Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Hot dang, there's a lot of you folks down in FL.
Yeah, its fairly easy to do the school bus thing here. The only thing that sucks are our buses AND their prices!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
FL has been a long time hippie choice. It's easily more comfortable temperature wise than up north. There's seafood and stuff to eat. Maybe some monkey meat, fruit and the occasional alligator for fibre. But it's sinking.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Quote:
FL has been a long time hippie choice. It's easily more comfortable temperature wise than up north. There's seafood and stuff to eat. Maybe some monkey meat, fruit and the occasional alligator for fibre. But it's sinking.
They just tell yall its sinking so we don't get even MORE folks moving here!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #64
Bus Geek

There's an awful lot of people moving from the east coast to the west coast too. It's a different atmosphere here socially, not to mention less humid. Besides, we have nice buses.

You've probably looked at those future maps showing flooding. Actually most of Oregon gets covered with water if those maps are true. Funny how those soothsayers never give dates.

That's why I'm building the floating bus. I need a conning tower and periscope.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Quote:
There's an awful lot of people moving from the east coast to the west coast too. It's a different atmosphere here socially, not to mention less humid. Besides, we have nice buses.

You've probably looked at those future maps showing flooding. Actually most of Oregon gets covered with water if those maps are true. Funny how those soothsayers never give dates.

Even if the ocean levels rise a hundred feet, I'm still ok this far inland, and my property value will likely quadruple!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #66
Bus Geek

If you plan it right you should be able to end up with new beachfront property.

My place could end up being part of a dam reservour, or in my case a damn reservour. It's to feed water to the Willamette Valley. For the greater good.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36 adults
If you need insurance, we had luck with Good Sam. Here is the agent's email.

Bethany.Chan@ngic.com

She was very helpful. We did have to supply photos of the bus, outside & inside. We got RV insurance, just liability, for $785 a year.
Not the cheapest I've seen but we could afford it and were happy to get it on the road.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #68
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
Quote:

i seriously want to build a barge that is large enough to grow a garden and drive the bus on as well and spend a year or so on the mississippi river
#bushouseboatcabin
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Build a barge? It would be much easier to buy an old barge, kind of like buying an old bus instead of building one from scratch.

I also had a fantasy about having a house on a barge with a garden and yard many years ago. I'm actually not very nautical minded.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #70
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
Quote:
Build a barge? It would be much easier to buy an old barge, kind of like buying an old bus instead of building one from scratch.

I also had a fantasy about having a house on a barge with a garden and yard many years ago. I'm actually not very nautical minded.
i love building things but buying it is also a great idea i am not nautical minded at all but figure that from chi town to nola on the mississippi cant be to difficult
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtunderwood View Post
So I just got back from the Orange County Tax Office in Downtown Orlando (on Jackson). I worked with Raymond for half an hour. He was confused at first but went out of his way to lookup the appropriate info in DMV forms TL-13 and TL-10 when I brought them up. So, if you're in Orlando, we have someone here that knows his stuff now. He actually said he was glad to learn how to do something new and different! The only thing I was missing was a weight slip. I was issued a 10 day temporary tag though which means I CAN FINALLY DRIVE MY BUS HOME!!!

So, here is what you should bring.

• Vin/Odometer Verification Form (notarized)
    Title
    Proof of Insurance
    Conversion Affidavit
    Drivers License
    Weight Slip
    Patience (optional but recommended)
    $$$
Helpful links:
TL-10 http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF
TL-13 http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-13.PDF
VIN and ODO verification http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/82042.pdf
Weight Slip Affidavit http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82105.pdf
Conversion Affidavit - There is sample wording in TL-13 page 5

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. Who did you go through for your insurance if you dont mind me asking?

Julius
Julius826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas Vista 7window
Chassis: 3600
I am finding out quickly that this is a pain. I tried my local agent and they cant get a commercial for private use policy in Florida. I tried Chars number. She doesnt work there anymore but I left them my info, and a fellow named Mike is supposed to get back with me.
capt.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas Vista 7window
Chassis: 3600
I got his name wrong but Mark got me a quote for $295 a year! It's only good for a 100 mile radius but thats fine until I finish the conversion. Hopefully getting my title and tag tomorrow.
capt.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Additional note: If you own an old Florida tag, you can save over $200 by using it on your RV. I did not know this, but overheard something about it on my first visit. I took an old plate from a van that I sold back in 2008 off my garage wall and, sure enough, they gave me a credit for it. Who knew?

Ah, that's what I wanted to see. Would an old car plate work also, do you know? An obsolete plate?

Actually for our last out-of-state car we were unable to find an old plate but the DMV person was able to give us a good discount anyway because of our status in the system. Not sure what that status was, but we had many vehicles previously registered in Florida.
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiW View Post
Ah, that's what I wanted to see. Would an old car plate work also, do you know? An obsolete plate?

Actually for our last out-of-state car we were unable to find an old plate but the DMV person was able to give us a good discount anyway because of our status in the system. Not sure what that status was, but we had many vehicles previously registered in Florida.
When you don't need a plate anymore you turn it in within a set amount of time for a "tag credit". Can't use old obsolete plates. Wish I could I've got pile of em!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #76
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, that's the new rule. But I think they can look up your old vehicles and possibly transfer over an old tag or create a replacement tag (with new number) for pre-existing tag.

Anyway, if this might apply to anyone registering in Florida, talk to the DMV and see what they can do for you. It never hurts to ask. Usually.
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtunderwood View Post
So I just got back from the Orange County Tax Office in Downtown Orlando (on Jackson). I worked with Raymond for half an hour. He was confused at first but went out of his way to lookup the appropriate info in DMV forms TL-13 and TL-10 when I brought them up. So, if you're in Orlando, we have someone here that knows his stuff now. He actually said he was glad to learn how to do something new and different! The only thing I was missing was a weight slip. I was issued a 10 day temporary tag though which means I CAN FINALLY DRIVE MY BUS HOME!!!

So, here is what you should bring.
  • Vin/Odometer Verification Form (notarized)
    Title
    Proof of Insurance
    Conversion Affidavit
    Drivers License
    Weight Slip
    Patience (optional but recommended)
    $$$

Helpful links:
TL-10 http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF
TL-13 http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-13.PDF
VIN and ODO verification http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/82042.pdf
Weight Slip Affidavit http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82105.pdf
Conversion Affidavit - There is sample wording in TL-13 page 5

Hope this helps!

I just spoke with the Lee County Tax Collector's office and she told me that they cannot register an unconverted school bus as an RV until it has been fully converted and inspected by the "Palmetto Inspection Branch".

With that said, in order for me to get a temporary registration to go to Mississippi to pick up my bus, she said I needed the following:
1) Title
2) Driver's License/ID
3) Florida Insurance Policy with the VIN for the bus on it. She said they didn't require a specific type (Commercial, RV, etc), that all they need is something with the VIN on it.
4) Notarized VIN verification http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/82042.pdf
5) Weight Certification http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82105.pdf

Once the bus is fully converted, they can inspect it and then issue an RV designated title and registration.
brandonsellsflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:11 AM   #78
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
That is interesting ... registration and titling in Florida does not require inspection but registering it as an RV does? Something is amiss here.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24V
Are there many people here in the state whose Florida Progressive insurance policy was cancelled?

I had one through Blanchard Insurance who were recommended here on several occasions in different threads. But now that it's canceled the agent I dealt with, Andy, is pretty much brushing my repeated requests to find me another policy off.

What insurance company/broker/agent are you using now in case your Progressive policy was also canceled?
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:25 AM   #80
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Are there many people here in the state whose Florida Progressive insurance policy was cancelled?

I had one through Blanchard Insurance who were recommended here on several occasions in different threads. But now that it's canceled the agent I dealt with, Andy, is pretty much brushing my repeated requests to find me another policy off.

What insurance company/broker/agent are you using now in case your Progressive policy was also canceled?
Oh wow, no more Blanchard?