Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejotsv View Post
Hi! I am new here, so lots of questions, a few answers. I read the thread and I got what to do after the conversion.

You mentioned you had it registered as a personal bus, this would be my first step (I haven't bought the bus yet). So...
1) How do you register it as a personal bus?
2) When do you do this? My main concerns are how to drive it from the place where I buy it to the place where I will keep it, insurance, and the need of a special license to actually drive it.

Thank you so much for sharing all the info you know. This is an awesome community and I can't wait to be a real part of it.
A lot of what you ask is dependent on the state you are to register it in.

In Florida, you do not have to have the vehicle present when you register it. I am in the process of moving to Florida and currently live in Texas. I have relatives in Florida. I sent all the paperwork to my relatives and they registered it for me. The biggest snag in the whole process was the insurance. In hindsight, I would contact Kelly Newsome with Allstate (352-326-9300 KellyNewsome1@Allstate.com). She understands the skoolie community and can write in many states. She has many contacts in those states she can not write. After securing insurance, it is all paperwork.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

No way in Miami to do RV conversion

Hi, I visited 11 TAG agencies 2 DMW and Dpto of motorist services of FHP and the option to change the category of commercial bus to RV is denied in Miami FL.
For be short in my story
- TAG agencies says have to be done in DMW facilities
- DMW say if I haven't made modifications to external dimensions, chassis or structure have to be done in TAG agencies, they just do body modification, but I dont made any external or body modification (TAG agencies suggest that i should do some body modification like open a hole or weld something)
- Motorist department and Florida Highway Patrol say is illegal drive a commercial bus converted to RV, they printed to me de affidavit TL-13 where I declare that already have 110 Volts, plumbing and LP gas piping but they cant tell me how go further in this paperwork black hole.
Question:
Do somebody know a place in south Florida were they know they job or have experience with this for go straight to some place where somebody have a willing to help me out with this?

I already make a call for the supervisor at the field operations south district headquarters in Miami, West Pal, Fort Lauderdale and due to CV19 they just take a message and say that will call back or connect the phone call with other and other persons which not have any idea how to do that. Thanks for any help in advance. I have the entire 2020 trying to do that for hit the road with my conversion but look mission imposible.
https://ufocatcherbus.blogspot.com/2...struction.html
UfoCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:59 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
The TL-13 is the key. Fill it out, sign it, and take it in to request a change in title. Yes, it *is* that simple.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Have you gone to see your state representatives yet? I had a situation here in New Mexico many years ago with the same typical lazy don't give a damn state employee attitude, and after my visit to my state senator he made a phone call for me and they were jumping through their asses to get me on the road. Fixed in 24 hours. Might give it a try. Remember as an rv owner we all know and have seen that crap rolls down hill.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoCatcher View Post
Hi, I visited 11 TAG agencies 2 DMW and Dpto of motorist services of FHP and the option to change the category of commercial bus to RV is denied in Miami FL.
For be short in my story
- TAG agencies says have to be done in DMW facilities
- DMW say if I haven't made modifications to external dimensions, chassis or structure have to be done in TAG agencies, they just do body modification, but I dont made any external or body modification (TAG agencies suggest that i should do some body modification like open a hole or weld something)
- Motorist department and Florida Highway Patrol say is illegal drive a commercial bus converted to RV, they printed to me de affidavit TL-13 where I declare that already have 110 Volts, plumbing and LP gas piping but they cant tell me how go further in this paperwork black hole.
Question:
Do somebody know a place in south Florida were they know they job or have experience with this for go straight to some place where somebody have a willing to help me out with this?

I already make a call for the supervisor at the field operations south district headquarters in Miami, West Pal, Fort Lauderdale and due to CV19 they just take a message and say that will call back or connect the phone call with other and other persons which not have any idea how to do that. Thanks for any help in advance. I have the entire 2020 trying to do that for hit the road with my conversion but look mission imposible.
https://ufocatcherbus.blogspot.com/2...struction.html
A friend of mine just changed her title less than 45 days ago.
She went to the Coral Gables Tag agency.
1418 Ponce de Leon Blvd.

The lady there has already done a few.
Make sure your application is filled out along with the affidavit and bring your insurance card too.

Where in Miami are you from?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #46

I think all of you have just become my new best friends. LOL. I am just now really getting into looking at a tour bus to convert and there are so many unknowns that were just answered for me. You guys are a huge gold mine of information that I am going to dig out.

This title conversion part had me stumped. It's so hard to find clear information on the process when it turns out to be pretty simple.

A few questions...
Should I get the title in my name while it's still registered as commercial or is it better to just wait until I am far enough along to get the title converted to RV?

Do I need to get the tag and insurance right away if it will be parked until the renovations are completed?
CrazyMomOf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Chassis: IC PB10500 CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 48
So it seems that in FL it depends on the TAG office you go to as well as the Motor Vehicles Field Operations Region.

I followed the instructions given the previous posts and that process did not work for me. I took the TL-13 and the affidavit of the changes made. The clerk asked the manager, the manager called the State. I waited. The end result was I was as instructed to get an inspection at West Palm. I called the West Palm field office and they said they don't inspect buses. I did ask for Ursula at the field office, but she is no longer in the manager there. Marianne is the current manager. The tag office spoke to Marianne and then to Marianne's manager. The end result was I needed an inspection from a major RV manufacturer. Obviously they didn't want to have anything to do with titleing a bus as an RV.

So I read further and someone mentioned Coral Gables, FL. So we went there. Yes, that worked, no weight slip needed. Need not be resident of the county, need not be resident of FL, need not register with instate address.

The end result is whether or not you can get this done depends on the Region. Region 9 seems to be out. But if you do happen to walk into a tag office in region 9 and they don't have any questions, then maybe you can get it done. But if they start making phone calls, it's probably out.
kevinstotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I had the same thing happen to me the first time I tried. The manager called a person at
WPB inspections and he said to them I needed to have it inspected. They gave me his number so I called in the parking lot and he was quoting old rules. I told him what the affidavit read in the section that applies to an individual; he looked it up right then on the phone with me and confirmed I was correct. He apologized and said that he would make it easy on me by just have me send him pictures of the bus and he would email me an inspection ticket. I did that but never heard back. I think he got cold feet on approving it when he saw pictures of a gutted bus with a inverter mounted to the wall,lol. But I felt I met the requirements and went back up to the dmv a week later and insisted that I met requirements. Half an hour later(and I think they called said dude again) they were issuing my new title.

I think it is important to point out to the dmv that TL-13 is their manual/reference for all FL DMVs and not just something you printed off the internet. They just have to not be lazy and read through it...
Flipmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Form HSMV 82040

I was looking at TL-13 for the state of FL. I noticed at the end it mentioned Form HSMV 82040 in addition to the affidavit that electrical, LP, or plumbing was installed. Right now my bus is titled as a bus for private use. I have 110 electric installed and want to get the title changed. Did you also bring in form HSMV 82040 or just the affidavit, title, and TL-13 as reference?
Thanks!
SeekingDiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I did nothing with HSMV 82040. Just brought in my affidavit that also included the FL perjury clause, the current title in my name, and the TL-13 with the section II - F highlighted(page 4) so they can easily find the part that applies to us. More than likely the clerk(s) are going to look through the TL-13 multiple times so having the highlighted section and reminding them that part is what applies to your situation will help keep them focused. There's lots of stuff in the TL-13 that doesnt apply to an owner builder of a bus.
Flipmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:25 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: IC PB10500 CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 48
The 82040 form is the standard form all title transactions use. Fill it out the best you can, chances are it will be incorrect and they will fill it out again there. That is what happened to me.

I was also told by the tag office in Stuart and in west palm that the tl-13 really doesn't apply to school buses. That is why so many managers were spoken with. I am not sure there is a form form school buses and thus the rules are developed on the fly and are different for different regions.
kevinstotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:01 AM   #52
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstotz View Post
I was also told by the tag office in Stuart and in west palm that the tl-13 really doesn't apply to school buses. That is why so many managers were spoken with. I am not sure there is a form form school buses and thus the rules are developed on the fly and are different for different regions.
I respectfully disagree with the information you were provided.

On page 5 of the TL-13 form you will find the conversion affidavit information which basically confirms an RV conversion has taken place.
While yes I would agree that the words "School Bus" is not on the form, this is immaterial due to the fact that you are confirming an RV conversion.

The form does not ask what the previous platform the conversion was done on. Simply put, the previous platform is not important. what is important is new title reflecting the actual "New" body type which in this case is an RV.

The rules are not made up on the fly, the TL-13 comes straight from their operating manual! It is the process that they must follow in order to issue a new title.

I'll agree that because of lack of knowledge on the individual tag agency office emplyees you will get different explanations but at the end of the day they must follow the instructions set forth not only on TL-13 but the entire procedures spelled out in their Motor Vehicles Procedures Manual.

The entire manual can be found here -> https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...cedure-manual/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tl-13.pdf (379.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staci View Post
I walked into the Citrus County DMV with the AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE OF BODY TYPE that the DMV has on their website for Florida. It is a simple form. It does not ask about what you did to convert. My only fail was not having a weight slip. We drove it to a quarry that was very close and they weighed the bus for us and gave us a weight slip. I went back to the DMV and the change was immediate. We bought the bus from an auction and the DMV sighed (loudly) because they had no idea as to whether the man from the school board had the authorization to sign as seller. After a call to the school board i walked out with my motohome title.

Did you have to do anything to the bus to have the title switched to a motorhome title? Or did you buy the bus and then take the title to the dmv and they just did it. I see some people say you have to have 1 of 3 things installed before you can retitle it. Is this true?
Skullguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:28 AM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American series 3605–3706
Engine: Cat3126B 7.2L 6L DIESEL
Rated Cap: 72 PASS
Hey guys, just bought my School bus yesterday Florida tittle and bill of sale. I need to register bus and change classification to rv motor home? I typed up the affidavit (uploaded the image). I was told to choose that I installed the gas and to just remove seats and put a table with a portable gas propane stove over it so the notary can sign it as proof? that it would be enough... and i could get my florida registration and transfer tittle...is that accurate?

Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:41 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullguitar View Post
Did you have to do anything to the bus to have the title switched to a motorhome title? Or did you buy the bus and then take the title to the dmv and they just did it. I see some people say you have to have 1 of 3 things installed before you can retitle it. Is this true?
I saw a video on youtube from a FL couple to download a package and do an affidavit that you installed a gas camp stove and thats it. some other people say you need to remove the seats but can leave a couple seat and black out the school bus sign and bus business name. im trying to get that info but im going to go into the tittle agency and try just with the affidavit for the camp stove and see what happens, the worst that can happen is that they say no. Heres the youtube vid https://youtu.be/MK2yREIr5xI and my affidavit.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:52 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
I respectfully disagree with the information you were provided.

On page 5 of the TL-13 form you will find the conversion affidavit information which basically confirms an RV conversion has taken place.
While yes I would agree that the words "School Bus" is not on the form, this is immaterial due to the fact that you are confirming an RV conversion.

The form does not ask what the previous platform the conversion was done on. Simply put, the previous platform is not important. what is important is new title reflecting the actual "New" body type which in this case is an RV.

The rules are not made up on the fly, the TL-13 comes straight from their operating manual! It is the process that they must follow in order to issue a new title.

I'll agree that because of lack of knowledge on the individual tag agency office emplyees you will get different explanations but at the end of the day they must follow the instructions set forth not only on TL-13 but the entire procedures spelled out in their Motor Vehicles Procedures Manual.

The entire manual can be found here -> https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...cedure-manual/
Hello, Im new to the conversion process, I live in Miami, FL and I watched this vid https://youtu.be/MK2yREIr5xI and typed up this affidavit (attached) do i really need to remove the seats and put a propane camp stove to show the notary? and is the affidavit okay or too much?
Old 09-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #57

Does this work in collier county? Can I still do this even though it’s not converted yet?
lexrosaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

I could say from the whole Miami, because I have moved a lot of times. Finally I´m about to desist and sell my bus. Can´t make the conversion and get my plate. 2022 Im done...

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9A&oe=62F6D498
UfoCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexrosaa View Post
Does this work in collier county? Can I still do this even though it’s not converted yet?
Yes & yes…

Old 08-19-2022, 05:13 PM   #60

Anybody more recently have success??

Has anybody had success changing the title in FL in the last few months??

Or anybody who went to that coral gables office have a name of who helped them??

Not having success in Broward county or calling the number given for that supervisor in palm beach.
sewXcute is offline   Reply With Quote