Old 01-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Almost There

getting the title?

So I have never bought a used vehicle before(im 23 and my parents signed for the car i bought new a few years ago). when i go to pick up the bus, how do i know for sure im not getting screwed over? should i just go to the dmv with the seller and do it directly through them?
carneiro1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Any public notary can witness the sale. Try your bank first. Sometimes they offer that service at no charge to you.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Check with your DMV and/or police/sheriff/law enforcement. They'll be familiar with actual legal requirements in your area. They may also be familiar with fraud schemes that happen to be prevalent there now and may have helpful tips for protecting yourself.

I'll bet that school buses aren't so popular for curb-stoners to steal and sell as, say, a recent model sedan or an antique. Not enough easily-duped buyers, or buyers of any kind really, for quickly unloading something so quirky as a generic school bus.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
title

get the vin number, there are a few web sites, sometimes even the dmv site will allow you to run the vin, do this to confirm the person selling the bus has the bus title in there name, you can even ask to check their drivers license to make sure it matches the name on the title,

after you buy it go to the tax assessor collectors office or what ever place does vehicle titles in your state to have the title transferred into your name, do just a title only so you dont have to pay much,
Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 AM   #5
Almost There

"have the title transferred into your name, do just a title only so you dont have to pay much"
i mean besides the title what else is there? i thought it was only the title.
so safest thing is to go to the dmv im assuming and do it there
carneiro1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Indiana no longer requires a notary, haven't for years. Title is bill of sale with spaces for price and date. Typically, seller signs and you fill in the rest. Purchase price is on there so the state knows what to charge for sales tax. Every state is different,
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Sales tax? Whazzat? We don't have no steenkin' sales tax here in Montana.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Title only transfers ownership to you. Running it on the road requires <gasp> license plates and <gasp><gasp>INSURANCE!
Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
If you're worried about it having a salvage title or damage you could check a VIN# website (I have been happy with carfax), but it will say salvage on the paper title as well.

As far as mechanical, you can check it out yourself after some research on checking diesels (I did this), or you can ask to have a mechanic check it over (which may be difficult considering it is a bus).

I suggest you bring and fill out a Bill Of Sale, freely available online. This is just a back-up to the Title proving the sale and your ownership.

Most states have a couple days where you do not need new plates, some states require the plate to go with the vehicle, and others require it to stay with the original owner. You will need insurance if your state requires it. And if it is registered as a school bus you are also required to have a CDL. If you don't, you can risk driving it or find someone who can. Third option would be to pay the current owner to drive it to your storage location for an extra cost.

You will also have to get vehicle registration of course, again depending on your state as to how soon you must get it. In WI there is a line "when did you first drive it in the state" because they require it to be registered within 2 days of purchasing (which is when you get your plates)

Check online and/or with your local DMV for your state's regulations
and also know what it takes to get registration and change title to Motor Home. If your state requires an inspection before getting registration, you will probably have to register it as a bus. I got lucky and was able to register it as a motor home immediately (registration not title)
Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyhousebus View Post
And if it is registered as a school bus you are also required to have a CDL.
Not necessarily so. Check with YOUR state's requirements concerning a license for operating a bus. PLEASE don't rely on what you hear from others regarding a CDL or endorsements. Get the facts from YOUR state's DMV or State Police.