Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 06:29 AM   #101

Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: International
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtunderwood View Post
So I just got back from the Orange County Tax Office in Downtown Orlando (on Jackson). I worked with Raymond for half an hour. He was confused at first but went out of his way to lookup the appropriate info in DMV forms TL-13 and TL-10 when I brought them up. So, if you're in Orlando, we have someone here that knows his stuff now. He actually said he was glad to learn how to do something new and different! The only thing I was missing was a weight slip. I was issued a 10 day temporary tag though which means I CAN FINALLY DRIVE MY BUS HOME!!!

So, here is what you should bring.
  • Vin/Odometer Verification Form (notarized)
    Title
    Proof of Insurance
    Conversion Affidavit
    Drivers License
    Weight Slip
    Patience (optional but recommended)
    $$$

Helpful links:
TL-10 http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF
TL-13 http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-13.PDF
VIN and ODO verification http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/82042.pdf
Weight Slip Affidavit http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82105.pdf
Conversion Affidavit - There is sample wording in TL-13 page 5

Hope this helps!
I have read about the TL-13 and have it ready, but what does the TL-10 add?
I'm researching it now but any real life DMV experience with it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #102
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubert View Post
I have read about the TL-13 and have it ready, but what does the TL-10 add?
I'm researching it now but any real life DMV experience with it would be greatly appreciated!
I think the TL 10 is just in case the person working there has no clue. It has all the info.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #103
Mini-Skoolie

This is a little off-topic, because not a skoolie, but is there any advantage insurance wise from converting an old Sprinter from a Florida "personal truck" registration to RV registration? I mentioned it to the woman at the DMV and she just gave me a look, like "I know you're not going there." She didn't otherwise answer.
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #104
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran 11 Window
Chassis: IHC
Engine: DT466e
I could see RV insurance being more affordable, as insurance companies typically assume the vehicles are only being operated part time. Kind of like antique vehicles. You should price it out before you go down that rabbit hole w/ the dmv.
paulnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #105
Mini-Skoolie

Do you think the insurance company would answer a hypothetical question? Which companies would you recommend for that?
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #106
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnack View Post
I could see RV insurance being more affordable, as insurance companies typically assume the vehicles are only being operated part time. Kind of like antique vehicles. You should price it out before you go down that rabbit hole w/ the dmv.
Insurance rates vary significantly depending on the location, driver and insurance company.

For me, here in Washington, RV insurance and registration are significantly cheaper than commercial for personal insurance and bus registration.

Your reasoning is correct. RV are typically driven very little compared to your daily driver. Since I have moved back to Maybury I don't put the miles on commuting like I used to. I get a discount on my truck insurance for low mileage. My agent asks me for my odometer reading twice a year.

Another insurance detail that is often missed: many insurance companies will let you suspend coverage if you are not driving for a while. I had mine suspend when I was ready to get the bus insulated. I called my insurance agent and she made an entry in the computer and poof instant insurance. When I got the bus home I called her back and had her suspend it again. IIRC: I do have to pay for a minimum duration. I think that it is a one week minimum. I spent less than $100 for bus insurance in 2019. Fortunately I had full coverage on the little bus when the tree fell on it. Once I get my Bluebird substantially completed I will either keep it insured when parked. Or, cut the last remaining tree down....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #107

Angry What DMV office to registering my bus

Really need help I have gone to 3 tax office DMV places to register my bus.
No luck
I have signed title, signed bill of sale, notarized vin/ mileage affidavit, notarized conversion affidavit, Ins, and weight slip,
and I printed out the tl-13 info to bring with me.
I keep being told I can't register and change from bus to motor home.

I am in Panama City FL
Has anyone registered a bus near me? What DMV office?
Any suggestions?

Thanks
tome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #108
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran 11 Window
Chassis: IHC
Engine: DT466e
I had all the same thing you have, and it worked for me... after 3 tries. I just kept asking to speak to supervisors, until I was sent to a regional office to get an ok from someone there. Then it was back to the local office to carry out the titling.

One of those cases where it matters who more than what. Good luck.
paulnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:18 AM   #109
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Any and all Florida offices should be able to do it. However, you are "fairly" close to Tallahassee ... take all the papers you have to an office there. If anyone knows what "THE STATE" wants, it is the capitol.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilitFox View Post
Hey KJones, how did it turn out with registering in FL? I'm in the same boat, about to try and register my bus in West Palm Beach. How about an update!
TwilitFox, did you ever figure your registration in West palm out? I'm acquiring an old city bus that has already been stripped out and need some details on the registration process if you don't mind.
Skullguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #111
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullguitar View Post
TwilitFox, did you ever figure your registration in West palm out? I'm acquiring an old city bus that has already been stripped out and need some details on the registration process if you don't mind.
Welcome first time poster....
Take a look at this thread... it’s all there....

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/f...ons-21010.html
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #112
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Smile FL Conversion Affidavit template

Here is our Conversion Affidavit ...

FL DMV Conversion Affidavit

As per Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Division of Motorist Services
procedure: TL-13 CERTIFICATE OF TITLE REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MOBILE HOMES AND OFFICE TRAILERS [http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-13.PDF], this document serves to provide affidavit for the conversion of the following vehicle:

VEHICLE INFORMATION:

VIN 1HVBCNPN2NH369718
WMI 1 - United States; HV - INTERNATIONAL BUS
MAKE 1992 INTERNATIONAL BUS
MODEL 4X2 3900 BUS CHASSIS
AXLES 2 AXLES
TYPE SCHOOL BUS
GVWR 26,001-33,000 LBS
CMV ID: A Web-based VIN Decoder for Trucks, Buses, and Trailers

This is to certify that I, Shelly Lynn Henry, owner of a 1992 International Bus with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) 1HVBCNPN2NH369718, hereby request the vehicle be classified as a recreational vehicle for the following reasons:

✓ Installed 110-volt electrical wiring
✓ Installed LP gas piping
✓ Installed plumbing system

Signature Date

_________________________________ __________________________
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #113

Rv or MotorHome

Is anyone getting hit with "we can't register it as an RV, the state of Florida will only register it as a MotorHome."

Is this(registeted as a MotorHome) correct for a title to be considered a RV/MotoHome?

EDIT: im in Pinellas County /Clearwater
Cincy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #114
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
A Motor Home *is* a Recreational Vehicle, one with a motor in it. You don’t need to tow it with something else to go places.

All MHs are RVs, not all RVs are MHs.

So yeah, MH is fine.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #115
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy83 View Post
Is anyone getting hit with "we can't register it as an RV, the state of Florida will only register it as a MotorHome."

Is this(registeted as a MotorHome) correct for a title to be considered a RV/MotoHome?

EDIT: im in Pinellas County /Clearwater
Florida DMV process does not have an "RV" designation for the title.

Here is the manual for Florida titles.
https://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/tl/tl-13.pdf

Section 320.01(1) (b), Florida Statutes, define recreational vehicles as units primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use having either its own motive power, mounted on, or drawn by another vehicle. The basic entities are:

Motor Home: A vehicular unit which does not exceed the length, height and width limitations provided in s. 316.515, Florida Statutes, is a self-propelled motor vehicle, and is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

Private Motor Coach: A vehicular unit which does not exceed the length, width, and height limitations provided in s. 316.515(9), Florida Statutes, is built on a self-propelled bus type chassis having no fewer than three load-bearing axles, and is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

Van Conversion: A vehicular unit which does not exceed the length and width limitations
provided in s. 316.515, Florida Statutes, is built on a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis, and is designed for recreation, camping and travel use.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #116
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
Bill of sale issue??? Maybe? Was my deal shady? Lol

So I posted something similar in the Vermont post.

The guy I bought the bus from, I venmo him 6700 he gave me the original title. The original title is from the school district in GA and is only signed on the seller lines by a school district employee.

He "said" lol that the venmo description was ok for a bill of sale. It did say the vin year and miles. I guess I need to figure out how to print that up.

My question is, I need a plate to drive around until my conversion is done. Then I'll go through the bus to mh registration deal.

All my seats are out and the bus has insurance.

How do I register the bus until I'm ready to make it officially a mh/rv?

Any guidance would help as I'm not trying to get screwed saying the wrong thing to the wrong person...
Old 06-24-2022, 06:43 PM   #117
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau View Post
So I posted something similar in the Vermont post.

The guy I bought the bus from, I venmo him 6700 he gave me the original title. The original title is from the school district in GA and is only signed on the seller lines by a school district employee.

He "said" lol that the venmo description was ok for a bill of sale. It did say the vin year and miles. I guess I need to figure out how to print that up.

My question is, I need a plate to drive around until my conversion is done. Then I'll go through the bus to mh registration deal.

All my seats are out and the bus has insurance.

How do I register the bus until I'm ready to make it officially a mh/rv?

Any guidance would help as I'm not trying to get screwed saying the wrong thing to the wrong person...
Real simple, fill out an affidavit of conversion, go get your tags, job done.

They do not inspect it for registration purposes and if ever questioned, you took everything out and started all over again

My bus was an out of state bus so a vin verification is required, mandatory!

Easy fix… my bus was a Kentucky bus. Simple vin verification form, notarized by a Notary, problem solved!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:54 PM   #118
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Real simple, fill out an affidavit of conversion, go get your tags, job done.
!
Even with no "real" bill of sale?
Old 06-24-2022, 09:12 PM   #119
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau View Post
Even with no "real" bill of sale?
I am confused….

You said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau
Please clarify what you meant by saying he gave you the original title.
Does your Ga. title have a place on it for putting in the sale price ?