progressive directly and have good results. Most of us have found that the independent insurance agent is the way to go, and it takes the stress out of performing a search for insurance.

My flasher lights were painted over, electrical system sufficiently cut and made into a rats nest and all exterior wording had been painted over. People still treated me like a real school bus out on the road. The spare tire had been taken and other equipment and seats cannibalized by the bus barn.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Check with your current insurance company.

I am with State Farm and they automatically cover new vehicles purchased for 14 days.

When I purchased my bus I sent my agent an email saying "I am purchasing a vehicle, Vin#1234455567, and wanted to confirm that I have newly acquired vehicle coverage."

They responded "Yes, you have 14 days."

I drove home, pulled the seats and took pictures showing that the seats were gone within the 14 days and got a commercial for personal use policy.
Unfortunately, I do not have insurance personally bc I haven't had a vehicle to insure. My gf has had her van with insurance but that doesn't help me at all :/
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I just went to the Progressive site and tried to get quote for that truck.It said:
The following vehicle(s) require commercial auto coverage instead of personal auto coverage.
2002 FORD E450
Start a commercial auto quote now for your vehicle(s) or call us directly to see if this option works for you.

I was able to complete an application for a Commercial policy for Personal Use Only, with a business type as Individual/Sole Proprietor. Ended up with message to "call to complete quote.
This is exactly how far I got and then I called only to get denied. I am gonna go the insurance agent route as much as I can.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
OP, stop calling the insurance companies yourself. Get your phone book and look up a local independent insurance agent. Tell them you want a "commercial policy for private use."

Don't lie about anything to the insurance guys, but don't offer information they don't ask for either.

Specifically do not talk about conversion. If asked, for now it's just a van, which it is. In a couple years you can think about registering it as a MH/RV when you have it built that far, then at that time you'll change your insurance policy. For now the bus/van is just a truck unless you still have seats in it.

Remember; "Independent Insurance Agent" and "Commercial policy for private use" Let them do the policy search for you. Don't demand full coverage. Take the best deal they offer you.
THANK YOU!! I am gonna try this out. Only issue I am foreseeing is that the bus is a 30 passenger WITH the seats still in there. Will this be an issue at all?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #25
Bus Geek

The DMV clerk I encountered did look inside my bus. My insurance agent took several exterior photos and did not ask to see the interior. It depends on your state's rules and the clerks you encounter. If you don't like the answer you get, go somewhere else and continue searching.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The DMV clerk I encountered did look inside my bus. My insurance agent took several exterior photos and did not ask to see the interior. It depends on your state's rules and the clerks you encounter. If you don't like the answer you get, go somewhere else and continue searching.
so I called them again and this time I said that the bus will be used to transport me to my massage therapy clients as I am an LMT in FL. it worked as a regular commercial policy and now I just need to get the VIN for the exact bus I want (I am choosing from sister buses with different mileages) when I go to buy and I should be good! REEAAALLLLLYYYYY hoping this goes as smoothly as I am hoping!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Has anyone helped you choose the right kind of bus, in an effort to avoid the common pitfalls?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #28

When you do a

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thesteerefamilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #29

insurance

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thesteerefamilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
THANK YOU!! I am gonna try this out. Only issue I am foreseeing is that the bus is a 30 passenger WITH the seats still in there. Will this be an issue at all?
We kept hitting road blocks when called the companies direct.I called a local agent and told them we were converting it to a camper. They were fine with it as long as we didn't put anything in like a slide. I did have to take it to them for pictures.

In Fla it is easy to register as a RV. You just have to sign an affadavit. We made a video about our process.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #31

I run a personnel policy on my 2009 International 4300. Amsley insurance 407-892-9645. Call them and tell them it's for personal use. They have been great to me. Let me know what they say. I think they are the answer to everyone's insurance problems.

$600 for 12months on my truck.
RupertKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #32
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertKyle View Post
I run a personnel policy on my 2009 International 4300. Amsley insurance 407-892-9645. Call them and tell them it's for personal use. They have been great to me. Let me know what they say. I think they are the answer to everyone's insurance problems.

$600 for 12months on my truck.

AMSLEY INSURANCE SERVICES IS YOUR FLORIDA INSURANCE AGENCY.... so says their motto.

Insurance laws vary by State and require licensing in each State the company does biz.

President Trump is trying to end the State-line Insurance laws, IIRC. That's be great for competition, but resistance to monoplolies.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #33

Smile Florida insurance win!

We got successfully insured by progressive for less than $100/month full coverage with progressive in Florida. There weren’t any issues whatsoever. In Florida when you submit your change of body affidavit, they will change the title same day to MH (motorhome) and insurance is a breeze. Progressive has an option in their systems for “conversion”. Give them the manufacturer and model of the bus for them it’s a simple type and click process. Don’t sweat it. We changed the title got insurance and got a tag same day! It was awesome. It is also easier when you have a electronic title. No need to print a new title. Good luck to all. Although luck is not needed.
Cjvincent93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Did you use the online form?
If so- do they still have the fine print part that says "we do not insure converted school buses"?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, florida, insurance